Options

wolverhampton marathon

Comments

• Options
    You will be fine David, it's just another long run! Adrenaline will get you through!

Luvsapb, yeah injuries are frustrating but usually a sign of weakness! I find the best x training tool for running is the ski machine or spin bike. Breaks up the boredom a bit as well!

Marc, I looked into marathon maniacs but seemed a lot of cash for nothing really! As for brussells you finish in a square about 2 mikes from the startline which u run through at 24 miles, then the baggage us about a mile up the rd, depending on your finish time it will be mad!!! People everywhere and nothing past the finshline was closed off. Lots of food and drink there, nice medal and t shirt but very hustle bustle. Try and Suss it out more b4 u go coz it may well have changed in the last 2 years, 2009 I did it.

You guys should check out a free podcast called marathon talk it's great! Lots if great info, u got 84 episodes to catch up on!!

• Options
    Good luck to everyone running tomorrow!  I hope you're all happy with your results.  Just hope it's not too hot or too wet! image
  • Options
    Always had fairly decent weather for this every year I've done it - I only do the half here, even when I was running lots of marathons I couldn't face two laps of Wolverhampton's outskirts. Yet to be fair the changes to the course last year (or was it the year before) make this a much nicer course to run - even twice.

I'm running tomorrow with the poster here Tarmac Runner who has had a broken ankle but is still fitter than me - I'm seriously worried, the furthest I've ran since march is 11 miles, I was doing the Rhayder 20 with an injury and barely finished. I dropped out of the stratford marathon and took a long break.

Now I have to get round this in one piece!
  • Options

Good luck folks. My second year doing the full. Did the half in 2009.

Does your head in going round twice.....but just stay strong! image

My second marathon of the week. Did Gin Pit on Monday......So hope the legs come out to play! image

Hi Bryan Dale. xxx image Your pics are the business.

Barry Fan. (Ria)

• Options
    All the best everyone!!hope all our bodies hold up!! image
  • Options
    good run even after two laps. I was expecting more rain but it held off. Got a time of 3hr 43min a good training run for snowdon marathon. Well done all.
  • Options
    Well i survived my first ever race and marathon, managed a 3.53 so I'm pretty happy.

i learnt quite a few things today about myself and the prep i need to do for another marathon so I'm quite happy with the result.

great day, lots of support and the volunteers and organisation were brill.

i can't walk now though lol
  • Options

Having not done this before but the Half being on my wishlist as a born and bred Wulfrunian I have to say it's a bit of a strange event this one.

Timewise I was slightly disappointed as 3 mins + slower than my last half but looking at other times and my age placing clearly not a bad run.

General observations:

As a mid sized event 900 did half and 200+ (I think) the full it lacks the atmosphere of the big city events but also some of the charm of smaller (half) marathons which often have better changing facilities, Droitwich being a case in point.

Start is a bit of a mess. Fairly narrow road with today at least, a fair number of cyclists pushing through the already assembled runners to get to their start. I didn't see any accidents but a definite issue. I can't understand why the start can't be in the park.

A very twisty course, especially the first 7/8 miles. We went through a lot of cul-de-sacs with pathways, grass verges and underpasses as only rights of way. No hills to speak of although the 10 mile incline to the Rock at Tettenhall is a bit of an irritant. Too twisty for a PB but I would say not tough by any means.

Not sure why the course doesn't go through more of the bporough of Wolverhampton. i think a lot of the course was actually in Staffs. Maybe more scenic but does nothing to maximise spectator numbers or make it seem like a big event. Any scope for finishing at Molineux a la the Reading Half at the Madejski or possibly in the pedestrianised City Centre.

I would do Wolves again but it won't be an automatic fixture for me. I think it needs to decide what it is really. Is it a big city marathon or a multi-event day out? I am not sure the cycling and relay aspects do much for the event as a marathon/half marathon. In closing it's important to say that signage/marshals etc were very good.     

• Options
    Well done on those full times - good luck for Snowdon , I did it in 2009 and it rained torrential. They reckon this year it should be fine weather given how the cycles work - several bad weather years then a good one!

My first run over 11 miles since march and I enjoyed it even if I took 2:04 for the half, I had the wind but not the legs.

Still I enjoyed it and it's the road to better fitness - I have entered the Brum Half this afternoon, had to do it having done it every year.
  • Options
    Rob weaver3 - the thing is it's been changed several times to make the start easier. The course itself was changed a few years ago - the problem with it going into Wolverhampton itself is the road closures that would be needed, it would grid lock Wolverhampton for hours. Local business would never agree to it.

