DVD of Finish Line & Tv Coverage :-)

Anyone wanting DVD's of the finish line from the VLM 2011 and a copy of the tv coverage, as usual ( I do this every year ) can sponsor my chosen charity for minimally £8 and receive in the post a DVD of the finish line cameras covering their finish time plus a copy of the BBC's TV Coverage.

You need to email me on vlmdvd@garrod.f9.co.uk with your address and finish times (both gun time and chip time if you can please).

I am currently waiting for the charity, Home Start Bridgend to register with just giving. Once they have done this there will be a page up for you to donate to electronically. If you really can't wait then I can reply to your email with an address and you can send a cheque payable to 'Home Start Bridgend'. Please send the cheque to me and not the charity so I know who has paid. I will forward them to Home Start.

Alex image

Comments

• Oh, and plese DON'T use the runners world 'Message' or 'Inbox' as it is a bit too clunky for the quantity of emails I may well recieve.

• WA,
    through to what finishing time did the TV coverage go?
  • Finish cams is normally start + 6:15 hrs and tv coverage according to the web was till 2pm but my epg had it down as 2:15. It is there or thereabouts. Will have to confirm the start cams coverage when I get the discs through as my mate does them for me. Its been start  + 6:15 for the last few years though. 

• So you're knocking out copyrighted material, right?
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Intermanaut wrote (see)
    So you're knocking out copyrighted material, right?
    all for charity though so everything is ok. image
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    He's a good man that WA and he makes a lot of people very happy. No one else offers this service!!!image
  • Intermanaut wrote - " So you're knocking out copyrighted material, right? "

No, actually. I did check this on the bbc website somewhere a few years back and there is a public licence that makes this particular stuff redistributable if it is not for profit, albeit it only covers some aspects of the BBC's output so for instance you could not copy Dr Who. I don't recieve any money and in fact for every donation I actually pay for the dvd and postage out of my own pocket.

Over the last few years a Swansea Hospice and a Blind Childrens Charity have benefited to the tune of several thousand pounds and I have paid out of my own pocket probably about £1000 to send these dvd's out.

• A Stray in a Manger wrote (see)
    He's a good man that WA and he makes a lot of people very happy. No one else offers this service!!!image
    Can't agree more....image   . WA has done this service for the past few years and has allowed many people, me included, to be able to show their moment of glory to their respective families...some who couldn't watch the race on the day for a variety of reasons....... long may he continue...
  • @skotty - charities, not-for-profits, and individuals action for or on behalf of them, are not exempt from copyright restrictions.

@A Stray in a Manger, @Gatton - his character and fund-raising prowess are irrelevant.
  • So Intermanaut, are you going to report WA for doing something for years where all
    income goes to charity. Just questioning whether you love being a spoilsport.
  • @runnerman - rather than a spoilsport I'm someone who's had his copyrighted work exploited by other organisations without permission or payment. That ended up with the involvement of very expensive solicitors and an OOC settlement.

Defending copyright has nothing whatsoever to do with sportsmanship - not even gamesmanship.

WA should consider whether the BBC public licence (I can't find anything on the BBC site that mentions that) has changed, and what additional trouble he could find himself in should other providers of content determine that their copyright has been abused. It's entirely possible that, while the BBC broadcast the coverage, that there are elements of it that the BBC uses only under licence, and has no right to redistribute.
  • Just a shame that this has descended in to a debate about copyright. It is some years since when I first did this someone brought up the copyright issue. It took a good bit of digging to find the relevant stuff then and five minutes on google earlier did not help me relocate it.

I would be devastated if I thought that anything I had done in raising thousands for charity at my own personal expense over the last few years had deprived the BBC or others of any income, as this was not my remotest intention and were I to have thought that this would be a commercial release by the BBC or others at any time I would steer clear. I have not checked if the public licence has changed since I last found the relevant bit but all in all for a small amount of dvds and in the context of what I have been doing have not felt it necessary to check every year.

I am however so sorry that you and copyright you hold has been exploited in the past Intermanaut and I appreciate how it must hurt you when you think others are dong the same. I do hope though that even if you can't find the relevant terms on the internet you will appreciate that there is unlikely to be any harm to any copyright holders here and the only people who gain each year are either cancer patients, blind children or this year a support work organisation for young families in the bridgend area

Feel free to drop me a message in my RW Inbox and I should be more than pleased to discuss in any issues in a friendly and rounded way without malice or jugement.

• Prison for the Welshman. Hope he get a £1000 fine. Have contacted the authorities. What a see you next tuesday

• Can hear the rope being tied in brigend now

• I am doomed by the looks of it image
  • I for one would like the dvd once you confirm the finish camera is to the end.  I completed in 4hrs 42 so I wasn't on the BBC recording (mum did it for me).

Let us know when the just giving is set up.

Liz

• Cheers Alex

will sort out

sounds good,would love a copy as Sue Barker did not feature me in the main programme!

• Well done for doing this. Managed to donate to your 2007 charity too by mistake!

Have e-mailed your my details

Nigel
  • Hi Mate

How long does it take you to send it out once donated. Im going away and would not want to miss it.

Thanks
  • hi im interested in a dvd, are you still doing them ?
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Yes, no probs Samantha.

Should have everyones dvds out by the end of this week.

• Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Those dvd's I have not mailed out today will be out tomorrow. Sorry it has taken a while but it is loads of work and between my work, two small kids etc etc etc ....

• Hi Alex, I understand how busy you are and am really grateful for this service you are providing, i made an error when using you just giving site and didn't put my address, i have since sent this to you via your email. Just checking that you got this?

Regards

Ian

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hi Alex,

Not sure how often you're checking that email address you put in the opening post of the thread (looks like you just set it up for the purposes of this?) - but for info I've just sent you a message there. Just letting you know in case you don't check it that often.

Ta