Mental illness and running

Comments

• You eat the worm first Ben-o!

Fab news on the PB darling, no wonder you are pleased with that! image Yay
  • I probably would eat a worm, particularly if I'd convinced myself that Bear Grylls would do it. There are plenty of other things that I anxiously avoid. image

• image bang goes my witty retort. Round one goes to Ben-o!
  • It's not a competition SOLB! I was just trying to show that we all have different things we avoid or freak out about. Dirt and mess is not (and probably never will be) one for me, but I am a boy and we are disgusting! image

You just need to know which buttons to push (or not).

• Is this where we go back to discussing your outy?

I conceed not ALL boys are disgusting.

I'd better get to bed, I'm trying to drag some order into my world and midnight is officially bed time.

Night bear, sorry I lost you in an xpost

Well done again on the PB Beno

*yawns*

Night by eck

Night and thanks for the support everyone image

• Haha, my outy is a winner!

Thanks SOLB, sleep well.

• Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)
    *Frodo* wrote (see)

I just hope no one here is put off posting by someone being inappropriate and rude (just my opinion image )

Signed Frodo - long time lurker, occasional contributor.  

+1  Signed USB, occasional lurker

Another +1 just popping through the thread with a broom to make sure the nasty trolls are swept out and the place is clean and spangly for the day.

• *Puts on sunglasses* Ooo shiny

• Well .... if you are making breakfast.......
  • Oooh KK....I could SO do with one of those! Might have to venture out the house to find one. It is POURING here! Today is a good day.

• I have JUST realised I have no waterproof coat (or indeed a coat of any sort) or brella. I may have to venture to Trago and find a nice and cheap coat. That's how I roll...

• LOL...It is one of the places I miss...until I go back there!

• I'm on my way to a county fair in the pouring rain. Bound to be bacon baps and stuff there will bring some back for you all.

Ooo kk, a party. I wanna come.

I've been very social over the weekend not like me at all. Only one didnt work out the others have been tough but fun. Kinda lookin forward to real life starting again image
  • Oooh thank you SOLB...very glad you have had a good couple of days...hope it gets easier for you! Have fun at the fair!

• Dear troll,

Would you consider a thread on blisters self indulgent, or itbs, or stress fractures? How about people with diabetes or asthma who run? No? Because they are running related or affect how you can run?

1 in 4 people are affected by mental health issues at some point in their lives. For some of them it is a fairly short period in their lives. Other people face it every single day of their lives. The impact on them and how they feel about themselves doesn't vary much.

I'll stick my head above the parapet and say I spent 2 months in a mental health unit with my baby son cos people like you made me so scared to admit that having extreme flashbacks, not eating and trying to take 400 paracetemol and a whole bunch of other drugs is not the way most people feel but is a fairly normal response given what we went through.

I got given drugs to numb the pain but it's only in the last few months that I've started to feel well.

These people have courage and strength that society tends to dismiss cos they are proud to acknowledge the demons they battle. I'm proud to call them my friends.
  • by 'eck, it's hilly wrote (see)
    Dear troll,
    Would you consider a thread on blisters self indulgent, or itbs, or stress fractures? How about people with diabetes or asthma who run? No? Because they are running related or affect how you can run?
    1 in 4 people are affected by mental health issues at some point in their lives. For some of them it is a fairly short period in their lives. Other people face it every single day of their lives. The impact on them and how they feel about themselves doesn't vary much.
    I'll stick my head above the parapet and say I spent 2 months in a mental health unit with my baby son cos people like you made me so scared to admit that having extreme flashbacks, not eating and trying to take 400 paracetemol and a whole bunch of other drugs is not the way most people feel but is a fairly normal response given what we went through.
    I got given drugs to numb the pain but it's only in the last few months that I've started to feel well.
    These people have courage and strength that society tends to dismiss cos they are proud to acknowledge the demons they battle. I'm proud to call them my friends.

<delurks> bravo by eck, well said.

• Misseditlast night but

+1 from me too image

• suppose I'd better introduce myself.

I am an olde Dragon from Wales. 

I'm a CPN and a deputy manager of a CMHT

I've also had mental health problems, the depression I see as black dogs who wait at the gates taking any opportunity they can get to invade my thoughts and feelings. Fortunately, for the most part I manage to stave them off. Sometime, for a while they gain the upper hand, but not so much that they stop me functioning and make me feel that death is more desirable than that awful pit.

I don't like to say much on  here because I am genuinely interested in how people see us professionals and how we can make the experience of having treatment at our hands more bearable. 

You are all doing an incredible job on here and are doubtless helping people who read but don't contribute - in my opinion and experience, the figure is more, much more than 1 in 4.

• *gives by 'eck a big cuddle* you rock.

Hi Dragon - hope you are ok today xx

• TownerTowner ✭✭✭

another lurker popping in to say "well said" By 'Eck...image

• mima duck - I'm fine the darkest hour(s) of my life were many years ago.

• TownerTowner ✭✭✭

Ok....*deep breath*...ive had mental health problems recently, (dont want to open up at the moment)...but reading this thread has been truly helpful and inspiring.

i'll be back at some point....image

• Hi Towner, hello Ye Olde Dragon.

Here's an outside the box idea, the fact that the troll has increased the posts and people saying hello is a good thing. There's a fine line between genius and twatness! (I know which side I fall!) image

I like Sociable SOLB, particularly if it's a recurrent series!

You're awesome By Eck.

• Actually on reflection, I think the response from people reading this thread says more about us than any troll. We're stronger together, supporting each other than criticising from the sidelines.

Peace and love,

• To everyone who has posted and all the lurkers out there, hello!

SOLB, how are you today?
  • @solb

dont know if you have already listened to this but there was an interesting programme yesterday on Radio 4, Jon Ronson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010mrsk

insert links doesn't seem to work...