Why is the 1st 15mins/3k so hard???....

2»

Comments

• Tracey033Tracey033 ✭✭✭
    Running Kev wrote (see)

Miles 1 - 3 I feel crap. Miles 4 - 6 I feel like I could run for ever, when I get to 8 miles I feel like I have run forever!

You are not alone.

That's so true !!  My legs just seem to take a couple of miles to remember what they're meant to do, then they decide after 8-10 miles they don't want to do it any more - unless I'm in a race image
  • Kinda see what you are getting at Chubby Bloke. I think the OP was referrring to the first 15 minutes of running in training not a race. Therefore I was pointing out that OBVIOUSLY the first 15 minutes of running is made better by the passage of the said 15 minutes of running.

I have never used aerobics to warm up for a race but if the people who run Race For Life races see 3 miles as, what we doctors call, "a bloody long way" then I don't think a 2 mile run is an ideal warm up. Anything that gets the blood pumping and muscles warm would be beneficial. The running off at speed for the first 100m is due to inexperience. If you eneter a charity mass participation event then that is what you get.

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

My heart rate takes about 5mins to get  to 160 then another 10mins to get to 170.

There's a complex biological thing going on. Part of your heart rate is controlled directly by your brain electrically and part of it is due to responses from chemicals including Carbon DiOxide in the blood. The faster you run the more CO2 you produce and the faster the heart needs to pump to get the blood round the lungs for you to get rid of it. The CO2 build up in your system tells your heart how fast to pump.

If your heart rate suddenly blasted right up to max every time you so much as started to walk you would have all sorts of things exploding inside you. I think it's better for it to ramp up gradually.

Warm ups can be anything that gets your heart beating but should include warming up the muscles you are going to use.

• Agreed. That's why we have warm ups. Rememeber reading of some old Finnish runners who always began a run with walking.