I reckon it's the best it can be given how long it's been going on and tweaked over the years.
  • Options
    Well done all! As always it was as well organised as we can ask! I like this event lots going on and my lad and gf did there 1st half marathons!! Both enjoyed it!!

It was a tough day in the office for me but I made it through injury free I think! Nice to meet a few if you on route!

• Options

My first mara in a time of 3:00hrs, so gotta be happy with that!  Might have gone a bit quicker but the legs turned to porridge at mile 16, & I had to dig really deep to keep going for the last 10 miles. More training req?

Hope everyone enjoyed the day & got near a time that they wanted.  Nice meeting you Ian & Muzza. Muzza,  you burned past me in the latter stages!image  Think you got the time you were after? 

Will make sure to look up all the times when they get put on the website.

Cheers

Kevin 

• Options

Results and first 60 photo's are now on West Midlands Running Scene

I took about 1600 photo's, so will take a few days to upload them all.

• Options
    Kevin, I'll take that on that course, up/down/twist/turn not easy but not boring! U did good for 1st marathon so big pat on back, learn from it and smash 3 next time! Race more learn about yourself! U did good!
  • Options

Snap Brian.  image

Same number of photos.  Same Results.

Uploaded 300 photos from the 19.4 k Cycle Race which was the first event.  Back to it tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who is supporting Racephotos, over 1,000 hits in the past few hours.

Well done everyone.

Bryan,
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Options

Great organising, and nice and relaxed at the start. Lovely to amble up to the line instead of all the pushing/shoving at more famous events.

A definate hats off to the Wolverhampton Marshalls/helpers/St. Johns...as enthusiastic a bunch as I've ever seen. 

With all the well-stocked bottled water stations, easy parking and (small, but very) enthusiastic crowd....will definately give it another go next year!

Cheers 

• Options

First time at Wolves and really enjoyed it (half marathon), managed to set a PB to my astonishment - was up at 3am yesterday coughing my guts up after a 10-day head cold! The field was smaller than I'd expected but that did mean I could take up a reasonable starting position even after a very last-minute Portaloo visit...

Will definitely be back next year and will consider the full distance but not sure I would enjoy the two-lap format. A big thanks to all those involved with organisation yesterday.

• Options

Hi Bryan. Good day out yesterday, the hard work starts now getting these photo's up on site.

Didn't see our friend yesterday, but there were "Official Photographers" on the line earning their money. They don't do ir FREE like we do, do they ? 

I can't get a link on their website, so this is the only way I can get runners to know how to access my photo's.

See you around,

• Options
    Thanks for your hard work Brian and Bryanimage
  • Options
    another enjoyable half. its a shame the organisers dont make this into just a half and change the route to go down the stafford road. im sure theyd get much larger numbers then. Its a smallish event with alot of support and sponsors
  • Options

Bryan,

Thanks for the water table at 23 miles... good idea and next year I'll look to stash something stronger! Good to chat before the event and look forward to the photos again.

Ta for the effort you make, hope you enjoyed it all.

See you at Macc if i'm there.

Take care.

Nor

(2479 - 3hrs 07 ... next year much quicker!?)

• Options

How come all the best photographers are named Brian !

• Options
    I did the half on Sunday.  I enjoyed the race and got a PB of 1:41:09.  My only gripe was the parking.  I ended up parking on a Asian resteraunts car park.  May do it again but not a defo in my calender.
  • Options

There is an awesome photographer named Bryan who has took and downloaded 1600 photos of all the Carver events 2011. You can download them for free & they are superb quality. He will even email you hi-resolution copies for free!

Here is the link:
    http://www.racephotos.org.uk/

I have no idea why this link is not included on The Carver Website as participants might not ever get to see these quality pictures. Carver if you are listening please include him next year!!!!

Really enjoyed the cycle event, well marshalled & a really nice atmosphere.
    Shall be there again next year!

• Options

Just a quick thanks to Bryan at racephotos.org.uk

He hadn't even finish up-loading the pics and he sent me a good high-res image via email, for free!! - cheers again!

• Options

Great pics as always Guys! Next time can you shout, open eyes, breath in and smile please!! image

Well done and thankyou!

• Options
    Great event yet again. Special thanks to Bryan Dale for taking some amazing photos to download - free of charge too!! Cheers Bryan www.racephotos.org.uk
  • Options

Agree with what everyone has said before, the photos are really fab!  Looking at me at the end I do look completely knackered!

I haven't done any recovery runs yet, the legs are still not 100% right.  Funny how I can do a couple of 20 mile races & feel ok next day, but stick an extra 10k on the end, & I'm ready for a mobility scooter!  

• Options
    Great photo's Brian. Great service. Thank you.