Tewkesbury Half-Marathon

Comments

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Hmm, we parked at the top car park and walked down....a few times. Must be blind.
  • Hmmm and we still missed it image

• I may have dreamt it but did scan the trainers and thought - No! lol
  • Those times are definitely Gun , not Chip . Trust 2.09 will update soon & publish the correct Chip Ones.

• My Nike Plus app measured 12.8 miles, I'm assuming I can trust the race organisers to have measured the course accurately?!
    I also didn't see any energy drinks at the water stations but wasn't relying on them anyway.
    Agree that the times seem to be gun times, does anyone know why some names are highlighted in blue? Mine is one of them, am I special?!
  • They will be HERE

The course wasnt short

• You beat me to it PFS thx. and no it wasn't short! image
  • No it definitely didn't feel short! I have GPS issues.
  • Just to confirm the event was remeasured this year and has a UKA certificate of accurasy and was lengthened slightly on previous years when the course had to make a slight diversion and went parallel to the High Street due to a building collapsing and under repair.

We franchised the event to 213 Adventure Events and as such I don't have the details of the timing company used - Norman Wilson, the organiser has gone to South Africa for a week for the Comrads Marathon but I'll endevour to track down the chip timings - I know they exist as one of the athletes I had there finished 4th in a PB and her time was 1.30.38 chip time and 1.32.04 gun time.

• Disappointed with this one.

Everyone was warming up and milling around on the grass at the start, awaiting some orginasation and maybe an announcement. There were a hundred or so people of various ages, shapes and sizes including a large group of charity runners RIGHT at the front on the start line. We obviously thought they would asked to move back so that the people in the sub 1.30 pen could get a good start. Suddenly, the airhorn sounded and they were off. Much to the confusion of many runners. Anyone wanting a decent PB then had to fight through a large group of much slower runners to get going.

The finish was good and Tewkesbury is lovely but not worth a two hour drive down for a course that has been described as 'the most uninspiring and boring route ever!' and a start that was so disorganised.

• I was 4 0r 5 rows back from the start line and these people were not in front of me. So they were not RIGHT at the front.

I would take the starting pens with a pinch of salt at events like this where they are not enforced. If you have done races before it is fairly easy to have an idea where to place yourself at the start.

• I placed myself in an honest position, 1 hr 40 -  2 hr pen, but I also had to fight my way through numerous slower runners.  I never even heard the horn, just all of a sudden the pack moved forward.  The first I heard about a horn was on this forum

The times are still listed as provisional and the photos have still not been published.  This is turning out to be a long wait.

I notice that Mike Gratton has posted that this event was  franchised to 213 Adventure Events.  I hope that he takes on board our comments.

• For the benefit of anyone who is interested, just had this email response from Trevor at Black Sheep Sports, who did the chip timing for this event:

Yes chip times will be available. As soon as the timer comes in I will upload them onto our site.

Regards

Trevor Kingdon
    Events and Timing Director
    Black Sheep Sports Ltd

What I find strange is why I should have to ask this question as a runner! 

LP

• Hi Sportbilly,

I was there on the day and will feed back all comments and my own observations as I'm sure that 213 Adventure Events will want to make things as good as they can be going forward as they have the event for the next 2 years with an option to continue.

Norman Wilson, the race director, had to go off to Durban for the Comrades Marathon today as he is the GB Ultra Team Manager so I won't be in touch with him until he returns in a week or so but he is very ammenable and open to suggestions.

• I did the Cirencester Half last year (which was organised by Black Sheep Sports Ltd ) and it was the least well-organised event I have ever been to image. Tried following their map to the start and it was nowhere near that shown on the map. Asked for directions and went up and down the main road about 3 times before a bloke in a jeep appeared from nowhere and about 3 cars followed him down through a long, winding road to the assembly area. Then had to queue for 25 mins to use the loo (which was one wooden shack with two sit-down loos and 3 urinals), which is not what you want when there were hundreds of people there. Am sure it was much longer than 13.1 miles as well as most people thought it was more like 14!
  • Hi Scooty

It is my understanding that Black Sheep only provided the chip timing for this event.  As Mike Gratton said in an earlier post, organisation of the event itself was franchised to 213 Adventure Events/Beyond the Limitations.

To be fair, Black Sheep can only upload the chip times when they receive the timer (which I would have thought is out of their control).

LP

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    It's not the least well organised race I've done - I did Birmingham last year. It was a typical Tewkesbury race.

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    They weren't there when I clicked your link. Although my Internet is playing up so maybe they were just hiding.
  • Chip Times ?........starting pens?.............slower runners?.........Photos?.....

Crikey we all like a bit of a moan don't we.

• Dear Runners / athletes - people who run for the fun of it.

We have uploaded the results onto www.blacksheepsportsltd.co.uk - (just click on the results link)

Search for your name or number and you will be able to see your result and your chip time.

The results and chip times were sent to the organiser on the day - it is their option to display the results as they want to.  This is to say that the results are based on gun times as per IAAF rules.  Net time is for athletes information only and has no bearing on the results.

Hope you all had a good run

(and as mentioned earlier - we were indeed just doing the timing - please send all comments - constructive please as this allows the events to become even better - to the organisers)

Happy running

Trev

• Thanks Trev. 

I for one was curious to see my chip time given the blustery conditions in Tewkesbury yesterday!  30 secs faster and I would have PB'd - dang!

• WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Woo!! One second quicker than my watch time!
  • 1:44:34 finally!! I am Tewkesbury moaned out!! On to the next race... Bourton!
  • I'm still interested to know what happened to the High 5 drink at the half-way point? image
  • http://results.racetectiming.com/Results.aspx?CId=27&RId=51&EId=1

Us as runners do seem to expect gun times and chips times fairly promptly these days. I set my Garmin to 13.1 miles and started it as I went across the timing mat. My result showed 1:40:03 whereas the results on web were 1:41:33. Using the link I pasted above, if you find yourself and click on your name you can see your chip time. Work out your finish leg time minus your start leg time and I think that is about right. Mine is now close at 1:40:26

Never had to do this before. Have always been within a few seconds. I thought the chip timing was the one to record as you can't argue with it.

Cheers