hopefully some easy lyrics t save the LMUH/Birkmyre song book

What: something maybe 3 depending on feel after a sleep
Why: I run its what i do
Last Hard: Sunday
Lyrics: strange lyrics yes

Comments

• Morning

Thaks Pammieimage. I just couldn't think of any lyrics yesterdayimage

What:4M Recovery run that was fast in places !

Why: Legs felt heavy, good, then heavy again. Weird even for me.

Very warm up here this morning.

Have a good one.

• LMUH: Will study lyrics songbook for tomorrow.image

Be afraid peepsimage.

• Morning.

Thanks Pammie image

Yesterday's lyrics - I feel like Buddy Holly by Alvin Stardust.

MadamaO - sounds like you thought well on your feet and adjusted to the day - a well executed race.

NZC - shame about the later start, as you said, might have been an idea to let the marathon runners off an hour earlier than the half really, means you don't get caught up in the early pace too.

AF - none of us know if we're going to get to the start line.

Gobi - well raced. You happy with that?

What:             am turbo/pm swim
    Why:               it's Tuesday.
    Last hard:     9/4
    Last rest:      8/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMUH: Liked yesterdays lyrics choice Takes me back 'down memory lane'... During the war.image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    LMH - happy enough for now :¬)

What: 10.5 miles run d&d
    ?? lunchtime
    Peter session PM
    Swimming, OW ??
    Why: Tuesday is the new Wednesday
    Last hard: Monday
    Last rest: ???????
    Lyrics: No
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

Bright and beautiful here again, perfect for running. <

What: 6 miles easy
    Why: it's what I do
    Last rest: Sunday
    Last hard: Weds
    Lyrics: yes!
  • LMH - the marathon runners wont get caught up in the early pace as the half marathon starts at the half way point of the marathon (roughly). I agree with NZC though - its too late for a marathon start really - would have been better to have both at 9am.

Congrats on the GFA MadameO. And well done Postie!!!

RFJ and Mava - hope you are healing / recovering - both physically and mentally

what: 12k with 8k tempo
    why: testing out the leg (its fine) and getting some faster stuff in before the half (and maybe a 10k over easter)

happy with the pace given it was brutally windy round the bays here - averaged 4.26 per km (7.07 per mile) quite a wide variation in pace but mostly wind related I think.

most importantly - I'm not hurting!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Well I made it out running last night.  Went to the Sweatshop Running Club which apparently started last night.  I was worried I was going to be one of the slowest, but in fact I was up near the front the whole way.  It is good for a recovery run (we kept stopping for the slower people to catch up) and what's even better is the more runs you do, the more prizes you get image  

Today think it'll be a swim, haven't been for a while.

Have a good day all.

• Good morning. I feel that this is going to be long!!

For some reason my password/ email wouldn't work and i couldn't get on line while away.

Anyway i don't know where to start talking about this one (VLM)

First of all commiserations to Mava and RFJ - its tough when you train hard for something and it goes awry. Believe me, I know.

Well done's to Madame and Postie and any others I've missed.

Went to marathon expo on Saturday and headed towards the Nike Stand to see if i could glimpse my running hero (Paula Radcliffe) She was answering questions from the crowd. Afterwards she patiently signed autographs etc and i think if there was people still queuing she would still be there. I managed to get a few words with her. She is some lady and i hope that her preparation for London 2012 goes well and injury free for her.

I got back to Hotel and relaxed for the rest of the day. Inquired in the hotel restaurant regarding dinner and was told that they had a special menu on for the marathon. Happy with that we booked a table in the evening. Later on we went down for dinner and there was nothing on the menu that i wanted to eat the night before running a marathon.

I ended up eating a meal that i didn't really want. I'm not blaming the meal, but as you'll read in a moment something "inside" wasn't right.

On Sunday i got to the start area. I don't know who of you have run from the championship start but it was unbelievable. The organisation was superb and at about 9.30m you are walked out to the start - no hassle, no jostling for position etc - that alone is a reason to run next year.

I've been talking a lot and i haven't even got to the race yet!!.

Hooter went and off we went. I was feeling great and running right on my target for 14 miles when the aforementioned "inside" started to complain. At 16 miles i had to stop and visit one of the tall plastic boxes for about 3 minutes (details withheld).

Alighted the tardice and unfortunately time didn't stand still. Got going again and got back into my running feeling strong again, managing to start passing out people and that itself was a spur.

Through the underpass and on to the embankment - feeling good and even with my sabbatical a sub 2.45 was easily on (my dream time of 2.40 was gone though.

Bang, calf went - pain from heel right up to the back of the knee every time the foot hit the ground. I never had calf problems before and it was a surprise (a very unwelcome one). I had to stop and try to stretch it out. After a while stretching and limping along i got going again and continued until i passed the Queen's front Garden.

I finished in 2.46 and had that strange feeling of knowing i had got myself into peak condition successfully only for things to go against me on the day. The negative is that i didn't achieve my target, but the positive is that in now know i can!!.

The heat didn't really bother me too much - maybe if it was a bit cooler it would have been better!!

The crowds were unreal and Mrs PM had a tougher time getting around than i did i think!!

After Dublin 2009 i had "unfinished business" - after London 2011 I again have!

I must go now and read about Gobi's "student swap" with me went.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Paddy - superb time, especially under the circumstances - great effort! 

For me today, I did a 13 mile hilly run this morning in absolutely glorious conditions - sunny but a little hazy with a gentle breeze in my face to keep me cool for the last 4 miles.  I ran it in 1:40:14 but the last 5 miles were done in around 35 mins, good to get the legs going at the end of a long one!  Hope everyone enjoys their runs today.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Paddy - Still a good time hope the calf will be ok.

