Mental illness and running

Comments

• Sorry to hear of your troubles this evening LR. Not much I can say really apart from being here. Don't beat yourself up about it (easy for me to say, I do exactly the same) - can you get out over the weekend, even if only for a jog? Have a good weekend anyway.

• That's one advantage with the orienteering in that, apart from the bigger events, I can just turn up when I feel like it and enter on the day - and I tend not to do many major events these days.  My guess is that road running is much more geared towards advance entries in some cases where a race is likely to reach it's entry limit and also for the tendency to have a goody bag / race momento so needing to know how many they need on the day.  I really think this is not really necessary for smaller events and it would be preferable if you could just roll up on the day to smaller races that are in no danger of being full. 

My next possible one is on July 14th with a closing date of July 7th so I have to decide in that time whether to go for it or not.

Hopefully will get out for a run with the orienteering group in the morning to help get the frustration out of my system.  In the meantime - a bottle of wine will have to do!

• How'd the weekend go LR? I timed at my local Parkrun, it was good to see the front runners coming towards me instead of flying off into the distance!! Beginning to come to terms with the depression causing my problems rather than my problems causing the depression - although they probably don't help.

Going for a short (2 miles or so) run later, the first since my op, we'll see how that goes image

• I made it to the Saturday morning run OK.  Went OK so I'm glad I did it.  Only trouble is with it being first thing in the morning I didn't feel up to anything much for the rest of the day.  Felt much the same on Sunday.  I certainly needed a quiet weekend after a hectic time recently.  It is just frustrating that I seem to need the spare time I get for recovering from other pressures.

Still haven't made it to a Parkrun.  Will have to fit that in sometime.

Hope your run went OK, Grimfoot.

• Oh and got a run in tonight with my work colleague.  First time we've done that in a while.  About 30 minutes running.  Just right without tiring me out too much - and hopefully will help me get back to the running club tomorrow night.

• Made it out with the running club tonight and I would say it went a bit better than my last couple of runs with the club.  Quite a bit of off road again but it was only one particularly rough bit that had me walking for a minute or two. 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done LR. I think it helps that the evenings are light so runs can be more off road. I went swimming for the first time in 2 weeks, ooh how I notice a lack of practice shows up in swimming but nowhere near as much if you skip a few runs.

• Getting twitchy now, after the run I mentioned earlier I had some discomfort and haven't been out since. It really isn't helping not being able to run, I can feel myself sinking back into the abyss and I can't see any way out at present. I tried walking at speed - the legs and lungs were fine - but had some discomfort at the op site. I suppose I'm trying to say that running is something that I know will help but I can't physically do it. I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to lapse back into virtual agoraphobia again if I don't get out soon image

• (((((Grimfoot)))))

I got out with the running club tonight but found it really hard going and had to pull out half way round - which fortunately wasn't too far away from the start point.  A shame as last week's run went OK.  I think the stress of last weekend plus today a large amount of time spent in a car with work colleagues left me in bad shape for it.

• sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

Grimfoot -

Sorry to hear you're struggling but be patient with the hernia repair, I remember mine aching for sometime after and I'd hate to think of you doing any damage. Do you go to a gym at all? as I'm struggling to run at the moment I've started doing Pilates and something called Body Balance, it still means I get out, meet people and exercise and it's good for the flexibility, I'm finding years of Football and Running have taken their toll on my core!!

• Morning all

i'mmmm baaaaaaack

what't shaking?

• Went back to work on Monday, called to see the boss and told if I was off for any length of time again I'd be out - felt really supported. Next day told that I was going to have a lesson observation which didn't go too well. Yesterday, snapped my achilles tendon so I'm now in plaster. Mood isnt' too bad at present but that'll be due to the 60mg of codeine every 4 hours that I'm on for the pain. Despite that, I' ve had a few times in the last 24 hours when I've felt the walls closing in - just when I could do with a run. Lord alone knows when I'll get out again - if ever - but I'm not going to give in easily. Running is too important to me  for that, its the one thing that is almost guaranteed to make me feel better (outside my family) and having recaptured the good feelings at those times when I could go out, I don't want to face never having them again. The half marathon is already out of the question, Brighton next spring might be possible but I'm already half resigned to that not happening. I don't know who I've upset but enough already!!

