Options

Grant & Stone Wycombe Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

It depends whether you rank someone merely completing a half marathon as a more serious runner than someone doing the 10k reasonably quickly image

So where are the splits? What is a reasonably quick 10k/HM and what is merely completing?
  • Options

Merelys: 10K/HM more than 00:50/01:45

Reasonables: 10K/HM: less than 00:40/01:25

Measonable - everything inbetween!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Let me rephrase then Phil.

Is someone who completes the half marathon a better, more serious runner than someone who completes the 10k, irrespective of pace?

The answer is of course not, and to be fair Sleepy was being tongue in cheek calling it the adult fun run.

But jokes aside, it does seem the opinion of many in this country that longer race = better.

It's why the holy grail seems to be running a marathon.

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Let me rephrase then Phil.

Is someone who completes the half marathon a better, more serious runner than someone who completes the 10k, irrespective of pace?

The answer is of course not, and to be fair Sleepy was being tongue in cheek calling it the adult fun run.

But jokes aside, it does seem the opinion of many in this country that longer race = better.

It's why the holy grail seems to be running a marathon.

Well, I will complete the HM and you the 10k so the question of who is better has a very easy answer image.

Agree totally about the marathon obsession and this year I gave into it so I qualified for London next year and then when people ask I can say yes I have run London and they believe I am a runner: the fact that I went sub 34 for 10k goes over their heads.

Sleepy, tough half targets:  50 for 10k normally equates to 1:50 for half and 40 is 1:30.

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see how you go this year Philip. You sounds pretty much in the boat i was in last year, namely doing a load of 5ks, and then suddenly doing a hard half marathon near the end of them!

I went into the race in the wrong mental position...knowing i wouldn't come close to my pb, but i thought i'd come closer than 5 1/2mins slower!

I think my main mistake was "smoking" an imaginary cigar to a marshall mate after coming through Bourne End as if i was coasting. After that I suddenly found it harder going, and spent way too long letting some clearly slower guy drag me along, before finally making a dash for it!

Was quite funny how many people steamrollered me down Chapman Lane only to be swiftly caught up not too far on!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Partly agree - though seems to be extremes - look how popular Usain Bolt is!

As for "merelys" or "reasonables", it's all relative - one man's (or woman's) sub hour 10k might have taken at least as much effort and commitment as another's sub 35....

MicknPhil - 10th Wycombe for me too - I'm a long, long way off your 226 halves though - truly amazing!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

226 is epic. I suppose if you can get over the idea that you can't "race" every half every week, it's an interesting thing to do, to see all the different courses. Probably beats doing a slow 16 round the same area every week!

i suppose one shame with not doing the half this year is that it's the 30th anniversary to match my age. Not sure that would especially be a treat. Reminds me of doing the 2002 half 1 day after my  21st bday!

• Options
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Will be interesting to see how you go this year Philip. You sounds pretty much in the boat i was in last year, namely doing a load of 5ks, and then suddenly doing a hard half marathon near the end of them!

I went into the race in the wrong mental position...knowing i wouldn't come close to my pb, but i thought i'd come closer than 5 1/2mins slower!

I should be within 5 1/2: my PB is 1:22 and I did 1:28 over the course in training a month ago, so somewhere between the two is the most likely outcome. I am fitter and faster now then when I did my PB, and better rested, but the training has not had the depth or endurance so it may tell at the end.
  • Options
    Good luck everyone. I'll be happy with 1.50. Not such an elite runner. Give me a few years.... I'll get faster
  • Options

Sorry, havent read back through the thread or anything, but does anyone from HC know if there are on the day places for tomorrow? Events conspired against a good training run today, and quite fancy this.

Thanks

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

the paper said there are on the day places PMO. But said to get there as early as poss! They suggested 8am image

ps where has this heavy rain come from. Back in my day of regularly doing the half there were 2 options with the temperature. Scorching, or just pretty warm!

• Options

Thanks SG. With the threatened rain I predict 30% won't show up anyway.

If I remember right it was squally in 2009 when I last did the HM - my first - hated it when the sun came out, Im not a fair weather fan.

