wolverhampton marathon

Comments

• Hi Vixx76

A link to last year's Marathon Results from my website:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2865380/wolverhamptoncitymarathon.pdf

I hope the link is still live for you.

Thanks guys for your kind comments about my photos.  It makes it all so wothwhile and they are really appreciated.

KInd regards.

Bryan.

• Thank you very much - I feel a bit more confident now image
  • Vixx you could almost walk a alf marathon a be within the time limit. Generally they're 4 hours or 15 minute miling! You've nothing to worry about. Just run your own race and smile image

Ste

• Cheers Steven - think I'm going for the Full though.

In for a penny n all that..... image

I could walk it and still be in before last year's last person....
  • Good image Pleased you're confident. I ain't seen last years last place times but generally they're around 7 hours (which makes me wonder why they didn't enter the BRMB walkathon instead!) So i'm sure you'll be more than fine. I cannot stress how much it's better to start slow in a marathon though. They say in a marathon that "The marathon starts at 20 miles" and it's true. Keep loads back, practise everything (inc refuelling) in advance, leave nothing to chance. Run your own race at your pace and most of all enjoy it! They also say just making the start line is half the job done! image

Sorry if you already knew some of this but just want you to enjoy it as much as possible. It's a long day! image

Ste

• I kno wit is Ste - it's either Wolvo or Robin Hood to become my 10th mara. have been trying for 2 years just to get to this total, as injuries kept knocking me back image

I shall start slow and stay slow - finishing is all that matters to me at the moment image

I have a PB of 5:33:28, but that was in Berlin in 2008. I'm guessing 6 hours as I'm on the comeback trail image
  • 10th mara thats 8 more than i've done! Now i feel well cheeky giving advice image given your seeming lack of confidence about finishing within a time limit I thought it was your 1st. Sorry!!! image
  • Don't be sorry - I can always learn from other people's experiences!

It's because I am a back of the pack runner - and moreso because of my injuries that I am nervous that they'll all have packed up and gone home! image
  • lol phew; it is like me to make an arse of myself when I have the best intentions!

What injuries hold you back? Do you do other forms of exercise like gym, swimming or cycling too?

• Gym and cycling on an exercise bike, core and flexibility work.

I've just been unlucky with various bits. This year it has been potholes (did right ankle at Lightning Run and left ankle at Thunder Run), and last year it was right side chain - lower back, then ankle, then back of knee.

Good job I'm in the fitness industry! LOL image

You haven't made an arse of yourself - I could easily have been a first timer, and technically at Wolvo I am. image
  • Oh you poor thing; sounds like you've had some horrid luck!!

I've always had knee injuries usually due to excessive use. Either runners knee or MCL (medial collateral ligament) strain. Due to marathon training. What I was going to say was cross training (I also swim cycle and gym) has been a revolution with making my body stronger than running alone but guess this advice dooesn't apply as yours are just sheer back luck!

I do my best hehe!

• For my first three marathons I had huge knee supports on both legs. Then I spent time building up the muscles in both legs and don't need the knee supports now.

For the other injuries I need shooting! LOL.
  • Yeah that's the stage I'm in now; praying that I won't need them next yesr as I swim and cycle loads. So when I run more I'll already be well built up. Got a PB to beat image

You hoping for aroud 6hrs then? Go for 5:30!! image

• I would normally but coz of the ankles, and having Robin Hood the week after I am going to be conservative as RH has a time limit of 5:45...

Cross training is great - to be honest not enough runners do cross train!
  • Fair enough then Vixx that's sensible; really hope you make it through safely. Doing 2 FM's in 2 weeks is an incredible feat and don't think I'm brave enough to try that one yet!

Yeah x-training is the way forward; I gort bored of being injured every time I marathon train so hence sourced out the bike too and so far so good! If I see you at Wolvo I'll give you a hug!! image

Ste

• I'll be the one at the back!
  • Steve,

Your definatly right x training is the way forward, no need to run loads of miles just do quality and x train, as part time athelets we all end up overtaraining. I generally run about 20-30m a week on a good wk and still do ok in a marathon and feel strong even on the odd ultra. one thing I do a lot of is race which helps keep the speed and what i call match fitness.

• Muzza; totally with you on all points made.