Madame O - Well done on the GFA

Well i ran and did 3.16 miles at midday  - must be mad 10:14 pace warm but it was ok

Dreamt last night. Or rather this morning that work gave me 89 grand in the form of 2 cheques. Right!!!! like thats going to happen LOL

• Afternoon all,

Paddy:  Sorry things didn't go right on the day.  But you know you can do it now.  The champ start's great - used to be even better when it had the posh loos with piped music!

• What: 6m
    • Why:  I shall return
    • Last Hard:  ?
    • Last Rest;  Last Friday

Have a good one!

• Afternoon

What just work
    Why recuperating
    Lyrics no

First of all thanks for all the kind comments, my head is getting larger.

Commiserations Paddy but 2:46 is probably better than I'll ever achieve so I am still in awe.

Finally did anyone else catch the argument between the penguine, the chick and the marshall at the entrance to pen 1 at the FGFA start? very surreal.

• PP/ AF/ Pammie/ Don - Don't get me wrong, I'm generally happy with my fitness and when i consider that yesterday was my 46th birthday the time is a great one of which i am proud. I know there's more there as long as i can repair the calf. I feel that it wont be serious. But you know when youve set yourself a target and come so close to achieving what would have certainly been the thing of dreams for me!!

Anyway, the positive thing is that I am going to do it - at no stage (except maybe for that moment at mile 24) was there a "never again" thought!!!.

Running to a certain extent is about personal goals - a friend of mine who i met Sunday night for a few jars was delighted with his 4:09 PB - and fair play to him!!.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

great positive post paddy!!

lyrics yes

what: will have a go at running later,

why: had a week off so hopefully calf will be good

last hard: watching and not running sunday morning! but great fun

last easy: all week

have a good day all

oh I went to my daughters scan yesterday and what fine muscular legs that bubba has! runner legs....

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • M - good news on the pain free run and how sensible to start the half marathon runners half way down the marathon course.

Paddy - what a great time despite the upsets. Hope the calf is ok - can you get the rubberman to have a look? Best of all is how positive you are about it - and rightly so!

Wabo - how long is mini wabo staying with you? Hope your calf holds up.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH - Going to see him Thursday evening. He has the needles ready!!! he gets pleasure by causing me pain!

The Gym has given me a voucher for a leg and calf massage for my efforts!!! - I'll have that next week.
  • Paddy - congratulations on a fine marathon, even with all the bits that went wrong! Where did you get in your age-group? Happy birthday!!

AF - you are sounding happier!

M. -good to see you have come right.

Madame O - congrats on the GFA!

Gobi - I saw your link to the fact that Greta Waitz died - very sad! I saw her at the expo at NYCM 2007 and she signed her book for me - she was sick then, she seemed a lovely person. I remember her coming down to NZ and running track - she was like a machine. She was one of the great women marathon pioneers.

Wabo - very exciting - are you going to be at the birth?

What: O'Haga's 5km again. Not so good this week, had a bit of a dodgy stomach so couldn't push as hard, so and least I didn't feel sick!! 21mins 58 sec.

Good running everyone.

• NZC - 27th in age group - I was hoping for top 10 - but there is room for improvement for next year!!!!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

evening

great stuff Paddy.  Well done.  There's definitely more in there.

MadameO - well done too

Gobi - enjoyed reading your report.  Well done too.

Back at work today and off on a long afternoon out and about.  I didn't get home till 8 so tired.

No running but walking is becoming easier.  The most painful moment is when I stand up and put my weight onto my left leg. 

What: 20 minutes of physio exercises
    Why: I have a marathon to 'run' on 29th april
    Last hard: deciding to bail on Sunday
    Last rest: every day...

• NZC:  Well done on O'Hagans.  Sad news about Greta Waitz.  One of the best.
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Evening,

Thanks for the VLM comments image

Paddy, great report and WOW...!! Incredible time even with the unfortunate Timelord-style pitstop and calf problems. I hope the rubberman sorts it out for you. Oh, and belated happy birthday!

Very true that running is a lot about personal goals. That said, it's hard not to be influenced by wider perceptions of 'good' times.

Stickless - well done to your son, that's an excellent debut! Glad to welcome another to our world. Re: Lucozade, I think you have a good point there - it's a bit like ingesting oven cleaner as it is, and with the heat and increased fluid intake it's just too harsh.

Postie, I never saw that but I'm intrigued - what were they fighting about?!

Glad to hear you're pain-free M!

AF - as LMUH says, none of us can ever take getting there for granted! I'm sure it's part of the reason why this racing lark is so damn addictive.

Well done on your club run Emzap - first runs with new people are always daunting I think, but it's great when you get a confidence boost like that image

Ahhh at bubba-Wabo's little runner legs! A good friend of mine has a 7 and a half month old boy, and on Sunday he was watching the marathon on tv and waving at all the runners. At one point he started to clap so he must have seen me image

Well battled through sickness, NZC - hope you're feeling better soon.

What: Wasabi peas
    Why: I've just run a marathon and I'll eat my body weight in wasabi peas if I want to
    Last hard: VLM
    Last rest: Monday
    Lyrics: No

My legs feel fine today but my feet are monstered. One toe is blistered and I just know at least two toenails are black under my nail polish. Also constantly hungry so trying to at least snack on healthy stuff (although I failed miserably today with a jam doughnut and squashed Mars bar. Was first day back at work). The peas seem to be helping however.

*Munch munch munch munch*
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done Paddy - Sure you will get your target soon enough.

Not too bad here.... swelling now recceding and no real pain, so good signs....

Take care

• Madame - I'm with you on the eating thing - cant stop!!