Race for Life desperate for women

Comments

• Perhaps they could open it to males as males get cancer too last I heard.

Although I'm not sure most men would want the pinkness.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I don't think most woman want the pinkness. Gender stereotyping annoys me, and RfL plays it up massively.

There's the Everyman 10K that's men-only.

k8greene wrote (see)
    Ok, there are some things I should not Google while I'm at work.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    LHBH wrote (see)
     I shall volunteer to  ...  smile broadly at children wearing 'Diva' and 'Princess' t-shirts.
    Dog, I don't think anyone would expect you to go that far! image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I do love eloquent disagreement. image

But I hate the fact that an entire colour has been hijacked by a charity. If I'm attracted to anything pink - not just clothes, now! - I find I have to check that it doesn't have a feckin' annoying breast cancer squiggle on it somewhere.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Perhaps they could open it to males as males get cancer too last I heard.

Not to mention the fact that men can get breast cancer. 

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    "Not to mention the fact that men can get breast cancer."

Indeed. image
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

JB - I wish there were men only events for testicular cancer, but for some reason they don't seem to take off. 

LHBH - I agree with Slugsta, there's having a healthy debate/agreeing to disagree (call it what you will) but nobody would want to see you having to do that! 

• Thank you for the simple answer, Peter (VBG). Happy running.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

And another thing... if R4L does its job and raises loads of money to be put into useful research, then on the whole it must be a good thing but one aspect that doesn't sit too well with me is the message that breast cancer is something which overwhelmingly affects women and therefore is something that just women should be involved in raising funds for.  My mum died of breast cancer when I was very young so I've quite clearly been affected by it.  The chances of getting breast cancer myself may be extremely slim but I wouldn't mind the option of getting involved in fund raising events that are specific to it.

I donate to Cancer Research anyway but it's the "all women in it together" that just seems needlessly exclusive to me.

• It seems to me that R4L is primarily a fundraising thing which happens to involve running, rather than a race which some people use as an opportunity for fundraising.

So really, it's a bit like the VLM but much shorter.

*Awaits the incoming*

So i doubt that opening it up to "runners" would do much - many runners look down their noses at it.

Equally opening up to men wouldn't do much.

Really they could do with refreshing the brand and playing a few new tunes with it if it's not to wither away to something much smaller.

I'm not a marketer so no idea unless it could be variations like "Swim For Life".

Could also try "Bike for Life" but the t-shirts might be a bit of an issue. image

• My club has marshalled the local RFL for quite a few years now. It started with a single Sunday race, but now it's 3 races over 2 days. This year they have two races on the Saturday and one on Sunday, which is the opposite to previous years, and it clashes with a local team event on Saturday so I suspect we'll only be able to do the single race on Sunday. I have no qualms giving them my time as it's for a good cause, but it really should not be advertised as a sporting event. I would estimate that no more than 2 or 3 percent of the entrants actually make any effort to run even part of the course, despite the fact that most of them are dressed as though they're about to undertake some great sporting event. In fact the fastest time last year was by a 13 year old girl, and a time under 30 minutes was top 15. I watched a lady walk it carrying 4 carrier bags of groceries one year and she still finished near the front of the field! For most it isn't even a sponsored walk, it's a sponsored amble, and I do find it a bit irritating that the organisers spend so much time and energy making out that the entrants have achieved someting spectacular when the reality is they've done something that any 5 year old could do. When I was a kid sponsored walks were usually 15 miles and more often 20 miles. In fact the shortest one I ever did was 12 miles, and I did my first 15 miler when I was 8 and my first 20 aged 11. As an event however the Race For Life does have an excellent atmosphere, but I think it lost something when they changed it to be multiple smaller events over 2 days, and it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't last much longer.
  • Under 30 gets you top 15?

*googles gender re-assignment clinics*

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

LHBH - I think I love you! image

Gloriously eloquent and oh so right.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

JB - there's already a Swimathon for Marie Curie.  And I totallly agree, with you (shock, horror) it needs revamping.

