Rutland Water Marathon

13»

Comments

• It does say that you can leave a carrier bag with a warm top in but I wouldn't want to leave anything else in that. Not a problem as I always carry a lightweight wind top in my bum bag.

As there are no showers etc. I don't need a bag.

• Think their description of a "carrier bag" is a bit odd. image
    Guess they just don't want a load of huge holdalls to cart between the start and finish. Once of those small kit bags they give out at various big city marathons would be fine, I'll not be using a Tesco carrier bag though.
  • Yep. The undulation at 21 miles is mildly aggressive. You can leave a proper kit bag where you check in at the finish. Its a 20 minute walk to the start from there so wear a jumper for the walk and put it in a carrier bag and they'll take it back to the finish/carpark/check in.
  • Thanks TimR.

No mention of anywhere to leave bags at check in area! Might leave it in our car and carry the key. Other half always does that but he will finish a long way ahead of me.

Just need to be able to locate kit if I can't find him at the end!

• I'm sure there was a tent to leave kit in last year. I can't see them not providing one.

My running has been really poor the last few days. Friday night was a struggle to get 10miles in and I walked twice, today 8 miles just as bad. Picked up a funny niggle in my ankle when going down stairs. Oh well supposed to be tapering anyway and don't remember that many stairs.

I've not had a chance to practice over cattle grids either. Oh well I'm sure I'll get the hang of them pretty quickly again. 

Now looking forward to next week. I'm number 377.

• I'm number 222 - i did Fenland 10 today as a warm up for this, my second marathon - did Mablethorpe a few weeks ago when it was 29 degrees so hopefully be ok for this one - any help and advice beforehand and on route greatly appreciated.

• Don't worry Tim R, when you taper your body identifies all sorts of niggles that never existed before just to worry you!  Rest/ cross train between now and the race and you will find that your energy tank and enthusiasm will return image

A friend who lives locally says that road shoes should be fine unless this monsoon weather keeps up as some bits might be slippery after very heavy rain.  I'm packing both just in case.

• Weather forecast looks o.k. dry at least.

Guess we had better get there early to get a parking place.

See you all there.

• what a great race. the most beautiful scenery iv seen in a marathon. id planned for the worst- i.e. loads of undulations/hills and cattle grids and i wasnt disappointed!!! tough marathon but really enjoyable despite this. would def do it again next year- well done to all that completed today.
  • Was a fantastic course to run on and we had great weather today.

There was a lot of hills though and they just never stopped, just about managed to keep it going. Was a well organised event and no complaints from me, well apart from whoever positioned the 24mile marker.

There was a few choice words shouted in the direction of the watching sheep at that point and the idea of an extra 0.75 mile plus from what I was expecting at that point scared me. Was thankful when the finish arch appeared on queue.
  • Great race! - scenic course, friendly runners and some good banter, enthusiastic supporters (just how did the amazing lady in the orange coat get to so many spectator points? Did anyone else see her or was I hallucinating?), but I definitely need to rethink my approach to those cattle grids next year.. Any tips from those nimble types I saw practically leaping over them appreciated! 

• I went gingerly over the cattle grids too, took it as a small chance to rest. People behind me took it as a chance to gain/ pass me, but I wasn't going to risk it.

Walked through all the water stations as well for a bit of rest andto make sure I actually took on water. Got a bit dehydrated the night before due to getting thing a bit wrong with my diabetic insulin pump so was just making sure I and giving myself a moment to check I still felt ok as often as possible.
  • All round Good race I agree with everyone. Didn't get to look at the scenery as much as I'd have liked due the hills killing me!!!

Great first marathon for me and spectators with jelly beans were very much appreciated.

Robin like you I had a few choise words when I got to the 24 mile marker but glad when the finish appeared.

