Lyke Wake Race

2»

Comments

• I had a great run, bang on 9 hours, enjoyed it, the marshalls were fab, great snacks - sorry I had to leave before the presentations.  I hope you all enjoyed your day too.   Can't wait for next year. 
  • I ran ok, 9hrs 58 minutes. Enjoyed it despite the heavy rain at the end. Couldnt believe how hard it came down. Coming towards the last checkpoint afte jugge howe, the whole road was just a torrent of water.

Did you try the route down the side of the glider club? I ran it, and estimate that it saved 5 minutes, and valuable engergy.

My other shortcut at the finish didnt work, you were right on it going sharp down then up. I reached the point where I could see it, and then took another route.

Also I decided to make another change, ran up the hill after checkpoint 1 instead of going round. Thought that if this was the last race, I wanted to see the veiw from the top one last time. Probably cost me 5 minutes, but as I'd gained this on the last section, I thought it was worth it, and the view was good.

Hope it is still on next year, will be running this until it stops

• Hi YNDI

Sorry to hear you got caught in that deluge - my driver was pulling up to the entrance of the Raven Hall hotel just as it started to pour down so I didn't get wet after my lovely shower 

I stayed on the path and didn't try the glider club track as I am famous for taking wrong turns...  good to see you agreed with me about the drop and climb at the end - totally out of the question after 39 miles!

See you next year - weren't those marshalls fab!        

• MattamMattam ✭✭✭
    Great event and as others have said the marshalls were absolutely unbelievable. Couple of very tough stretches but loved it and was over the moon with my 9hrs 33 mins.

Hope to be back next year.
  • I agree with all comments.

A great but very tough event in a fantastic but very harsh landscape.

That was my 4th run and I managed a 9 hour 59 - the target was sub 10 hours - so that will do me!

The rain at the end was useful - at least I didnt need to clean my trainers after the mud of the previous 18 miles.

Fingers crossed that they can keep the run going, and the new challenger has to be sub 9:30.

Huge thanks to all the Marshalls - really appreciate it.

cheers

Darren

• Well that was another great day out. Finaly managed to catch my wife just before Eller Beck a little over 7 hours in. It was great to finsh the race with her - her first ultra.  

It was good to meet you Julian and thanks for the glider station tip. Much better route!

Hope the race is still on next year.

Big Thanks to all the race team and marshals for putting on the best ultra in the UK - FACT - (well it is if you ask me)image

Paul.

• Looks like this year will be the last year for the Lyke Wake Race. Email from the organisers seems to imply that there is still a huge shortage of marshals, and as a result the race will not get to its 50th anniversary.

Such a shame, it is one of the most unique races around, great tradition, and the route is second to none.

I'm hoping that something comes in to rescue this race, but unfortunatly it looks like we have all run it for the last time.

Shame, was looking forward to being waist deep in mud and desperately trying not to lose my trainers once more. image

• The race is back on. All confirmed on the site  image

I'm signed up, last years rain is long forgotten, although hailstones in the middle of summer is something I'm not going to forget in a hurry.

Any other takers for this mad trek acros the moors?