Ranelagh Harriers Richmond 10K

Hi,

I am thinking of entering this one, any hints, help etc woudl be greatly appreciated.

I have created an electronic route map accessible at the link below so people can upload to their GPS etc. My plan is to run a marathion this weekend then attack some shorter distances over the summer so hopefulyl this will be a PB 10k. Looking top go under 6 minutes / mile so sub 37:17

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4479435

Comments

• Have my entry in and race pack appeared yesterday. Will do a jog round the course someday next week before the race.
  • Hi Phil,

No previous experience for this race, but I just jogged the course this morning and no obvious challenge to report: the course is extremely flat and therefore fast. The first km and a half are on a wide road, but then it turns right towards Teddington lock and turns into a narrower road. It then turns left when it reaches the river and narrows further: there might be some crowding issues there - although considering your target pace, you should be ahead of the crowd. But not me (target time 47:30, I say, I did it in 50 this morning...)

• this is a local one for me after having just moved to Twickenham, ive ran part of the course before, by all accounts its a fast one!

will be heading out that way on Weds for a quick trot around the course to get a better idea, anyone actually raced it before?

• Fabrice and DT2 thanks for the feedback. I am planning a jog round on Wednesday as well: the people who I have spoken to who have raced it before just say flat and fast so the signs are good.

Too far ahead to get an accurate weather report but hopes are that the wet spell at the nd of the week will pass by Sunday.

• Hi guys, just been for a quick trot around the course, def PB potential!

start and finish stretch (just under 2KM) has really good surface, should be able to get a really strong finish on there, I was slighly concerned about the 2 laps of the loop section but even that looks OK, the only slowish bit may be the segment that runs along the river, but even that is wind free and sheltered. so looks good, breaks down quite nicely aswell, start/lap1/lap2/finish, for me personally I find it much 'easier' to keep to a good pace when i can break it down like this. really looking foward to giving it a good go on Sun, lets just hope the weather decides to give us a break!

• DT2 wrote (see)

Hi guys, just been for a quick trot around the course, def PB potential!

Thanks for the report. I had hoped to do it first Wed and then I raced too hard Tues so put it off, then I had a leavers lunch so it got ditched. Important that the start and end are good surface as that is where the runners will be thick at the start and the need to push hard at the end.

Weather looks as though it will be OK

• Hello guys

I'm doing it as well.  Good news about it being flat and fast.  Aiming for 46-47min... Good luck!

• Phil, its a good wide start, most of the road looks like its been recently relaid aswell so its a really nice surface, could be a bit of a congestion when it turns off the main road and onto the riverside path but nothing major.

Mon, good luck with the time on Sun, def the right place for it!

• So let's post our times after the event, just to add a bit of pressure: as mentioned, I aim for 47.30, which is ambitious for me. Happy if I achieve sub-48. This is my first 10k and it is also the first time I decided to train seriously for a run, before I get too old! (I'm 41, still a lot of time... hehe) + I have a big carcass of 88 kilos to get into motion. When do we start weight categories like in boxing or martial arts? image
  • So I'm 45 and 65 kg and looking for a few targets:

37:30 (which is 90 seconds per 400m or 6 mins per 1600 m which is just short of a mile)
    37:17 (which is truly 6 mijutes / mile)
    36.xx just anyting starting 36 because 36 sounds nicer than 37

I have done a few 5ks recently in sub 18 so really it is 2 of these plus whatever I slow down by in going from 5 to 10.

• that'll make me a light/junior middleweight then! (70kg)

Good day: sub 35mins

Really good day: anything under 34:21mins

ran a 16:48 5K on Monday so I think im almost back into those sort of times, just hoping that i can get carried along by the fast field, i'll be giving it a right good go though thats for sure!

• 60k here and in my early 30s... not sure - middleweight?:image

Did my last 10k in 47min 40s.  It was a few months ago and since then I've done a marathon in 3h52min (my very first one) but haven't really been concentrating on shorter distances.

Now it's back to hammering 10k and 5k before starting training for the next mara in October. 

My aim is to eventually get it down to 45min but don't think I'm anywhere near yet.

Did my last parkrun in 22min27secons so I'm hoping to get under 47min this time, anything more would be a bonus!

• So you guys will be back home by the time I cross the finish line. Ah, nevermind, I'm sure there will be some mementos and a few energy bars left for me.

In fact, can you guys give me some advice for a 10k: how should I run the first kilometres? I am agonising as to when I should start to push. I thought I would do an easy first km, in 5 minutes, and then start to push until 6k at 4.45/km and then flat out until the finish line and hoping for the best. How does that sound?

• Fabrice- I tend to work out my target pace and try to stick to it all the way, maybe giving it a push during the last 2km if there's anything left in the tank.  But I'm no expert...
  • Mon77 wrote (see)

Now it's back to hammering 10k and 5k before starting training for the next mara in October. 

When and what is the next marathon? October is too late for a traditional autumn marathon and too early for spring.
  • It's Amsterdam on 16th October.

