Garmin 310XT - Numpty user error or WOFTAM ?

Seriously falling out of love with my new 310XT. The GPS seems to work fine, it is a bit of a lump but dont notice it once I get going, but the HRM is driving me bonkers when I run. I've tried soaking the strap before putting it on, tightening the strap to tourniquet proportions, moving it up/down/around,and leaving it where it is, but it still insists for several minutes at a time I'm pushing 170+ BPM and quite often 200+ BPM. It will go loopy for 5-10 minutes, then without doing anything, come back to reasonable (145-170), all at the same constant pace. It occasionally decides I'm doing < 100BPM at the same 8-9 min/mile pace, which I find hard to believe as well. Most of my regular running is along the tow path, so no other HRMs around, and it did it again in the wilds on Hampshire on the weekend, so hard to believe it's environmental interference as it happens randomly on the regular run. Only worn it a few times on the bike and think it's gone loopy once in a handful of short commute rides.

So, how hard can it be to get the fecking strap in the right place, or is this just a lemon, or are all HRMs just random number generators ? I work in IT so have a low tolerance level for expensive technology that doesnt work image

Comments