Giving blood and its effect on running

Hi there fellow runners,

I am a regular blood donor and two days ago made a donation. This evening I went out and did a little under 8 miles. Although I went at a fairly steady/fast pace (what I cnsider to be steady/fast by the amount of effort I put in), it was about 1 and a half minutes slower than I expected. I felt like my effort didn't amount to a lot of output. I know there are other factors to consider (like the fact it is humid and I had a slight tightening in my right leg) but does anyone know whether giving blood has a direct effect on running performance. "Conventional wisdom" says tht it should as a proportion of red blood cells carrying oxygen has been removed from the body. Anyone in the know? or any pointers towards any research? Help appreciated - thanks.

Comments

• Some athletes in the past have been known to have a pint of blood removed from their body several weeks before an event. On race day they have it pumped back in which is supposed to give the athlete extra performance ( with risks ie high BP). Therfore I would imagine that there are negative effects on your performance if you have had blood removed from your body such as yourself!
  • The biggest affect of giving blood for a healthy person is dehydration. Drink plenty of water afterwards.

It takes about 4 weeks to make up the lost cells (at a rate of millions of cells a minute) but this shouldn't have a significant affect on your performance.

I once went out for a short (5k) run about ten minutes after giving blood and didn't find any difference but I suspect the impact will depend on a lot of factors.

• A few google searches later...

- the blood volume is replaced after a couple of hours / within 24 hours
    - the red blood cells take several weeks to be fully replaced (a couple of sites say this)
    - two other blood sites advises donors to wait 9 weeks or 16 weeks between donations to make sure everything if fully back to normal

I would wait two days before running 'hard'.
    Expect slightly below par performance for at least two weeks.
    Don't race for 3/4 months!
  • tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭

Thanks folks.

So it looks like there may be some effect in the short term (a few days/couple of weeks) but not significant. I am aware of the dehyrdation issue and the advice from the National Blood Service is nothing strenuous for 24 hours after donating. However, as I am a regular donor (three times a year) I'm not sure about about no races for 3/4 months - I have my first half marathon lined up for the end of this month!

• I run with a heart rate monitor, and did an easy run about 6 hours after donating and rehydrating. I noticed (a) my speed was about 10% lower than I would expect for my perceived effort and (b) my heart rate was about 10% higher than I would expect for my perceived effort. So combine the two and it was a severe performance drop. I did not do anything strenuous as that is asking for lightheadedness. Performance was much closer to normal 2 days afterwards, with a further slight improvement after a week, although hard to tell with all the other natural variation in performance.
  • Helvetica Bold wrote (see)
    I  did an easy run about 6 hours after donating and rehydrating.

Wow, that's impressive that you went out at all the same day.  I've given blood a few times but it always makes me feel like shit!  The most I can manage the same day or day after is climbing the stairs!  I sometimes pass out too (there's always one...)

• It takes me at least a week to feel 'normal' again after giving blood. Until then, higher HR than I would expect, and feeling very heavy legged even during a very easy run.
  • my runs always suffer for at least 2 weeks after giving blood, after that it seems to get back to normal, or thereabouts. i don't monitor HR at the mo though, so can't comment on that, but it feels harder for a given speed.
    does anyone know if donating platelets would have the same effects (as it doesn't remove RBCs presumably oxygen carrying capacity is unaffected? image)
  • Hi I hope you dont mind me popping up here. I wonder if anyone has had problems actually being able to give blood as a result of running. I went to donate a few weeks ago after a couple of long runs and was told I had a low count. I was refered to the doc and now I cant donate for ages.

• I got refused for low iron and this didn't increase until I tried again after a period of not much running due to injury. Doesn't prove a link mind.

As for recovery it takes me a good few days to feel normal running after giving blood. Last time I did an 8 miler two days after and felt awful and breathless on a slow paced run.
  • I did mention to my Doc that I trained a lot and he didnt seem to think there was a link yet people at my running club have said that the women runners tend to suffer from amaemia. Its very frustrating as I know its so important to give blood.
  • JohnnybikeJohnnybike ✭✭✭

I used to give blood until I realised that it absolutely knackered me for days and it was a great effort to get  much less than a pint out anyway. The BTS people advised that I shouldn't bother anymore, especially as I did not have an unusual blood type

John

• JB...I think that is a sensible approach. When I used to give at work I used to see too many 'martyrs' who used to have all sorts of problems and were probably more trouble to the staff then they were worth, yet they used to go time after time. I think  they looked on it as gaining brownie points

I don't have any problems giving blood, from any arm and I pretty much bleed when they want me to and stop when they want me to. The actual giving part usually takes ten minutes...so I continue to give.

BTW Sometimes you can have a common blood type but still have more valuable blood. CMV negative blood for instance that can be given to babies.

Yet

• tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭
    Eckytump - I am presuming you are female. As has been pointed out, women do tend to be on the anaemic side more than men for obvious reasons (periods). It may be worth considering "skipping" every third time you are due to donate. My wife (a non-runner) has had this this problem with donations and tends to get rejected about one in three attendances at the donor centre. I don't know whether it is worth taking iron supplements? You also thought there might be a problem with donating caused by running - not sure about that - I would have thought that runners would make excellent subjects to donate seeing how we are quite a health conscious bunch.   In answer to moiri's last post - blood type O negative could be seen as being the "most valuable" as it can be given universally to any recipient (that's my understanding). At the end of the day it is a worthy thing to do - something that not enough people do and at times the NBS have shortages.
  • Oh eck... wish I'd seen this thread before donating on Wednesday. Ran bracknell half this morning and felt like pooo from mile 5 onwards (and no it wasnt just the hills, which were bad enough on their own).