Looking forward to it!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i;ve done the half 6 times, and the 10k twice.

I remember at least 3 of those halfs were incredible heat, 2 were pretty hot, and the other one was maybe normal temperature, but humid.

Can't really remember the 10ks....probably overcast and like you say a little drizzly. Ideal weather really.

off for one of my two 4milers now. This is where you want it to feel utterly effortless, bearing in mind race pace is almost a couple of mins faster image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Forecast is now looking OK for racing. Cool and drizzly. Wind from the south-west shouldn't cause too much problem.

Chance of thundery showers for late finishers - wouldn't fancy being caught in the middle of the Rye in a thunderstorm!

Good luck all!!

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭
    Good luck to all doing both races today. It appears to have just started drizzling, here in Wycombe, but the forecast reckons no rain between 10 and 1, just overcast, so perfect really.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Heck this is today.

slight bit of rain will do nicely. Only light rain mind.

• Options
    Good luck all. We're just driving through reading so should be there shortly.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I'm here now! Have swapped my number from the half to the 10k. Phew.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

hope everyone had a great race. Perfect weather for mid july i must say!

Good to meet a few faces like water vole and mick n phil.

Less good to hang around for ages for the team prize presentations as i thought my lot had snuck 2nd male team, when actually we were just edged out..sorry team image

57seconds slower than the pb in the 10k, coming out 36.47, but hey...if your pb is on this course, something is wrong image

how did everyone do>

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

Well done everyone for today... was a pleasure marshalling you!

Incredibly 2 people who I knew were doing the 10k (but don't know each other) ran past me together!

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Cheers McBood - hoep you didn't get too soggy in the showers!

Enjoyed today - slightly more relaxed knowing I wasn't going to get near a course PB, which resulted in a time a bit quicker than I was expecting.

What a runner Anurhadha is!  A privilge to buy my pasties from the man!

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

The runners looked damper than I seemed to be, and only had to use the umbrella once image

Saw a few go through a fair distance before last years winner and realised they must have been going some.

• Options

All done and dusted and I now have a bit more confidence over the distance and can try to get a bit more endurance training under the belt and a bit less speed for the next one.

A big thanks to all the marshals, especially familiar faces, who pointed the way out very well and kept irate cars at bay.

I did see one driver giving a mouthful of abuse to a marshal,  and the marshal was being very restrained. If I am marshalling and come across such a wanker there is no way I am so well behaved.

• Options

first time for me here , really enjoyed it , perfect weather for running, i thought it was very well organised and the heaviest goody bag ive had for some time!

the hill at the start is a right bar steward but apart from that the rest off the course is ok.

will be back next year image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

so who's up for the Dorney Dash in 2 weeks? image

• Options

Really enjoyed today. That hill was murder but coming down the one at 6miles I found just a tuff to hold pace.

Managed 1.46.26 which I'm very happy about. 

Running club has a 10miler planned for Wednesday... not yet decided if I'll join them yet or not. 

Thanks to everyone invloved.

• Options
    McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭
    PMJ...whereabouts was the abusive driver? There was a guy opposite me getting understandably angry as someone had broken into his van and stole some tools.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I'm already signed up for the Dorney Dash!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

we'll talk before that K8 and i'll try and meet you.

Finally met a guy i chat to all the time on my training thread (on the training tab!), for the first time, despite the fact we've been in and around the same races numerous times!

Bood...he needed one of those stickers that says "tools not kept in this van overnight". That woulda held the little sob's.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    So this morning I really don't know whether I was going to do the race today, the airing seems to have sorted out my throat but a recent niggle became a big problem around 6-7k.

Ok, I can totally see why people go on about that hill! Took it out of me a bit but I managed it up the whole way without stopping (I was near the back where there were quite a few walkers at the point, unlike those at the pointy end who probably sprinted up it!).

Mick & Phil - it was great to meet you , albeit very briefly. Sorry I didn't get to meet anyone els, Stevie I did try to look out for your club vest.

I'll definitely like to give the half a try next year, not only for the sense of achievement but also to get another one of those goody bags! Impressive medal too.