Under 30 mins certainly didn't used to get you top 15 at my local race (but that was 10 years ago).

Continuing the pink debate, I'm not a pink girl myself either but I've been involved in reading research about sales of sporting goods recently and, apparently, the market is very evenly split.  For every woman who hates pink, there's another woman who wants a pink bike or pink running kit.

• Pink and baby blue sports kit annoys me so much.

Why do trainers rarely come in other colours??

Also sneaky flashes of pink, all black .... except for the logo which is pink?

Maybe it's so the shop workers know where to put it?

• BOTF - a junior won the RfL at Silverstone last year too (I'm guessing yours is further south)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    "Why do trainers rarely come in other colours??"

Erm...a quick rummage through my running shoes hamper produces:

silver and white, purple/silver/white, navy/white, orange (with green laces image), indeterminate (they're my offroad ones - sort of brown/grey - no idea what they were originally), more orange.

Not a hint of pink or baby blue.
  • A large proportion of the women that I saw out training during the winter seemed to be wearing bright pink jackets.
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Jj wrote (see)
    "Why do trainers rarely come in other colours??" Erm...a quick rummage through my running shoes hamper produces: silver and white, purple/silver/white, navy/white, orange (with green laces image), indeterminate (they're my offroad ones - sort of brown/grey - no idea what they were originally), more orange. Not a hint of pink or baby blue.

I love my black asics running shoes image  No pink on them!

Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

A large proportion of the women that I saw out training during the winter seemed to be wearing bright pink jackets.

That's because the manufacturers of women's running clothing decided that pink was the colour for jackets.  You'd have a hard time finding things that WEREN'T pink.

Except tights - they are all black, because the manufacturers have decided that tights will be black, and no other colour.  Bit like Henry Ford. 

Do you ever see men's tights/tracksters in a variety of colours?  I think you'll find they're all black, too.

• I really think those of you who seem to be so against any form of charity involvement with running or worry that there are women-only events for women who want women-only events really ought to get your knickers in a twist about something worth getting your knickers in a twist about. Really. Just avoid those events. It's a big world.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Come on PC, we write to our MP's and go on hunger strikes when our knickers get properly twisted.  Forums are here for the most trivial matters of spleen-venting, simply cos it's more entertaining than actually working for a living.  image

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My problem with women-only events/clubs is that women fought to get accepted in male-only clubs, races, (and many other areas of life), only to turn it around and say, in effect "MEN can't have male only things, because that's discrimination, but WOMEN can have female only things, because we're doing it for the right reasons...".

It reminds me of Animal Farm: all animals are equal - but some are more equal than others

It just seems hypocritical to say that men can't, but women can.

• My feeling, then, is simply that if it helps some women get into running who wouldn't otherwise, I don't give a monkey's.
  • Most the lady runners I see are barely wearing anything at all.

At least in my mind they aren't.image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

um - I hate pink so much that I go out and buy pink stuff. Not so much anymore but my bike is white with pink bits so I bought a pink water bottle and carrier and stuff to match. I actually look better in pink than a lot of other colours so if I don't want to look dead I'll add pink to what I'm wearing.

Have to agree with PP, forums allow us to vent on the things that aren't going to change the world.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Most the lady runners I see are barely wearing anything at all.

At least in my mind they aren't.image

I haven't met a man yet who doesn't think of women in those terms. Even my partner says to me - "I know you're naked under all those clothes" um yeah. image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh those bright pink jackets over the winter were just the Ron Hill colour of the moment. image
    I have black capris from the same range, but there's only a li'l flash of the pink by the knee. Purty though. image
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    PC - you seem to be getting your knickers in a right holy twist about people getting their knickers in a twist. Really - just avoid these threads. It's a big interweb.

;-)
  • Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
    A large proportion of the women that I saw out training during the winter seemed to be wearing bright pink jackets.
    Its Ron Hills fault look