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

(((Grimfoot)))

• sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

Grimfoot-

can only imagine how you must feel!

This might not help but whenever I've felt like the world's against me I try and notice anything that goes well or is positive and look to better times ahead and take any bit of support or comfort that is offered. At least your op site will have time to heal properly, can you still stretch and keep your muscles flexible or excercise your upper body at all?

Never surrender!

Good luck mate

• Bings back!  How you doing Bricki? Good to hear frIom you.

I'm just catching up with things. Working full time now so not much internet time. But its going well so far. Will read back and be back later. 

Never surrender -thats a good positive phrase. image

• Just noticed there's been some updates here.  My e-mail notification has let me down again.

"Never surrender" - also a very good song by Saxon.

Bad news there, Grimfoot.  It's certainly a long road back but it'll be a case of one step at a time.

All sorts going on here at the moment.  No progress with getting further appointments, but at least I've got a holiday to look forward to next week.  I need it.

How's everyone else?

• Hi everyone I've only just noticed this thread. Popped back on here for some injury advice.

Can I join your support group?

ive had some issues with depression for a while now. Excaerbated by PND a couple of years ago but I am still struggling. I take velafaxine but have been on fluoxetine and citalopram prior to this. I've also done a course of counselling as I have a general anxiety disorder.

im struggling at the moment as I tore my calf 4w ago and can't run presently. It has been horrendous not running. 

Anyway - a question for you all:

If you can't run and you see someone else running, is it 'normal' to feel extreme rage towards them?! Or is that just me? Saw a runner this evening and now feel incredibly peed off image 

Thx for reading and hope you're all going ok

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Soupy, good to hear the new job is OK.

Newmummy, I don't feel rage if I see a runner when I am injured just a pee'd off feeling; then I tell myself that soon I will be like them and running again, even if its not at the super speedy speed that they were doing. Can you walk or cycle at present as an alternative to running?

• Hey new mummy sometimes I feel very jealous of runners when im benched I try to turn it round into motivation to get out there when I'm fit .... A wise someone or other once told me that no emotion is bad or wrong, it just is, the important thing is whether you hold on to it and how you react/what you do. The immediate internal response is your trigger to think about who you are and what you believe and to act and interpret accordingly. Feeling momentary rage is fine, just don't punch the poor  or let it ruin your day 

• PS. I'm baaaaaaack too image 

• Hi SOLB, you're back! image

With you on the rage there NM.  I have a real problem whenever I see anyone just out there running effortlessly.  I probably wouldn't go so far as to call it 'severe rage' though.

Just finished work for the week and off on holiday tomorrow afternoon.  Lots to do between now and then though.

• sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

Welcome aboard newmummy- Agree with Solb, I think there's nothing wrong with what you feel, it's how you react to it.I know it's easier said than done but try not to hold on to the feeling, just acknowledge it and let it go. I get jealous and also inspired by seing other people run, and also it fills me with sadness if, as is the case at the moment I'm struggling to run well, although that also spurs me on to get fit.

Good luck with the injury and I hope things get better for you, how are you treating you calf. 

• Hi guys,

I suffer from an anxiety disorder and have been taking medication for 10 years of varying doses. It has been at a managable level some of the time and a life stopping cant leave the house level for periods of time as well.

I started running for the first time in January, I have now come off of my medication and am stable for the first time in a decade, did running play a part? I think so I feel much better with regular exercise.  Time will tell if this is a long term period of stability image

Simon

• Oooo, just noticed this thread. Great one.

I have schizophrenia and have been in and out of hospital all my adult life. Had a really bad spell last year and it made me take stock of life. I thought I would take up running, as I had heard that it was good for mental health and, shazam!, it really is.

I run regularly now and think of it as another form of medication. It feels like it gives my mind "time off" from all the craziness. Don't worry too much about competing or PBs etc, but just enjoy the experience of being out and about. Keeps me feeling positive and friends have said what a difference they can see.

Take care everybody and, er, keep on running image

p.s. If you're racing (especially 10kms around the Midlands and Home Counties at the moment) and see a hot babe (natch) sporting a MIND running vest and pink framed glasses, that's me! I am trying to run a 10km race in every county in England this year to raise money for the charity. It's going well so far.

