Options

Inspire "Elders"

1656667686971»

Comments

• Options

I dreamt about swimming last night image

well done on all the training Pegg. Getting started is the worst part in my opinion. I always worry in the first week I'll have no motivation but it comes!

hi Q and BI image

I'm ok... Plodding along (literally... Lol)

• Options

Pegg  - well done on your return...and the tumble turns!

BI- good luck next for the tri image

Cabby- good to hear from you...hope your are still enjoyinhg the plodding?

I have been doing a fair bit of exercise, and trying to get the running going again. Been okay but have a sore knee today!

• Options

First triathlon race of the year today. The weather was awful. For once it felt warmer n the water than out! My swim didn't go well but at least I wasn't last out of the lake. The bike course was tough - rain, windy, and twice I got pelted with hailstones, not nice and a bit dodgy with ice all over the road. Luckily when I got to the long downhill section it was dry. It rained on me on the run section too, but I finished. So did hubby. Us Brits are tough aren't we? The marshals told us many people gave up due to the cold - during the bike my legs and feet were so cold I couldn't feel them and my hands kept cramping. Anyway, nice finisher medal and a polo shirt - that's the reward for 1500m swim/40km bike/10km run! Plus some cake and lots of fruit. And we do this for fun!

• Options

Well done on finishing BI, hope you soon warmed up

• Options

Wow that sounds pretty epic for the first one of the year BI!  Well done to you both for getting through it.  I guess they can only get better/warmer from here... image

• Options

Well I hope so - 2nd one tomorrow but it doesn't seem to be any warmer! I'm getting really fed up with the cold weather.

• Options

I'm probably too late typing this now, but best of luck BI!image

• Options

Thanks - here's my report. Well, our crappy weather continues over here! 2nd triathlon of the season, it was again freezing cold, windy and didn't stop pelting with rain all day - getting really tired of this. I had a 'mare with the swim, almost missed my wave start, had to jump in at the last second, my goggles weren't seated properly and let in water so I had to adjust them at the end of the first lap. Hubby was in the 2nd wave so was watching me and to my surprise he told me later I wasn't last out - I never looked back to see, just climbed out and ran for my bike. On the bike I got going pretty well right from the start and kept waiting for the fast guys from wave 2 to pass me, but I managed to get to the transition to the run with only 10 having caught me up, pleased with that. Then into the transition zone, racked my bike, removed my helmet (it's a DQ if you take it off before hanging  your bike on the rack), pulled my bike shoes off, shoved feet into running shoes and off for the 3-lap run. Part of it was muddy and a bit slippery so caution was needed. Perversely I actually enjoyed the race in spite of the awful weather - and the volunteers at the finish had a plentiful supply of cake and hot tea, very welcome! I made a point of thanking all the volunteer marshals out on the course, I've been in that position and it isn't fun in the cold and rain. Double success today,OH won M60 and I won W60, so we got to stand on the podium together. 100% so far, two races, 2 age group wins. Of course it helps that there are very few over-60 women triathetes competing! Now have to wash all the wet muddy kit - due to the weather I wore a swimsuit, sports bra, top and bike shorts over it, and a zip-up jacket on the bike, plus my bike and run shoes are all muddy and wet.... the down side of tri! But today was fun, in spite of the terrible weather.

• Options

Us triathletes must be a bit weird - the organisers said that over 2/3 of the people who were registered actually turned up to race despite the weather. Well I've always enjoyed muddy cross-country races.

• Options

Well done to both of you BI - and a great report too image  Glad you enjoyed it better.  When is your next one?

• Options

Scheduled for 23rd June but I'm not sure about doing it, may just be a step too far for me at my present level. I'll decide later this week. It's my turn as a race marshall next weekend for our club tri - always a busy weekend as we have to help with set-up on Saturday, marshall the course on Sunday and then help tear down after.

We were highly amused that there's a mistake in the results list, it shows John finished over an hour behind me but that's rubbish, he started in the 2nd wave and overtook me on the run so actually he beat me by about 25 mins! I've never beaten him at any distance ever.

• Options

well done to you both BI, hope it was a bit warmer for your marshalling dutie's

• Options

yes it was, sunny but still a bit of a wind GQ, so I did need a jacket. I thought that might mean the weather has turned for the better but oh no! Yesterday's middle distance tri was cancelled due to a big storm that broke over the lake just before the swim start. At first the organisers said they would turn it into a bike and run but the rain got really heavy so caution won out - better to do that than risk injuries on a very wet road. I would NOT have wanted to cycle that course - two laps with a very big climb and steep descent through a dim forest, road surface is terrible. Discretion the better part of valour yesterday I think.

• Options

We entered another triathlon yesterday so fingers crossed for better weather! We know the bike course because it's part of the famous Challenge Roth Ironman distance race which we have both done several times.

• Options

Agree with that BI. Good luck with your next tri