Have you ever tripped while out running

2»

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Not a wheel trim but the whole hubcap that came spinning off an oncoming car and nearly skittled me over. Worst actual fall was in the city centre, cornering in muddy shoes. Went down like a tree onto my side. The curious thing is the reaction of the people around who just stopped and looked at me waiting to see what happened next.
  • Catalin Bond wrote (see)
    The question for me is not, do you trip? It's, how often do you trip?!
    For me it's about once a year to 18 months. What about others? Hard to know if I'm clumsy or normal!

Similar frequency for me too. Not had the wheel trim thing yet thankfully, my trips are usually a result of admiring the scenery around me on a trail run instead of looking at the trail.

The most recent though was heading downhill on a trail with a small stream across it at the bottom, whilst on a tempo run. "I'm going fast enough to jump that stream, I've cleared bigger puddles before". Except by the time I realised it was not an ickle stream and it was in fact a ford crossing a shallow river and somewhat wider and deeper than I had estimated from afar, I was already committed.

Front foot landed half a metre short, deeper water than I expected so resulting in forward rotation and falling flat on knees elbows and hands on jagged stone+gravel. Still got the scars on my knee! I did manage to pause my Garmin whilst I was on the floor winded though, to keep the illusion of maintaining tempo pace image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I found a pothole hidden in a puddle about a month ago: that took half my knee off.
    Also many a tree root has caused me to stumble, and slipped many a time on wooden bridge near to me that is like a skating rink in wet conditions.
    I was part of a 4 man domino at the Nationals up in Sunderland a few years ago, guy at the top of a slight bank/camber slipped and took out the next guy down, who then took me out and all 3 of us ended up on the guy on the inside.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I have never tripped. But only because I am very careful about where I tread. I have slipped on black ice a few times though and looked like Bambi trying to save myself from going over.

Oh- I actually got skittled by a child awhile back. The mother held her 3 kids back at the gate until I was within striking distance and then let them go across the path just at the perfect time for one to run straight into me. Feckwit !
  • Dustin wrote (see)

I found a pothole hidden in a puddle about a month ago: that took half my knee off.
    Also many a tree root has caused me to stumble, and slipped many a time on wooden bridge near to me that is like a skating rink in wet conditions.
    I was part of a 4 man domino at the Nationals up in Sunderland a few years ago, guy at the top of a slight bank/camber slipped and took out the next guy down, who then took me out and all 3 of us ended up on the guy on the inside.

As long as you didn't end up inside the guy on the inside...

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I did originally type that the guy outside slipped into me, but I know what you lot are like...

• Have only ever had the ungracious and ignominious slide to the deck when taking a corner too sharply in wet conditions, so just the odd grazed knee and ego.

However, worst I have seen is during Conwy half, coming down the Great Orme, guy comes flying past and his bodily momentum overtook his leg speed causing a rather spectacular face plant to the tarmac. There was blood ... a lot of blood ... fair does though he did eventually finish the race.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    Bill 100 wrote (see)

OMG.. searched for "tripping over wheel trim" and got your guys. Yes, this past weekend was out for a 10 miler and at 6.5 miles my ankles were trapped ("foot-cuffed" I guess) and fell face forward. Luckily I had some thin gloves on and my hands were only mildly scraped with blood. Hit my chin a little but thank God I braced myself with my hands... Worst part was my left bicep hurt for a while from the impact of bracing myself. My knee was banged up a little; but was able to finish my run. A very rare occurance as you would have to hit the wheel trim on the right spot to flip it up... but looks like you can google anything and find commonalities these days. Always good to stay alert out on the roads. Best to all that had this happen.    

I did exactly the same as this. I was only a couple of hundred meters into my run at a point where I have to run in the road around a smallish roundabout. Without any warning I found myself laying in the gutter with cars going past me; bloody knee and palms. Next to me was one of these wheel trim ring which I'm guessing, as one foot flipped it up the other one followed it into the ring. Jumped up with the adrenaline pumping and finished a 10 mile run. Was quite a shock though.

• Hi ran and face slapped the path at speed. Hurt my pride more than my body.Have a knee scar as a presentable war wound from the event.  

• Seems like the wheeltrim ring is a common enemy of the runner!

I got caught on one the other day less than a mile into my run.
    Just at a section of my run where there is no footpath and I have to run along the grass verge heading into a busy roundabout.

Next thing I knew I was crumpled on the ground with one of those rings around both my feet!

Fractured my left hand, bruised my ribs and gave my right knee a nasty bash : /

First time I have hit the deck in around 20 years of running. Gave me quite a shock.

• I was looking down admiring my new mizuno's and ran in to a hedge! gashed my hand on some thorns

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Funny I posted about tripping over a root during a 5K a few years ago. I did the same thing two weeks ago during an interval run. Took the skin off my elbow. Bloody roots!

• Tripped over a loose paving slab on a 4 mile recovery run on Friday. Slammed down hard on my left hand side, took skin off my knee and elbow and bruised my hip.

The pain was worse the next day and I couldn't run without pain so I cancelled my planned final 20 miler before the Chester marathon in 3 weeks' time. It still hurts now on Monday but I plan to go back out tomorrow and carry on with the schedule. Fortunately I'm not bothered about any particular time for the marathon so missing the run was not crucial.

The first thing I did though when I hit the floor was press stop on my Garmin. Don't want to hurt those average pace stats!

• I'm doing excellently this year.  So far, i've tripped over a branch on a trail and broke a finger, slipped on loose stones on a path and skinned my palm (more painful than the broken finger), tripped on another trail and managed to get away with minor cuts and slipped on to my arse down a muddy hill.  Not a bad haul for 9 months.

• The first time I fell over was when I had my new Garmin, and I was looking at that instead of where I was going and tripped over the kerb.  I fell over doing the Totnes 10k a few years ago (my husband has fallen over on that course too) and a few months ago I was running locally and had to jump over a small wall.  I didn't catch myself on the wall but I didn't land well and ended up on the floor.  Fortunately I've never done myself any real damage and have been able to complete my run.

• Saw this come up in my emails today, then tripped again whilst out running! That's 3 times in 18 months.

Luckily no serious injuries but think I'll have a few bruises tomorrow.
  • I recently tripped over a tree root on the canal whilst running and ended up going head first into the water. When the people I was running with had pulled me out and made sure I was not seriously hurt ( apart from my pride ) they thought it was hilarious.

• ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

Happy to see there are other runners with stability issues, whether they are assaulted by road debris or just themselves!

I need all fingers and some toes to count the number of times I have tripped up this year, but I am clinically a spaz, so I have an excuse image.

A big thanks to the nice man who picked me up & dusted me down at 3.5 miles during Coventry HM in March. You prevented a pile-up & it meant I could finish the race!

I've continued to trip and run into overhanging branches since, but I'm trying to perfect the commando roll to try and avoid any more injuries.