• Why is it too late for an autumn marathon?  NY is in November...image
  • Mon: thats a cracking time for your first marathon! where was it? ran London in April, only started to feel race ready again over the last few weeks! going to enjoy another 2 weeks of short races before i start training for my Autumn mara at the end of Sept (Berlin)

Fabrice: all about playing to your strengths mate, what youve suggested is a pretty sound race plan,  not set out to fast, build into the race over the 1st couple of K's until youve hit your groove, stay at a comfortably hard pace through to the final third, slowly start cranking up the tempo until your last K then give it all youve got down to the finish line.

• DT2- I ran Madrid which was on the same day as VLM.  A lot hotter and hillier so was very happy with my time.  Hoping to get nearer 3h40 in Amsterdam... (should be a lot flatter and cooler).  Would love to do Berlin but when I started looking into it it was already full.  Maybe next year.  It's meant to be really good.  I'm also planning to start picking up the mileage in a couple of weeks....can't wait!image

• London was pretty toasty this year, but Madrid! phew! i dont handle the heat in marathons at all! Berlins a cracking race, ran it in 2009 aswell, Amsterdams a good alternative though, by all accounts its a pretty rapid course! really looking foward to dropping the pace again and just running long!
  • DT2- what time did you do in London?  Probably something ridiculously fast judging by your 10k times....image
  • 2:47hrs, had a shocker of a race though, was going for sub 2:40, went out WAY to fast for 1st 5M then just gradually fell to pieces from 16M, was NOT an enjoyable experience at all! learned a lot of tough lessons from that one! its never a good place to be when youve still got 10M to go and you know exactly what kind of pain is coming! image

• Very impressive... to think that it can be done a whole hour faster...image.  Not in this lifetime I think...
  • .... here I am agonising about my little 10k race plans and they're all about their marathon's tales... oh well... . Providing you see a runner with bib 691 passing the finish line with a smile meaning the clock hasn't struck 48.00 yet, that's the main thing...
  • Looks perfect out there today image good luck everyone, and if you see a guy in white compression socks and a clapham chasers vest slacking tell me to get a move on!
  • DT2 wrote (see)
    Looks perfect out there today image good luck everyone, and if you see a guy in white compression socks and a clapham chasers vest slacking tell me to get a move on!

I chased a Clapham Chaser round most of the way, do you think it was you?

Scores on the doors: home in 36:55 and splits of 18:15 and 18:40 so the first two kms were fast (3:31 and 3:34) then 2 nice (3:41, 3:41) and I paid for those fast ones ( 5 through 8 were 3:46, 3:44, 3:45 and 3:49) but brought it home with 3:42 and 3:40 to avergae 3:41.

Wind was a bit of a factor and I didn't like the start and finish on the grass: hard to decide which was worse: the start was very scary as it was full speed on grass and you couldn't see anything and there were trees and potholes and kerbs and hte finish was just sapping,

• Mixed bag for me, felt strong throughout but didnt realy push myself hard enough for the PB i was after, finished in 35:18, 5K in 17:45. race almost went to plan, didnt set of to hard, finished strong, made the mistake of settling in with a group that i thought were running at the pace i needed for the 2nd loop. wind on a couple of the straights was a bit of a pain, as was the unexpected grass start/finish, actually thought the course started/finished before the speed bumps and pot holes section aswell!

Phil, agree with you the start was def a bit of a nerve shredder! not helped by so many people running FAST at the same pace! could have been me to begin with mate, i spent most of the course chasing down a guy in a black and white hooped vest (dont know what club that is but he was pretty tough to catch!?)

• Right, so I said I would be happy with a sub 48, and unfortunately missed my target (BTW don't be fooled by the pseudo, it is still me, Fabrice, just removed my real name). Finished in 48.35.

A bit disappointed, I passed the 5k at 23.20, so thought my target was at reach, but then could not find the markers between 5k and 8k, and found it difficult to keep a good pace running a bit in the void. So I remember checking my chrono at 8k and thinking, mmmmm, still possible but no time to waste. At 9k the marshal told me I was in for 48 but then, not too sure why, all my hard speed work did not pay off: I just could not push as hard as I wanted to. I just managed to carry on with dignity, but superb finish it was not! I agree with your comments on the finish, I thought the grassy bit was just horrible. For the start, I obviously did not start as fast as you guys, so it did not really bother me.

Oh, well, still some progress from my previous endeavour in the 8.2 miles in Kingston. Maybe sub 48 was just a bit too ambitious. Let's persevere!

• Morning Fab, the change in name there did throw me for a second! thats still a solid time mate, had a ouple of things (markers/wind) not been against you then you'd have to think that your original target would have been on. the missing markers did make a big diff, i rememember trying in vain to spot them myself! ast field, but not such a fast course, maybe just a few tweaks and they'd have a cracking race on the hands, you have to think that next year the potholes will be gone due to the ongoing roadworks down there, and surely they can come up with a better finish!?

• It didn't go well for me at all... a bit of a disaster really... Might've started off too fast or maybe it just wasn't my day (or have been slacking off lately...).  5k in I knew I wasn't going to hit my pb and it all fell apart from then on... Ended up with 49min 40s so 2min slower than my pb from a few months ago.  Very disappointed.image  Oh well... even more determined to give it a go next time.  Back to traning....