Options

Brew your own...

We were thinking about trying to brew our own wine (or whatever flower/fruit equivalent) anyone got any ideas how to start....I see those starter packs on various sites and was wondering if that was the way to go. I'm searching through amazon at the minute too for books on the subject.

Any brewers out there?

Comments

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Me - I make my own wine - I don't use a kit, I use stuff from the garden. Most fruit will ferment without the use of additional yeast.

My favs are reds - blackcurrents, sloes, elderberries, blackberries. We use anything from the garden - apples, pears, rhubarb, cherries, redcurrents. You can also make mead and tea wines which are good.

We have 2 big buckets which we put the fruit in, add water sugar or honey, malt extract, dregs from a few pots of tea, lemon juice. Let that ferment for a couple of weeks - we use lidded buckets so you need to open the lid every morning to release the pressure. When you don't need to do that, say 2-3 weeks we strain and transfer the liqid to a demijohn. Once it's stoped fermenting we rack it and store it in a demijohn to age - it lives in the cupboard under the stairs. When we need a demijohn we bottle the oldest wine and leave in the wine rack in the kitchen.

There is some cherry wine in the fridge - it is a fairly light rose suitable for summer afternoons. Morello cherries make a much darker wine - more for an evening meal.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

What do you need equipment wise?

Large plastic bucket with lid.
    Demijohns (min2)
    6 wine bottles
    milton for sterilising
    corks - for demijohn and bottles
    airlocks with corks
    funnels - large for demijohn, small for bottle
    syphon hose
    coffee filter papers
    muslin or cheesecloth or similar

you can use yeast, a hydrometer for checking alcohol content - I don't bother.
    you may need finning and a miriad of other things.

Check out your local charity shops for books on home brewing, I have some very old books, I think they came from jumble sales, one has some very odd recipes and advice. Certainly written before the advent of supermarkets.

• Options
    Thanks for that BBM...Can you use screw top bottles or does it have to be corks?
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    No reason why you can't use screw top bottles. A lot of wines are going that way. It's only if you want to lay the wine down for years - the screw closeures aren't designed for long life.
  • Options
    image Never made wine but done home made Beer, Gin, and Vodka. Wilkinson's used to do very good starter kits. Worth a look in one of the bigger shop's. OH and be warned the alcohol levels can vary depending on the batch. I've made that mistake in the past and it got kind off messy. Finest example was when a mate. walked into a barb wire fence and through he was being kidnapped by aliens. image hic.
  • Options

Been brewing for years.

Make my own Cider,Stout  & also Elderflower Champagne.

Took my Cider to the Welsh National Champs in 2006 & won best new producer.

If you fancy having a go @ wine try,the Elderflower Champagne as an easy intro & see how you go.

The basic for this are Elderflower,stalks & all in large brewing bin or plastic refuse bin.

Top up with cold water,juice of 3 or 4 lemons,chuck in a bits of the peel.

1kg of dissolved sugar.

Top of with cold water to 20 Ltrs.

Leave in warm place for 2 or 3 days,strain & bottle.

• Options
    I was thinking of brewing ginger beer.  Oxfam do a starter kit but is it just as easy do make my own?  Anyone have a recipe?
  • Options
    image I do but not on me. It's not that hard kid you might as well goggle it when your back from scotland.
  • Options
    Definitely going to do this!! Do you think it would be better to get one of the starter kits (with the equipment) or get stuff individually...like the buckets from B and Q or something?
  • Options

have look on one of the many brewing websites & get one of the very reasonably priced starter kits.

If you really get into it & king keg is must for keeping the stuff really fresh & on constant tap.

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Ginger beer plant is drop dead easy to create and keep going - I can't keep up and drink that much ginger beer.

As BRT says - look for a speciality brewing website for your kit. The plastic has to be quite thick otherwise it breathes and ruins your wine. (or beer)

OH - I use large glass bottles for ginger beer - stuff the top with organic cotton wool and cover with gauze.

• Options
    Stupid question...should I send for a 6 bottle kit or a 30 bottle kit?
  • Options
    image How quickly can you drink it? image
  • Options
    lol...I was just wondering if a big kit would still cater for a small amount of wine....I ordered a 6 bottle kit. image
  • Options
    I the only thing that I brew myself are massive farts.
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that homemade cherry wine is quite alcoholic. hic. image
  • Options
    The Elderflower 2 -3 days max image