Inspire "Elders"

Comments

• BecX well done on passing your course!

Still feel sh*t today, I may have to go for a run tomorrow to see how they feel as I ahve Heckington 10 mile race on Saturday.

• Farby, wow well done you're doing fab with all of your training. Bet your clothes are feeling bigger on you even though you don't feel like you're losing weight. I've got to the point where giving up alcohol is easy when no posh meals with friends are taking place image then it all goes to sh*t image

Pegg, fantastic training from you too, this fight in the league is doing you both good I think image

Min, did you get my piccy of the place my injury was? It actually ached right the way up.. Almost like it was a thin line (which turns out to be the soleus).

Hope you're feeling better soon RP. Sounds like the heat has made you feel icky.
  • Didn't get the piccie, Cabbey - where did you send it? image

Been sitting here all day yesterday and now today in compression socks and not doing any running at all!  Champing at the bit to get out there tomorrow with Odie and see what's happening.

I hope you're not blaming me & mr t for your lack of willpower image

Good luck for sunday RP - I forgot it was heckington this weekend, at least that means the weather is going to be hot hot hot as it's usually the hottest day of the year, isn't it?image

• I sent an MMS to your phone... Will email it instead
  • Min yes it's gonna be a hot one, I have a running partner for Saturday and also a bet with someone so I can't back out. Im feeling a lot better today, still tired so I didn't go for a run. I will see how I feel tomorrow, I may go for a cycle.
  • I think I may have forgotten to tell you, Sandy has made the qualifying time for age group GB team, we now have to wait to see if he definately gets a place at the world champs in Nevada in November. I am so proud of him. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed
  • That's fabulous RP - please pass on our bestest congratulations to him xx
  •  great news RP hope he gets a place

had a nice run this morning

• wow, fabulous news RP.
  • I ran image.  Not pretty, not fast and with an Odie who has a fear of cows and horses, and seeing as how we ran part of the Seabank marathon course...... (basically a trail run with *lots and lots* of "wild" animals, t'was an interesting adventure!!!  My calf is now aching image but it was just fine during the run, so i am attempting to stretch (but it makes everything cramp up) and I've iced for ages and ages and now I just have to add the ice to something cold and friendly and inviting (obviously not bubbles cos that just isn't right, no siree). 
  • I have to admit I would love a glass of bubbles now.
    *wanders off in a sulk to make a cup of tea instead*
  • I just want to lose a stone in weight, but that isn't happening if i'm gonna eat my white Maltesers tonight! hard choice.

I will pass on your regards to OH, he has been on the computer all afternoon looking at hotels and flights and moaning about the fact I haven't applied for a passport yet. I have now!

• Evening all.  Just sticking my head in to say hello.

Maltesers would win for me RP.... I assume you have either eaten them or not by now!  Did you show more willpower than I would??  Congrats to your OH as well that's amazing.  Oh and best of luck for Sunday.

Hope the shins holding up OK Min.  Made me smile imaging you being chased by cows and horses with your nervous running mate!  Although I did get chased by a goose once....

• Hello all

RP - great news..hope he gets his place!

Min - how are the shins?

I am off to Cardiff totoday with middle daughter so will try an LSR tomorrow! I am trying to lose weight too..have been for ages but just not happening. It definately gets more difficult as you get olderimage

• Nice to see you Mad, good luck for the lsr tomorrow. I've just done 16.8 miles and was so shattered I had to have an afternoon nap!!!! Still, it was a 3 hour run and I expected to do only 16 so I suppose it's ok... And my longest run for 8 months too!

I'm not a maltesers fan myself. I'm one of those wierdos who likes getting the coffee sweet in Revels image
  • imageimage I like the coffee sweets too, Maltesers won!!!

race report............................................

only joking

• Race report would be good RP image
  • Cabby - well doen on the 16.8..great run. I can empathise with the need for an afternoon nap!

I did 10 miles in all this morning. My son joined me for 1.5miles, I was completely cream crackered by that time! Still can't run the distances I was doing for VLM but at least I can get out there!

• Well done Cabbey, Mad and Minardi.  I've put off today's four miler until tomorrow to try to give my now triple layer blister a chance to heal before I go making it worse again!  So it'll be 4 miles of fartleks tomorrow night, 6.5miles of intervals on Tuesday, a regular 8 miles on Thursday and my long run of 13miles on Saturday.  Fingers crossed my work diary doesn't change and I might just fit it all in. 

One questions for you seasoned lsr runners.  The sports drink and gels combo are killing my teeth.  I've not been able to bite on anything properly since yesterday's run.  Is there a trick to making this not happen?  I've tried cleaning my teeth as soon as I get in, but it didn't help...

• Pegg I never have sports drink AND gels... I once read it should be one or the other so I only ever stick to water. You're following a tough plan there btw, most plans don't have hard runs on consecutive days (lsr/fartlek/intervals ...any of these normally come after an easy day so as not to injure yourself). I'm sure you've chosen wisely though and not trying to put you off but I think you were wise to ditch the fartlek today

How are you feeling after your 13 miles?

Mad, well done for your 10 miles. It's amazing how quick you come back from a bit of a layoff, so i'm sure if you really wanted/needed to, you could get up to the longer distances no problem image
  • Hi Cabbey - I've been drinking the electrolyte drink to try and stop myself swelling up when I run (and it seems to be working so far), so I added the gels to give me some energy boosts at regular intervals. 

What does everyone else do?  I'm getting more confused the more I get into this!!  And if anyone has any hints to make me stop wanting to close my eyes and sleep while I'm running (generally more than 6miles), I'd appreciate it.  The urge to curl up by the side of the road is so strong sometimes!!  Apart from my blister (which is going down bit by bit) I feel ok today.  My knees know I've done 'something' but they're not sore as such.  But then I ran so slowly I probably don't deserve to ache (although the rub down from M yesterday evening probably helped too image).

