Tewkesbury Half-Marathon

Comments

• M,oFoM,oFo ✭✭✭

Received my pack in the post over the weekend, so I'm all ready to go now.

Did 2:03 last year and would love to get under that 2hr mark, but a little extra weight and a little less training don't seem to point to being successful this year, but it's good training for the Vitruvian in September.

• Hello everybody

At three miles down the road from my house, I guess this qualifies as my local half!  Having said that, this will be the first time I have run it.  I will be there with a large contingent from my running club, ALMOST ATHLETES.  You can't miss us - we're the ones in the purple and flourescent yellow tops! 

There has been a change of event organisers this year.  The race and 5 mile run are now being organised by 2:13 Adventure Events/Beyond the Limitations.  They organise a lot of ultra races etc in Gloucestershire.  Here's a link to their website, which also has a route map (not as clear as the one previously posted on this thread):

http://www.beyondthelimitations.co.uk/1.html

Looks like you can enter online via this website as well as via Runners World.

For those of you who need more information or don't have your race pack yet, I would say that the route is pretty much flat with a few undulations, the middle section around the villages of Kemerton and Bredon being the prettiest part.  After that there's a bit of a slog along the main road back towards Tewkesbury.  Save a bit of energy for a cheeky incline in town near the finish so it doesn't catch you out.  The finish is across the road from the start (300m apart). 

Free car parking is in a field adjacent to the start of the race (postcode for satnav: GL20 5TT).  From the looks of the race information there is no baggage store.  Chip collection on the morning of the race from 7:30am.  The start is divided into time zones.  There are four feed stations on the course at approximately 5k intervals with High 5 energy drink at feed station 2.  Medals for all finishers.

The organisers' contact number is 01452 720967. 

Wishing everyone a great race and enjoyable time in Tewkesbury!  By the way, there is a wide choice of pubs and cafes in the town itself if you want to eat after the race.  I think most will be open. 

• P.S.  Just found that the race information is online, might be of interest:

http://www.beyondthelimitations.co.uk/Tewks-2011-instructions.pdf

LP

• Guys.. Im confused. I'm sure in the race pack it said baggage storage? I don't want to lumber my pregnant girlfried with all my stuff. Does anyone know for sure? This is 2nd half this year in race format, and I keep bringing more and more stuff everytime I do one!
  • @ Ladyplodder - do you have any recommendations for somewhere for lunch? There will be 4 adults (2 of us running) and 5 children. Thanks! xx

• Marc - just checked my race pack again and I can't see any mention of bag storage, but that's not to say there isn't any!  It is a pretty big race and I'd be surprised if the organisers hadn't made any provision but you never know.  If you're coming by car you could leave most of your stuff there as the finish is only across the road, about 300m from the start.  Or call the organisers for clarification?

Petite S - if you head into town after the race you should hopefully have a decent choice of pubs and cafes for a meal.  It's about half a mile's walk from the finish or you could drive and park in the town centre on the street.  The Royal Hop Pole is now a Wetherspoons and might fit the bill as you have a number of small mouths to feed.   Cafe Ricci on the High Street does fab coffee, paninis, cakes, milkshakes etc.  There are also two or three different chippies.  All depends what you're in the mood for eating!  Hope you find something you like.

• Great race today, ran much slower than I'd hoped, although felt like I was putting in the effort!  Not sure how the wind affects times but it did feel pretty hard going at times lol. Think i ran around 1:44.  How'd everyone else get on?
  • 1:44 something here too I think.. Who said it was flat? and the @#& wind... not the most scenic route but otherwise a gr8 race. Bottled water which wasn't really needed but a nice to have. nice medal at the end image
  • what ever , how ever it was run

well done

it's not flat no granted, but flatish  compared to some, we still hold our HM best there of 1:43

not got near it in 3 years now, closest is around 1:48

but i'm older, 53 almost and phillip is a man and heavy now, he's 22

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    1:32:59 for me today. My first time under 1.35 and a PB by over 3 minutes. I am undecided whether the wind helped or hindered me today. It was hard going in the second half of the race running into the wind and it certainly isn't flat, although there are no steep inclines.
  • Results are available via the link below for the 5 miler, half marathon results to follow . . .

http://www.beyondthelimitations.co.uk/3.html

Boy, was it windy out there today!

• Well done to all who completed today. Set out at 5am to take part in this race and wasn't dissapointed.

Pretty new to this running thingy and my times show compared to a lot of the posts out here, but hey, I'm running for personal pride. If you were unfortunate to be stuck behind me you may have had to put up with my electronic lady in my rear pocket telling me how I was getting on every half mile ( runkeeper for Android!! ). She won't shut up and can't find a settings page to turn her off!

I think I managed around 2h 11m, which would be a personal best for me but my electronic lady friend tells me that I ran .3 miles longer than the set course.

