Race T shirts

2»

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

image chocolate spread

might propose that one image

• I bought a few long sleeved race shirts recently as I like those in winter and the few I had were falling to pieces. I got ones that had all the names of the competitors on the back (Bramley 20 & Wokingham Half as I recall).
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

A BHF event I did had the t-shirts to collect before the race. They had men & womens in all sizes. It's the only t-shirt I've got which actually fits.

I like getting the Nature Valley bars in a goody bag image but anything else edible I'm not fussed about.

• I love the Loch Ness Mara shirt, even though it's cotton and useless for training. It's black and has a subtle (and cool imho) logo on the front and a bunch of sponsor crap on the back (that I never see, so it doesn't bother me).

Edinburgh's shirt last year was technical, which was nice, but it has too much solid ink, so doesn't breathe well. The logo and text are a bit big for my taste.

So I vote for "subtle".

• Rugby shirt from Bedford Harriers half marathon in December was nice...
  • David Lewis 77 - 2011miles.com wrote (see)
    Rugby shirt from Bedford Harriers half marathon in December was nice...
    I'm wearing mine from 2009 right now  image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Mat Rushton wrote (see)

It's xempo. A friend of a friend started this company - bloody good runner apparently . I'm not sure if I grasp the concept myself or am I just modest, just seems like bragging to me...

Would not be bragging in my case - it would be slightly embarrassing if anything (another good reason not to do it!)

I have rarely bought any mementos from races. 

I did get one from a race in France last year.  They gave a technical t to each competitor, but you could also buy cotton ones.  I really liked the design, so I bought one.  It doesn't look like a race t-shirt.

The t-shirts that are provided by French races are generally very good, they have good designs, a choice of sizes, the women's ones are cut differently from the men's, and you collect them before the race. 

They are usually technical fabrics (which for the person who asked, means made of a wicking fabric, rather than cotton).

The ones you get from English races are usually pretty poor, although I have still got the one from my first ever race, back in 1999 image

• Peter Collins wrote (see)
    Things you can eat AND put on your skin? Yuk.
    biker-mouse wrote (see)

image chocolate spread

might propose that one image

Not quite what I meant but maybe that's one for race organisers to think about!!
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Cotton is wicking.

It is one of the most wicking fabrics there is.

Tech fabrics do not wick - though most people think it's the other way around.

Cotton is also one of the most breathable fabrics there is.

Wicking is the fabrics ability to absorb moisture. Cotton does it better than most other fabrics. What it also does is hang onto the moisture.

Tech fabrics do not absorb moisture, they are woven fine enough with big enough gaps in the weaving to allow moisture to pass through.

Most cotton T's around probably only cost £1 max to produce - I was buying mine at 99p each and they weren't the cheapest. This is the sort iof quality of T that you'd get as a race T.

• Heavy, tight around neck / too much plastic = bad

Cheap, thin, baggy = good

My fave ones are the ones that go nicely under a long top in the winter. They look the crappiest, but are the most useful.

• My biggest issue I have with the t-shirts is they always seem to be misshaped seconds....
    the VLM T-Shirt this year would be perfect for someone weight 15 stone with a long torso short arms.... damn thing looks like a dress on me.

The t-shirts always seem to have really weird proportions and look terrible because of it, although it could be me with the weird proportions. image

Only decent fitting t-shirt I have got from an event is the grim challenge one.