VERY BIG thank you to one of the 100 Marathon Club for the encouragement and advice between miles 9-21. Well done on your 460th marathon, you know who you are. image

• Great race yesterday. The weather was amazing and the course very scenic. Sadly the hills over the las four miles, combined with the high number of cattle grids, consipired to stop me getting my first sub four hour run.
  • i was expecting it to be alot hiller to be honest there was not any real singnificant hills of length,stunning course though missed out on sub 4 by 6 mins damn
  • Yeah, it wasn't really a "hilly" course I guess in the technical definition of such things. But the constant changes were enough to ruin any rhythm I found. Short sharp up hill of a few meters, short sharp downhill of a few meters...then rinse and repeat constantly for 26 miles made it pretty tough.
  • I agree Robin, the course isn't hilly in comparision to some (the Spen 20 and the Bishop Wilton Half) but the constant undulations are very wearing on your legs. Like you say, it makes it more difficult to run at a steady pace. Still, it was a fantastic run and well worth doing.
  • Well done all who completed this - anyone else find it hard on the kness (especially the cattle grids)?
  • Absolutely blew up in the last 6miles, managed a 3:48 in the end, but those ups n downs dented my confidence a bit. Found it tougher than i expected. But as stated it wasn't a real 'Hilly' mara.

I was the guy in the Lliswerry / Newport vest crawling to the finsih line, walking far too much!!!

• I had 2 aims - sub 4 and to run all the way and I did both (3:33 with the last 5 miles being tough but 30 minutes better than last year)

I really like the event as it is hard work but my 'scamper' up the hills technique which I have been working on seemed to work well

Wind was a bit cool at the start but soon warmed up and then just tried to keep going and plod it out

Will look to do it again next year and knock a  few more minutes off if I can

• My first time at Rutland and thought it was a cracking marathon. No massive hills but plenty of ups and downs. I knew this was going to be a plod for me as the old legs still had the previous week's Snowdonia marathon in them but the slower pace gave me more time to enjoy the views.

• Great marathon, wonderfully 'low key'.  Fantastic scenery, the undulating profile kept it interesting and the cattle grids added more variety still.  The last 6 miles exposed the lack of runs over 20 miles in my build up but hit my goal of sub 4 HRS by just 4 mins.  Only observation would be that given the unusually clement weather one more drink station toward the end of the course would have been welcome (or I should have carried a bottle!).

Superb support all the way round, good organisation, on my list for next year.

• Hey everyone, just letting you know that photos are up: http://bit.ly/vCLBZL

It looks like it was a great day, the runners all look so happy! How do you do it?!?
  • Wow, what an incredible location!  This was my 4th marathon having done 3 Londons in the past and it couldn't be any more removed from the hustle and bustle of the nation's capital. I loved the tranquil setting and the stunning scenery plus the organisation was brilliant and the support uplifting.

The only moan to echo others, was the position of the 24 mile maker.  That nearly finished off my soul thinking there was another half mile on top of what my garmin had measured.  Hearing the music of the finish line spurred me on though.

I was pleased to get round by running the whole stretch (except for a couple of inclines in the last couple of miles) and delighted with a time of 4:31 too.

Thank you to Fat Feet for putting on a great event and I will be entering some more of your challenges next year.

• A nice scenic one. I chose this one as it was by the same organisers as Grimsthorpe, & thought it would be an interesting one that respected the slower runners. (Getting greeted by the organiser on the finish line, medal in hand, was a nice touch for us slow buggers.....)

Quite a tough one, especially after back to back marathons every week for 3 months......image Fairly hilly throughout. But good course, & far more interesting than plodding round a big city road marathon.

No water left at the 12 mile drink station, so got a bit dehydrated. Water in bottles would be helpful.

I made it a bit short....??

I'll be back for the Grimsthorpe 70 & half marathon in July. image

• Ohhhhh -  I see the words hillyimage 

How hilly is it and where are the biggest hills - start or finish -  from the organizers website it says undulating - helpppppppp

I am now feeling a little scared

• There is a profile on the website. The worst 'undulation' is at around 21miles.

There are cattle grids which take a bit of mastering or gates by the side if you're happier to slow down. Most of the gates were held open by volunteers towards the beginning.

Last 18miler done yesterday. I'm looking forward to it now. Much better prepared than last two years.
  • It's not really hilly, nothing you need to walk up, in fact if you are used to running in the peak or lake districts you would describe it as flattish image