Windy from about 10.5 miles and that is basically where I bombed but hey, still very happy to have competed and completed. Great medal, not got one in that shape so a welcome surprise.

Hope Plymouth next week will be just as good image

• Results are now up for the half.  Does anyone else think that the times shown are gun times, not chip times?  There is quite a discrepancy between my Garmin and my official time!
  • WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    http://www.beyondthelimitations.co.uk/resources/TewkesburyHalfmarathonresults22May2011.pdf

Over 30 seconds slower than my watch time. Must be gun times. Although my brother's time is showing slower than the big clock was when he crossed the line. I'd imagine there was someone counting in his head the seconds as people crossed the line. Would not surprise me with Tewkesbury.
  • yep mine too, it does say (Provisional) ??? who knows what that means image
  • Runkeeper on androind clocked me at 2hrs 14m 55s doing 13.47 miles yet my chip time was 2hrs 14m 42s for 13.1m. A discrepancy I'm not going to question as happy to get a pb but think it might be needed to be looked into for future events. I drove 300 mile round trip to do this run so would expect to get perfect timimgs

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    The distance will be fine. GPS is never 100% accurate. I measured it at 13.24 on my Garmin 305.
  • Hmmm, these must be clock times!
  • Just checked the times and they are not correct... They have put me as 1hr 57 when even my gun time was 1hr 55mins and 50+ seconds and I know there was 1 half to 2 mins to take off for my chip time, so they have even given me a time longer than the gun time.  The whole preparation and organisation was the worst I have seen at an event.  I had my bib number in the post and when I arrived this morning, they couldn't find my chip, so had to give me another bib number.  Then I noticed the new bib number didn't match the new chip on my ankle. The man handing out the chips told me not to worry, as it will still record my time, but it hasn't recorded the right time.  For all the time it took sorting out the chip/bib, I then had to wait in a very long queue for the toilet, which I didn't get to go to because they still started the race at 9.30am, even though they'd wasted people's time being so unprepared.  Other's too, were moaning about the chip's being lost and the disorganisation of it all. I don't know, maybe it was due to the new organisers.  As for the actual race, didn't find it too bad, but the wind also made a difference, I feel.  Not sure whether I will be doing Tewkesbury again after this experience.  I notice an earlier post stating that these times may be provisional, so let's see!!
  • WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    It says 'provisional' at the top of the results.
  • I just can't understand why the organisers can't publish gun and chip times simultaneously in this day and age!  I THINK Black Sheep Sports did the timing for this event.  There's nothing more detailed on their website though. 

Surely better to wait a bit and publish both rather than burst people's bubbles as is happening here. 

Hmph. . .

• I'm hoping the wind did make a difference because I have legs sore enough for a pb but missed it by two mins by my timing. More by the organisers, but gonna trust my gamin 405, I've known it longer and it's proved reliable. I clocked the course about 120 metres over, which is usually about right with weaving in and out.
  • I have had a look at my time, and it is out by 1 min plus.  Okay they say provisional, but surely this isn't correct, I thought it was just a case of downloading data.  I hope that they sort this matter out.

So what happened to the High 5 drink at the half way point?  If you say its going to be there, it needs to be there. If you were in a restaurant and did get a drink, you would receive a refund.  Sorry, but I'm fed up with being promised things at running events and the organiser doesn't deliver.image

• There was something being handed out in cups at one of the feeding stations. There was also bottled water at the same station, which is what I took. Could the energy drink have been in the cups?
  • I'm not going to look at the results while they don't seem to be right and I'll just stick with the PB that my Garmin showed. It clocked the distance at 13.2 and my sister's was exactly the same. I noticed that for the first few miles my Garmin was spot on with the mile markers but then went off about half way through the course.

Kerry - I looked out for you but couldn't find you!

Anyone else up for Bourton on 18 June? image

• Matches my Garmin too, do you usually find you run over distance? It wasn't too crowded so does seem excessive, I thought I'd run a good line?  Was it certified by UK Athletics does anyone know?
  • WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Have you had a look at the track the Garmin recorded? Mine has me running in fields and going back and forth from one side of the road to the other. This is why they usually show a distance further than the race distance. They are not accurate and should be used as a guide only. I planned my pace today based on running 13.2 as I knew it would come up around that distance. Always does for a half marathon on my watch.

I was annoyed there was no sports retailer there. Needed to buy a top as I forgot to bring a coat. I was so cold at the start.
  • in fairness. i did see a retailer at the start. on the road down from the car park on the right, had trainers laid out.  My Garmin track doesn't have fields but it is normal to over-run for sure.  Some courses are long but if this one was it wasn't by much image
  • WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Not sure how I missed the retailer. Sure it wasn't someone just selling the trainers out of the un-manned baggage tent/pile?
  • lol don't think so! You could easily have missed it unless you parked in the top car park and walked down. it wasn't on the main grassed area.