Must remember not to donate the week before a race again DOH! what a wally
  • Funnily enough I was told by a member of staff once that O+ was always required because O+ people knew their blood was common and didn't bother to donate. Also they needed more O+ as there were more people in hospitals with that blood type.
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad this thread has come up, I gave blood 3 1/2 weeks ago & still not feeling right.

When I first started donating 5 years ago I used to bounce right back, donate in the evening & then be back in the gym the next morning.

Now I'm *cough* getting older, I'm noticing it's taking longer to get over, normally after a few days though I'm back to my normal self.

This time seems have totally wiped me out though. My training was fine before donating on the Thursday. Tried to go out on the Sunday & struggled to complete 3 miles. Thought I'd give myself a rest before my next race on the Friday & it was like running on a flat battery.

Done another couple of races & a few training sessions since then but still struggling, with my energy levels. Been feeling a lot more light headed. Just about managed to complete a 10k today when before an 8 miler was easy

What hasnt helped matters is I'm coming down with something at the moment, sore throat, headaches & a cough.

Can giving blood lower your immune system? Why is it taking me so ling to recover when it's never been this bad before?! So frustrating!!
  • Probably because you've caught a virus. Happens to most of the population regularly image

Seriously you may have had the virus for a few weeks and now your body has recognised it and is fighting it hence the symptoms.

The easiest way to catch a virus is to mix with crowds in another part of the country where they'll have their own variations on them.

• Thanks Tony. I have started taking a supplement now and am having regular checks at docs for my iron levels so that I can go give blood again.

• MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking it maybe virus related but wasn't sure how long they can lay somewhat dormant.

My next donation will be in August but after feeling like I have from my last session im thinking of cancelling.
  • tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭

I know some people on this thread are/have considered stopping donating but please consider carrying on. If you really feel rough after donating you should speak to the doctor at the donation session - they can advise you of the best course of action. I feel strongly that more people should give blood - my wife works in the NHS as do some of our friends and it is universally acknowledged that stocks do get too low too frequently. I also try to encourage other people to think about donating if they don't do so already.

BTW - I did a "dry run" 13.4 mile run (for my half marathon at the end of the month) today (five days after my donation) - felt ok generally but it was warm and windy here in the West Midlands. Knackered at the end but done in 1hr. 48 mins so quite pleased...

• What does your wife do tony?  Where is your HM.? Brilliant time for you run.I can only dream of sub 2.00 for a half. I have a 10m coming up in Burton so am training for that.
  • The story goes that  when they brought some equipment left from previous unmanned missions back from the Moon on one of the last trips, they examined them for bacteria and viruses. Not only did they find them (lab technician had a cold) they were also able to bring them back to life. That was after three years in temperatures of between -200C or so and +200C in a fairly sterile environment.

So three and a half weeks living in a nice warm human being should be no problem.

• tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭
    Eckytump - as you asked.... she is a midwife. Very busy job but highly rewarding. Good luck for your 10miler! My HM is in Malvern on the 29th.
  • Oh yes I can imagine very stressful but yes so rewarding. Are you all prepared for your HM.
  • As Tony says please please please give blood when you can.

I used to give regularly, but have now developed a condition which means I am not allowed to and feel guilty that I hadn't given more times!

Whole blood saves lives, as does the platelets which they can extract, and you never know when you need them. (wish I had more platelets!)

A Doctor I used to work with used to suggest upping your Iron intact a few weeks before a planned session and keeping them higher for a few weeks after.- either choose and iron rich diet or take a supplement.
    This is often good advice for runners anyhow as it has been shown that after long runs (HM and longer) the Iron levels in the body drop, due to ongoing repair work!
  • Thanks for that info Mobilekat.That helps explain why my iron was low on the day of donation as I had run 10m on the Sun and then did another 10m the day before. I dont think you should feel guilty though . Im afraid it took me a personal tragedy before I got off my Bum and gave blood. I had a Son who had to have blood and platelets daily for 6 months.He didnt make it though his illness but Im so thankful that because of people like you guys who donate   he was at least given a chance.
  • tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭
    Eckytump. wrote (see)
    Oh yes I can imagine very stressful but yes so rewarding. Are you all prepared for your HM.
    I reckon so - as prepared as I will ever be. I have run HM distance at least three times so at least I know I can do it! I will also have a mini break of 4 days or so before hand.
  • tonyp2604tonyp2604 ✭✭✭

Just another thing - if anyone is considering donating - see http://www.blood.co.uk/

• I only have problems with low blood count if I try to give after a long hard session which would tie in with what mobilekat states above...........

I just take it easy for a few days afterwards................as runners are amongst the fittest people in the country ...it would be a shame if they didn't give blood just because it might mean that they re not on full power for a couple of training sessions..................just avoid giving before a race and no problems............

its amazing what they can do from just one donation of blood................