As I do alot of biking too this restricta my running time but as you said quality first. I still did a 7m trail run ok the other night and felt strong and my cardiovascular (CV) system feels strong. Am planning a 11.5m run on Sunday and a 13m run the week after (slow) so I'm ready for the HM the week after that. I normally taper but as I'm just trying to get through this one unscathed then I'll do what I think's best and am planning on nailing the Coventry HM instead.

Legs do feel much stronger now for running after so much cycling and swimming too and hopefully this will reduce my injuries (my knees are always my "achilles heel".) I'd say match fitness as well as you're used to that racing day feel and you get less nervous as you handle the anticipation better etc. things that you don't feel on a training run.

Steve

• I'm the opposite to you guys. No cross training, but lots of slow miles (usually pushing my daughter in her BabyJogger running buggy). 50 to 60 miles a week, week in week out.

Basically, base training all the year around. Run in a summer road league and winter XC league but they are my only tempo runs. Can knock out a 3.45 marathon on a weekly basis with relative ease and can run a sub 3.30 without too much trouble.

• I'll agree to disagree then, train less race more and x train is the way I'll stay, I do 10-15 marathons a year and of late all just under or over 3 so I'll take that, best I've ever run since I cut the miles. As long as you train the heart and lungs the legs come. Once you have done a few marathons it's all in the head, there not hard but there hard at the pace you do them.
  • If I were to be running 10-15, sub 3 hour marathons (or there abouts) I wouldn't adjust my training either! Very impressive.

Don't think that I'll ever see sub 3 hours for a marathon. My best days are behind me.

• There not all sub 3, usually most around 3-3.15.

i'm being a hipacrit here but you never know if you just had a real go and trained for one?? You never know! But then running becomes boring.
  • Managed a 3.09 in 2007(after only aiming for sub 3.15) on the old hilly Leicester course (not the current flatter one!). Could have gone closer to 3 hours - 3.05? if I had pushed things a bit harder.

Time was a little bit easier in 2007 - pre daughter!

TBH, other than a bit of personal satisfaction to say "I can/have ran a sub 3 hour marathon", nobody else really gives a flying f........

• Well there ya go it's doable, well within your range I would think, none of us are ever gonna win the Olympics so ain't personal satisfaction the only thing we got?? Give it a bash, I know it's hard ya like me, just like running them all the time. So many to do and so many places to visit! image I got another 5 maybe 6 lined up this yr, there like a drug!!
  • Ho-kay! I'm in!

Entering as a last organised training run pre-JW Ultra a few weeks later. So looking forward to a decent but not hard paced run round Wolvo!

First timer for this marathon so looking forward to it as the last mara was back in May.

• I usually position myself on Codsall Road to take my photos at about 10 miles on the first lap and 23 miles on the second.

When I was running my competitive Marathons in the late 80s and early 90s I used to position  specially prepared drinks around the course.

Just a thought.  I could make a table available alongside me, that could hold drinks which you could collect as you pass.

I did the Helsinki a few years ago with a Welsh friend and we did just this and marked them with a small Welsh Dragon flag.  They made all the difference.

I am usually on the field by the finish area until about 8.30am, I then have to leave to take up my position to photograh the cyclists who start at 9.05am.

Regards.

Bryan.

• Morning All,

Just coming on to wish all the full marathoners the best of British, hope the weather is good.

Only doing the half this year - due to illness/injury have had a crap 12 months.

Bryan - As always a big thankyou for giving up your time.

Jules - May see you at the start.

• First-time marathoner here.  Travelling up from Berks on Saturday for this one.  Am looking for a 6min 40sec mile pacer{s} to have a crack at my club's 45-49 age record of 2:54:55.

I know it's probably going to get very spread out quite quickly as there's only around 400 runners involved, and would prefer to be chasing down someone rather than going solo.

Anyone looking to do similar pacing?image

• @luvsapb, looking at last years results theres about 1200 runners with only around 300 doing the full , so i think the first lap should be ok with second being a bit lonesome

For me this will be my first ever running race and i am doing the full marathon so its all going to be new to me. I'm aiming for around 8min miles so me thinks you will be a bit quick for me

I have actually just came back from a 50 mile road bike ride and rode most of the route just to check it out, seems ok though