Options

Race T shirts

Following on, though at somewhat of a tangent, from KK's white race T thread,

What would make you buy a race T? (if anything)
What would put you off buying a race T?

I ran a hm on Sunday and they had event T's on sale - cotton, in a range of colours and I bought the white one because it looked the best with the design. It was a light weight cotton and the small was actually a small, not a tent made for a family of elephants.
At the same time, I had trained hard for the event so to me it wasn't just another race - bit of a memento thing.

The front had the race name and an image, the rear had the names of the (pre paid) entrants, which I liked - though more because it appealed to my sense of aesthetics but that's a long story.

Now I have got a couple of tech T's that I binned as the material was naff.

What would be your memento of choice for a race be?

Comments

• Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    biker-bricky-mouse wrote (see)

What would be your memento of choice for a race be?

A time from a certified course would do for me, although I might buy a t shirt if it was a couple of quid for something to wear.

• Options

I love a good medal!  image

Not sure why, I just like collecting them.

• Options
    Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of those t-shirts that show what your HM or mara time is, think it's Xmpo or something like that, as long as people can only get the one their entitled to.
  • Options
    I'd probably not buy a cotton tee - I've stacks of those anyway. Technical tees - thats more likely as you can never have enough running kit.
  • Options
    It's xempo. A friend of a friend started this company - bloody good runner apparently . I'm not sure if I grasp the concept myself or am I just modest, just seems like bragging to me.

I like medals.

I'm fed up with none-technical tshirts. I've just made a resolution to only pick up the "free" tshirts if they are technical (so I can train in them) and I've started throwing my old ones away, plus my wife always complains that I look scruffy when I wear them.

• Options
    Most of the non-running shirts are either garish or cack or both.
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭
    i have never recieved a t-shirt from a race i can actually wear as a t-shirt. they are as BM says always made to fit a family of elephantsimage...ive given up and decided they dont suit me anyway...
  • Options
    I AM a family of elephants. The lucozade technical shirts they gave out at parkrun recently all came in too small. I needed an XL, and though I"m big, I'm not that big. Hey LLB.
  • Options
    Green EyesGreen Eyes ✭✭✭

Our club gave out some nice vests a few years ago - still wear mine.

Best thing I ever got from a race was a pair of gloves which I wore loads before they gave up the ghost - also got a couple of mugs which I use as well - have so many t shirts now I just end up chucking them

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I like the Adidas London T shirts, last year was a London Skyline design, this year they had a pair of lungs  on the front.

I bought a T at the Sandstone Trail race last year because it was just so bloody hard in such awful weather I wanted a memento.

TBH I wouldn't really have bought many of the race shirts i have, they're pretty awful, just use them for sleeping in usually.

• Options

(gratuitous self promotion alert)

Guess what I can make out of old race T shirts? image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I always use techy race -shirts to train in afterwards, cotton t-shirts never get used again.  Obviously my favourite techy t-shirt would be the silver Xempo one I earned.  image
  • Options
    MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Those xempo t-shirts are a bit like a trunki.

A very good business idea but I wouldn't be seen dead with one.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

We're talking about buying a shirt not the ones they give away at the end to all the finishers?

It's like going to a concert and buying a T-shirt so that people can see what music you like.

I'm not sure I would buy one unless it was a special race - a really hard one that maybe people would ask about and you could tell them how difficult it was and what an epic struggle you had image

If I was buying one I wouldn't want any sponsors logos on it unless the sponsor was included in the actual name of the race.

I've got all mine hanging on the same hanger in my wardrobe, it's getting quite heavy now. I'll have a look and get some ideas of why I like the ones I do.

The last thing I want to do at the end of a race is go looking at t-shirts though. I'm off to the pub for a pie and a pint.

• Options
    Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

They're all pretty much the same.

Race Name, Year

Organising Club Logo/name

Date of race.

Sponsor's logos.

At the end of the day I suspect most of the club logos, fonts and layouts for the t-shirt are not designed by a professional. It would make a big difference if they were.

I've never actually worn any of them image possibly because they don't look great aesthetically but there are a few special races I've done that I would have liked a t-shirt from but gave out medals. Medals are OK but what do you do with them? At least you can wear a t-shirt.

• Options
    Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I had to google Trunki, tbh I thought it would be a fake set of big tackle to put in your speedos.
  • Options
    I'd buy a t-shirt that I liked the look / quality of, and it came at the right price.  If I was involved in the day (ie, by racing), then I'm more inclined to like the t-shirt (hint hint race organisers - cater to your audience!)
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

ok - trunki - anyone going to share or do I need to take a google course in linguistics

The t from the race  I bought has no big sponsorship logo - just the race and on the back the names of the runners. - and yes it was a tough race and one that I specifically trained for. I guess what I'm saying is that I made an investment in the race and that is what counts - to me at least. Maybe this is what is being alluded to. ?

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy a race T shirt. However all the free race t shirts I've ever had have been worn (for training) to destruction. Whats a technical t shirt - one with a zip?
  • Options

Free race t-shirts are great. Not only can you wear them to death, you can also do DIY/painting in themtoo.

The better technical t-shirts with just the race logo/details on are a badge of honour, and like you say biker, if you have trained for months for it, wear it with pride afterwards.

• Options

I'd prefer a vest to a T shirt, wear vests for 90% of my runs.

One of the best mementos was a keyring trolley fob that I use each time I go shopping...

Love medals... a nice memory jogger.

• Options
    I think I have like one race t-shirt out of dozens that actually fits - when I re-entered the race the following year, however, I request the same size shirt and although it was very similar style and made by the same company the new one turned out to be huge!
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Medals are a must. My medal tree is one of my most cherished posessions.

Race tees have been kept but never worn, now just taking up space in the spare room.

• Options

I'm not too bothered about medals, tend to give them away to small relatives, but I do like a nice t shirt.

Hellrunner t shirts were good - cotton, not running ones but they were purple and they had different sizes so I wear mine out sometimes (and I do like getting asked what the t shirt is for)!  I would probably only buy a t shirt if I needed one or it was a special event or I really liked the t shirt.

Do you find they tend to be boring white t shirts most of the time though?  How about a nice bright yellow one for a change?!

On a slightly different note, I do love it when races give out goody bags as well, with lots of strange things to eat and put on your skinimage

• Options
    Things you can eat AND put on your skin? Yuk.
  • Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Cucumber, vegetable oil, chocolate spread?  Obviously not all at once, mind.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

The last race I did ran out of goody bags by the time I got there image, luckily they still had medals.

I saw a guy at the weekend in his 2011 finisher's t-shirt - white cotton.

• Options

Guess it depends really... I bought a tech t-shirt on the first ever half i did, as a memento and because i'd trained hard for it!

Also, bought a cotton tee at the NSPCC half as it was £5 for charity.

BHF free t-shirt was utter rubbish, waste of money by the charity.

Won't get anymore t-shirts i don't think.... Medals need to have a meaning to be worth keeping, but the quality varies massively. Hardwick x-stream is the best so far... Looking forward to Snowdownia slate one in October...