Options

Tewkesbury Half-Marathon

124»

Comments

• Options
    The only time im interested in is my chip time of 1.22.26. Ross, whats the purpose of working out the above?
  • Options

Hi PFS

The times did not coinicide with my reading, which I believe is correct. I believe that mine is correct as I set my Garmin to 13.1 miles and started it as I crossed the timing mat. I would have only expected +-5seconds difference. Loads of people are questioning the times posted, to be 1 min 30 secs out seems ridiculous. The only way I could see to getting to my time was as above. Why there is a leg time under the chip time I'm not sure. A few have said the route was 13.2 miles ?

Maybe the chip time is correct at 13.2 miles. Anyway I'm not really that bothered as I missed my target anyway but it does seem that there is so error.

If I didn't have a garmin I wouldn't be questioning this

• Options

So you have calculated your time based on running 13.1 miles?  I have done several half marathons and used my garmin on all of them.  This half measured 13.23 on mine. Ive had some measure 13.35, but never had one measure 13.1.

I have been chasing a sub 1.20 for a while now. If I based some of my results on 13.1 miles then my PB would be 1.19. However its not and remains at 1.20.39 on a cousre that my garmin measured as 13.2 miles

Tewkesbury  was not long and too many people assume a course is long because there Garmin says so . We all know a course is measured to a line and I dont think many people follow that line. Then you have to take in consideration weaving in and out of people. The fact that a gps is not 100% accurate should also be taken into consideration. 

A gps watch is a great training aid, but should only be used to give you a rough idea of pace and distance in a race IMHO

• Options

Well all I can say is, based on my experience, something is a little inaccurate. But, when the results turn from the provisional ones to the confirmed ones that is what I will be etch on my medal. So in other words I gracefully accept their results, and that will of course be fair for everybody.

Cheers

Ross

• Options
    WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    GPS is never accurate. If you can, have a look at the course your GPS watch plotted on a satellite map (fetcheveryone lets you do this) and you'll see just how inaccurate they are.
  • Options
    WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    Just to add, when I ran the London Marathon last year I measured it as 26.8. How do you explain that?
  • Options
    The course was obviously long image
  • Options
    WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    If I could 'like' that, I would.
  • Options
    My chip time is showing as 1hr 57 on the race results, which i know for a fact is wrong, as when I got to the finish line the time hadn't even got to 1hr 56, so I really don't know why this chip timing is wrong, when it is calculating me even slower that the gun time.  I know from the moment I crossed the start mat to the time I finished was only between 1hr 53 and 1hr 54.... I have tried to contact Black Sheep on 2 different phone numbers, but there is never any answer.  I know it may be only a couple of minutes difference, but it is really frustrating.  Not sure i'll be entering any more events now where Black Sheep do the timing or Beyond the Limitations are organising the event.  Badly organised and I too didn't see the energy drink at mile 6 :0(
  • Options
    WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    It took me around 20 or 30 seconds to get across the start line and I started my watch when I crossed the start mat. I stopped my watch when I crossed the finish mat. My watch said 1:32:58. My chip time matched exactly. The only way it could be wrong is if you had the wrong chip. I'd imagine the technology behind chip timing is very simple. It records the time of day when you cross one mat and then records when you cross another mat. It calculates the time between crossing the two mats. Not very difficult. It wouldn't record the finish time some time after you had crossed the mat as you would have been out of range of the sensors. So I can't see how the timing chips could be wrong.

How did you time it? Did you have a GPS watch on? Do you have it on autopause? There was a bridge we ran under and lost the signal. This would cause the watch to pause. I have done this once in a race. I thought I had a pb and it wasn't (GNR last year - gutted when I realised). I used to have it on autopause as it was easier when training if I had to stop to cross a road but have disabled it now.
  • Options
    Agreed, you need to understand your GPS watch if you're going to use it.  Always view the actual map afterwards to see where it has not measured and when you upload it look at "axtual! expired time rather than "time running! because it will assume any time under trees, buildings or bridges were spent drinking coffee in a roadside cafe. As WeV said, turn off your auto-pause and it will be more but not entirely accurate.
  • Options
    WeVWeV ✭✭✭
    The time would be accurate though. That's the point I was trying to make. The distance will never be accurate using GPS.
  • Options
    depends on your settings, by default my garmin would stop the time if ive i stopped, until i changed settings.  for instance traffic lights or if it looses signal under a bridge....
  • Options

It's been great reading all the comments and I think Wev is right. The chip time will be correct although the official website just published the provisional results which I think were gun times. I think this threw everybody. I suppose you have to trust the organisers to measure the course accurately, their equipment must be more accurate than our Garmins. I did enjoy the race, the wind made it hard, I thought the water stops were good, could have been a few more toilets. They ought to set up one of those urinals for the men, it's quick for the blokes and will release a few extra cubicles for others.

• Options

RE: Tewkesbury 1/2 2011.

I thought the whole thing was a little disorganised - definitely a need for more loos! Just looked at the race results and I'm not even on them! The email address given for queries was returned "unable to deliver". I've seen myself on the post-race photos so I must have finished it! Anyone else have any problems?

• Options

No, I didn't have a garmin or a watch, but I did carry my mobile with me and when I crossed the start line it was 9.32am and when I got to the finish line it was 11.25am and although I know that there could be a slight different in seconds, the one thing I cannot understand and if anyone can explain, then please do... the clock timer at the finish line also said 1 hour and 55 mins and 30+ seconds, so how can my chip time be 1 hour 57 when the clock timer at the finish line was 1 hour 55 - this does not make sense at all.... the people waiting for me at the finish line also cannot understand this?????

Trev I also agree how this year was badly organised, having had to race with a chip number different to my bib and having to obtain new ones to the one sent in the post, due to the organizers being unable to find the matching chip to this original number.  In terms of contacting I have rang two different numbers provided on the websites and they are never answered and have no answering machine in order to leave a message.

There was also no energy drink at the 6 mile mark, as stated!