London 2012 tickets

2»

Comments

• I did get to see the mens 100m at the commonwealth games in Manchester. Luckily they were free tickets as it's just over too quickly to take in.

The mountain biking was a bit pants too - such a small field that only came round every half hour and such a small field. Great athletes but you'd be better off going to see the Nationals for a good days racing.
  • I'm planning on going down to watch the Olympic Mens and womens marathons. You can stand in the streets and watch it for free. I'm not paying extortionat prices for tickets.
  • We've applied for about 8 sessions of various sports over a 4 day weekend.  If we get all we ask for then it'll be about £500 each for the tickets.  It's a lot but considering you pay £50-£70 for a ticket for any concert these days I don't think they're over-pricing.  After all, the Games have to break even or we'll all be complaining.

Being from the far Norf we'll also have to add cost of flights and accommodation so probably not much change from £1,000 each for the weekend.   It's a once in a lifetime thing and I can afford it but I wouldn't pay more than I could afford.   It's a big birthday for me and it seems like a good way to celebrate image

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Didn't apply for any for numerous reasons. For a family of 4 evening session of a few hours (some only 1 1/2 hrs) = £200 - for not v good seats. So to make the trip worthwhile and see a few things over 2-3 days would have been just too much. Plus the fact that they hold onto your money for a year and like someone said in a year (resale website not up until then) you can resell minus the handling/credit card fee plus another one for reselling.
    A bit of a ripoff really and I was a bit disappointed. I know quite a few people who got carried away and if they get all their tickets will be scuppered.

Soooo we are saving the money towards going to 2016 olympics in Rio amd a holiday after/before.

• We as in the group of people I am going with image

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    JeremyG....you're saving for Rio why? Surely the tickets for that event will be an equal rip off. Of course that's only if you are Brazilian peasant living in a shanty town. For a relatively affluent Northern European not only will they seem cheap but you will be able to afford better seats. That sounds a bit like "2010 World Cup Syndrome" to me.
  • At the last minute I applied for the triathlon £20 ticket - as others have said, once in a lifetime chance to spectate at such an event so why not.

However I was surprised to read that the triathlon was one of the first to sell out - well bid out.  And here was me thinking it was a minor sport image

• equestrian for one son and mens hockey for the other two..................their choices from the list.....................I hope that I get them all or I will be in trouble if Ican't manage to take all three of them to an eventimage
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭

Tom we have been planning a S American holiday  anyway - was going in a couple of years but will delay it - more time to save. I'm sure the tickets there will be as much - probably IOC has quite an input on price/money raised??
    Haven't ruled out going to London if we can pick something up on the resale site. Main problem is accomodation and also trying to shift my work schedule.
    Most friends/relatives that we could stay with are away or renting out their houses/rooms.

• why not look at the Paralympics ? - the competitions just as good at the pointy end, tickets not on sale yet though.

I've met + trained with 2 of our Team GB's athletes, so have had my fix already. and yes, I ached for days after. ( or was that for four days after ? ) Tom + Will, good luck for 2012.

TV coverage for me, can't do it all. Might sneak off to the coast for the sailling.

<rant mode on > London's a pain to get to, it's horid.  Public transport is old, dangerous, and overcrowded on a quiet day....( baker street tube station had chicken wire for it's ceiling on the 13th of april 2011 - that isn't a good smoke barrier, isn't fire proof, and meets absolutley no building regs I've seen. ) the only decent station was the canning town/dlr stop. Paddington is a disgrace, and as for Victoria coach station - an HOUR to buy a ticket.... another HOUR to wait for the bus - I hope that London gets its act together before 2012..... or the Country will look a complete shambles. I mean, they didn't even fill in the potholes for the marathon ! why not ? come on London, get your act together ! <rant mode off>

I'll travel to events, just stuck with the car. The quaint little village in which I dwell doesn't have a train station/tube/airport/river taxi. It does have a road ( 1 in, 1 out ) and a dried up canal going nowhere.

MotoGP isn't bad price wise, much cheaper than F1, and good racing too. easy to get to, easy to leave, simples.

• I think this will the biggest problem during the games - transport.
    There have been questions whether it will cope as many Londoners will not
    take time off working during the games. Despite the organisers asking workers to
    take time off. Transport around some venues will be a nightmare if you take spectators,
    tourists plus those working.