• Pegg - the urge to curl up by the side of the road was with me as well today.  I do not cope well in any temperatures over 10 degrees!  The way I cope is to remember that it's the tough runs that get you through on marathon day.  I'm with Cabbey on the sports drink or gels thing as well - largely because I need the water to get the gels down horrible things!  They do work though.  On the actual marathon day I sometimes have a sip or so of sports drink between gels (which I take every 5 miles) but much more tends to upset my stomach.  

Managed 13 whole miles today which was my longest run since Edinburgh.  Was hot and hard work though - like Mad I can't believe I was running 20 plus miles earlier this year.  Sure it will get easier soon though.... won't it??

• The cardinal rule is not to have 2 consecutive hard days training or you risk injury. Of course there are some people who do it and manage fine but they tend to be fitter than the average bear image Maybe you're tired because you're doing too much? I dunno! Do you sleep well at night and do you eat ok? If the sleep at night is disturbed or you're not as hungry as normal (or both) they can be a sign of doing too much too soon.
    I love the smartcoach on here.. If I didn't have my own thing going on I would use smartcoach as it's brilliant and you get to chose your long run on whatever day you want. Maybe have a look at it and see what you think?
    As to the drink and gels you may be getting too much, however if it works for swelling hands etc I can see why you're doing it.
  • morning all. image

i always use smartcoach!

Pegg, I can see why you choose to gel and drink - prhaps a different gel or not so strong flavoured drink - prhaps just water and half a nuun or something (dioralyte or whatever it's called?)

Happy Monday one and all

• Pegg have you tried the Zero electrolyte tablets or nuun tablets which are also just electrolyte? then you can still use the gels without overloading on the sugar. I tried flat coke at last weekends marathon and it was brilliant but not practicle to train withimage You need to experiment. How come your getting blisters?

cabbey I dont really want to do a race report,it would be a bit boring (flat and non descript course) I did peebee 1hr 24mins(not hard either, as this was only the 2nd time doing a 10mile course)

Mad and becX I often have the urge to curl up and go to sleep at the side of the road. If it wasn't for the fact I booked last Saturdays race a week after the marathon, I probably wouldn't run for a month, I sure don't feel like doing another run never mind a marathon  at the moment but needs must, so being a good girl I have printed a smart coach plan off and am going to hash it together with a triathlon plan, hopefully it will be less stress on the joints and still do a good run in Amsterdam.

• Well done on the PB RP! image  That's super speedy!  You must be pleased.

I tried Smartcoach, but it only had me running 3 times a week and the times seemed really slow even for me so I switched to the garmin ready download.  The 5hour marathon one only went up to 15 or 18 miles for the longest run so I'm doing the 4.5hour one instead (it goes up to 20miles twice) and just slowing some of it down.  I was worried I wouldn't get fit fast enough on the smartcoach one... image

I've just spoken to a colleague who has run a couple of marathons - she's suggesting (like Min and RP) to make up the electrolyte drink at 50-75% strength and then combine it with the gels.  I'm using the SIS lemon and lime drink at the moment but I do have some Zero electrolyte tablets too so I took two bottles of SIS and one of Zero on Saturday so that I got a change of flavour.

As for sleep Cabbey - I usually get 7 hours a night (but would like to have 8) - going to bed around 10, falling asleep around 10:30 and getting up at 5:30am.  Maybe I'll try going at 9:30pm instead, but if I'm running I don't get home until 9pm so it gets tight sometimes.  Re eating, I'm trying to have a main meal at lunchtime then if I'm running I have a meusli bar in the car on the way home, that gives it an hour to go down and then I head out as soon as I get in.  But I don't get time for dinner on those nights image.  It's a shorter run tonight so M will make me a tofu/pear/yoghurt/berry smoothie for when I get in (it tastes nicer than it sounds, honestly!).

And the blisters are just my own stupid fault RP - I wore new trainers last weekend when I did my long run, and running since then, although in different trainers, has just meant it keeps coming up again.  I think it'll be better tonight though - it's a lot less sensitive today than it has been.

This is all so much more complicated than I thought it would be!! image

• Pegg.... they automatically give you more speed work when you are running a faster than 5 hour marathon time... maybe that is the issue. Actually... I'll send you an email

• I don't know, there's nothing for days and then "WHAM" everyone talks at once!

Pegg - if I was you, I'd just stop running altogether. It's so unfair on other people in the Fetch league image Seriously though, that programme does seem excessive, even for a marathon (of which I have done none, so you might just wish to totally ignore me!). If I was doing a marathon, the mere thought of that kind of programme would put me off immediately! I know you probably have a goal time in mind, but can't you be a little kinder to yourself?

And with the drinks and the gels: have you tried something other than gels? It might help cut the sugar content if you find you can't cut the drinks? The only gels I ever used were those natural honey ones I used for GER, and I never really felt they did any good at all. I'm not even convinced that jelly babies were all that good either, but it's never been a real issue seeing as I've not gone over about 16 miles ever.

I have to say that carrying water on my 8 miler last week made a MASSIVE difference. I'm obviously getting far more dehydrated than I realised. But as I was running today I actually noticed the sweat dripping from my eyebrows... Shouldn't be surprised really, but I am continually surprised at how quick I am at the moment in this heat. I did my 10K PB pace over my 5 miles today, and it was 32degrees out there. Go figure!
  • Ugh, I spend too much time with Yanks image

Must immediately adopt a stiff upper lip attitude and associated accent! image