• Hi UKV and SM4.  Glad to hear the running is bringing positive results for you.

I've just returned from a week's holiday.  Had a really good time - just the one down side being that I'm just not in any fit state physically or mentally to take on the week's orienteering that I went for.  All this meant was that I completely missed two of the events, retired from two and completed the other two OK.

I've decided I've really got to take it all back to basics.  I just can't face going out running on my own and running with the running clubs involves having to be out for a full hour.  There is a beginners group on a Monday nights for people trying to get up to running 5k so I intend to use that as a starting point to try and get out there again.  I'm supposed to be leading a couple of runs for the running club in about three weeks time so this is my last chance to try to make that commitment.  If I can't do it, they would at least understand my reasons - but I do really want to make it if I possibly can.  My target for this year was to do a half marathon but right now getting back to running a 10k has become a difficult target.  I've had so many setbacks this year I find it difficult to believe that I can ever do it again. 

• SOLB wrote (see)
    I've seen the odd post floating about about how therapeutic running is or asking if anyone knows how to overcome problems caused by medication/depression/motivation etc. I thought it would be nice to pull it all together in one place so we don't have to feel guilty about posting. I've sort of 'come out' as a person with mental health problems on the site ... although that wasn't really my intention. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/fundraising/running-to-escape-the-voices---running-the-marathon-to-help-others-escape-too/6415.html I hope people will use this thread, and that we can support each other to run.

I've also suffered with mental health issues, running was a great way to get over this, it helped me get back to my old confident, happy, dedicated self, I only started the running to get out and enjoy the peace and being on my own but now joined a running club and run 5-6 times a week and race regularly running has saved my life 

• Good to hear the running has helped, GB2.  I'm just so frustrated tonight.  I've really lost all confidence in running so I went to venture out with a beginners group.  I got there at the right time and place but nobody was around.  I e-mailed the guy who confirmed the details were correct - so I really don't know where they were.  It is out on the common so although it was next to a building there certainly wasn't anyone about.  He says he'll look out for me next week though.  Really felt this was my last chance if I'm to have any chance to lead the runs I'm supposed to be doing though.

• I've only just noticed this thread also and I think this is great. Talking about it in the open and having people to talk about it too also really helps. I suffer with anxiety, depression and low confidence and I was taking tablets for it but decided I would try and do things to help myself. It has helped that my ex bf who didnt understand me who told me to pull myself together is not in my life anymore! I since took up running and found that it really does help with confidence and self esteem especially when uve just finished a race and u feel a sense of self worth. Recently I have been ill with flu so have not been able to run for over 2 weeks which has been frustrating and I can feel myself go down a path of negativity that I dont want to go down....but will hopefully be back on it next week! Anyway, im not ashamed to admit that I have good days and bad days in my mind and to be able to share these thoughts with like minded people will truly help! Thanks.

• Good to hear from you, Rachel, and hope you're up and running again soon.  The rest of my week didn't go too much better - apart from Thursday.  I went to attend the running club on Tuesday but couldn't face it.  Wednesday I went to meet with another beginners group again but again nobody was there.  Thursday was a bit of a better day and I did make it to the running club.  There was the reassuring offer of a six mile run with the option of a shorter route.  The shorter route turned out to five and a half miles so that's what I ended up doing.  I was really nervous so I really felt the effects of it afterwards.  Good to have done it though.  My next opportunity to get out is tomorrow night again.  If I could just get a point where I could get out running on my own again it would help me more - but I still feel a long way off that.

• sb67sb67 ✭✭✭

I got to get some blood test results tomorrow to check my ferritin levels and if they're ok then find out what could be causing these muscle twitches I'm still getting. I'm able to got to the gym and do circuits, RPM, bodypump etc but I'm missing running. I think I might be getting a bit of a mental block getting back to what I used to do, as logic tells me if I can do an hours circuit I should be able to run for an hour! It's really frustrating!!. I'm envious every time I see someone running!!

Hope you get running again soon Rachel T2. Lincoln Runner, good luck tomorrow night, whats keeping you from running on your own?