Options

A marathon in 4:15 (or maybe less)

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow USB.  I hope the weather stays a bit cooler for you.  Go, go, go!
  • Options

Forecast is looking like we may have a bit of moisture image

RR - that's a good idea about the Shotbloks as long as they don't make my tissues sticky!

Minni - thanks

Trying to decide whether to do some ironing or pack my kit

• Options
    elspeth fayelspeth fay ✭✭✭

Bridget - good luck for tomorrow.image

Alison is a bit north of Inverness, imagine Aberdeen a bit far to go for a 5k! Guess an Inverness one may happen sometime.

• Options

Good luck tomorrow Bridgetimage

Yes 17miles north of Inverness, would be too far to go to Aberdeen for a 5k, will have a go at working out a route somewhere, and test it out on our club a couple of times first to see if workable/feasible!

• Options
    Best of luck USB xxxx
  • Options
    Kit in bag and bottles labelled with my number.  Need to get the Sat Nav out of Mr USB's car next.
  • Options
    just want to say good luckimageimage
  • Options

Thanks for all the good wishes.  Everyone is telling me that Halstead is a lovely course so I should enjoy myself regardless!

seren - How's the toe doing?

• Options
    Good luck today, USB image

• Options
    Good luck Bridget, hope it goes well today and most of all that you have fun doing it.
  • Options

Enjoy yourself today USB, was thinking of you whilst out trotting this monring, am sure you'll have fininshed by nowimage.

• Options

USB.....hope its gone well...............still not running cause of the toe,...but I can cycle which is good................will hopefully start running before the end of the month...I actually really miss it...........#

• Options
    Hope all is well USB
  • Options

PF - with a 10 am start I'd have been pushing it to have finished by 1.15 even at my best.

And today wasn't my best.  5:03:16 on the Garmin image  Once again I just couldn't maintain the pace but it was better than Paris in that I was at least running below or at my PB pace for 12 miles.  I didn't feel ill but did start to suffer with an awful stitch that forced me to walk every so often.

However - I discovered that I really needed to run a marathon regardless to get my confidence back.  I had thought I was fine about Paris but when a marshal commented at 25.5 miles that I didn't have far to go before I got my medal I nearly burst into tears.  As I approached the finish line I did blub.

I'd recommend this race to anyone and will be going back.  The organisation is fab, I was able to have my own drinks at a couple of the water stations and my numbe was called ahead so it was ready for me.  The goody bag was great too.

I've now got a few things to think about after once again finding a mismatch between training and racing.  I'm wondering whether the current state of my hormones means that hot weather racing is just not for me at the moment.

• Options
    Well done for getting round ((Bridget)) I think most of us would have had a relieved blub at the end too if we'd been through what you have this last month image
  • Options

Frodo - it took me by surprise because I really thought I'd dealt with Paris, picked myself up and moved on.

I forgot to take any suncream with me image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    So glad that you like Halstead marathon.
  • Options
    tricialitttricialitt ✭✭✭

well done!

Hey ((USB)) hope you can take away that "I did it" feeling- and not worry too much about what the clock said when you finished.

Hey- time to relaxx now, take it easy ,and just enjoy running for what it is, rather than try to beat imaginary targets that mean nothing to anyone-  you've done great, so don't beat yourself upabout it- just enjoy the rest of the summer.

• Options

Thanks Tricia

There is still the little matter of 32 miles on Dartmoor in 4 weeks time but the only target there is to hit the cut offs (and I hear there is a rather nice pub at the 2nd one which will be full of supporters with money image )

I'm a bit achy this morning but the test will be after I've spent half an hour in the car and the 2 flights of stairs up to work

• Options
    USB:  well done you, be proud of yourself, a marathon is a very long wayimageimage, great to be back out there.  Inspired me to stop dallying around about how I'm going to run the jersey half on the 22nd, will just go and give it my best whatever that may be on the day.  Having run yesterday without my watch, and really enjoyed myself, am toying with the idea of running the 1/2 watchless so that I listen to my body rather than worry about pace.  Any comments/advice welcome.
  • Options
    I've often toyed with that idea, PF - I mean, isn't that how we all started out in this game, just running by feel? But every time, I lose my nerve at the last minute and put the gadget on image
  • Options
    Know what you mean, but was so enjoyable running yesterday without it, no pressure at all, was lovely.  Am going to give it some serious thought though.image
  • Options

Well done Bridget image

PF I got my half marathon PB without my Garmin.....

• Options

Well done USB for getting round. It's funny how what goes on in your head during a long race is often quite different from what you expected? Good to get rid of the Paris ghosts.

And as for blubbing - I've done 4 marathons and wanted to have a good howl at some point during all of them (I nearly burst into tears at the Expo in London when they played the 'marathon music', for goodness sake!). image

• Options

blubbing - isn't that a compulsory part of a marathonimage,

Flo:  am definitely thinking about leaving watch at home, it will also make me start nearer the front rather than at the back me thinks!!!

• Options
    I'm thinking of going gadget free at the Manchester 10K on Sunday; I'm so off form with speed, that I think the Garmin pace readouts will just depress me. The next step down will be to wear my old Polar HRM, so at least I can get feedback on effort. Any thoughts?
  • Options

Morning.

Belated image USB, sorry, I've been image so missed the race last weekend, but image for getting around.  I'm sure that there was much more pressure on you than you'd have thought - for a variety of reasons, so you did bliddy well. 

Frodo - you know me, I'm an HRM kind of laydee, but I'm happy to wear mine and not be ruled by it - I can run with the Garmin (+ chest strap) so that I've got the info, but I don't have to keep looking at it every 5 seconds and changing my pace etc according to what I see.  I feel a bit odd without it - bit like a running security blanketimage.  At the moment, I'm "running to feel" but wearing the kit to keep a record (afterwards) but also, out of curiosity, to see how I'm getting on as I'm running (and also to check out HRs!).

• Options

Hi

Mind if I join in your thread USB

Did post once or twice on your previous thread. You mustn't forget that 26.2 miles is a damn long way and nobody can predict what will happen on the day, whatever the weather conditions. Just saw your post on the Paris thread. Don't give up. Why don't you just run for fun