Options

Rome 2012

Comments

• Options

Morning all

I've had an email to confirm my entry, so just need to wait for bib no. then I can download the official letter - yeah.

Very hot here now, training is hard, but just read the RW magazine (first one arrived in the post) and it's all about the marathon de sable....ouch ouch ouch.  Puts my running in this heat in the shade, so I will stop moaning.

Had a week off as we popped to the Med for a few days, that was nice, but yesterdays 5k seemed like many many K's..... image.  Will be out again tomorrow and then Friday as they are cooler days.

Happy week and happy safe running.

• Options

Hiya Onetit,

Yep, got the same e-mail this morning too!! That's a weight off my mind, I can tell you...

I've now moved from 'silly number of races' season (10 races in June - including setting new PBs for both 5k & 10k on consecutive days) to a more structured training period with a handful of races thrown in for good measure. July sees a return for the dreaded 'monster hill rep session', mid-week runs up to 13 miles, weekend long runs of 20-22 miles, plus 5k, 10k, & half-marathon races, plus a fell race too... I'm determined to either break the 3 hour barrier at the Wolverhampton Marathon in September or break myself trying...

I'd kind of like to try & be among the first 10 brits to finish Rome next year...

http://images.bcdb.com/pictures/warner/ltmm/roman_legion.jpg

• Options

Oh wow, speedy you.  I hope to just be a Brit to finish...lol

I'm off out in a mo, it's a cool day today - at the moment, so am making the most of it and hope to get 13k under the trainers.  Sadly lacking in races over here, but I get out as much as I can and now and again, when very brave, attempt a hill or two...

Keep it up and fingers crossed for that very quick time - Boston next?

• Options

well, that was a pathetic 10k, not quite my worst, but 2 seconds off it...! hey ho.  feeling very sluggish, so will have to look at my menus again.

back to slow training again ;-(

• Options

bought myself some new socks, shorts (Paula type ha ha) and two bra-tops today, so have registered for a half marathon in September, gone to my head...!!

The sight of me in short shorts doesn't bear thinking about, just as well I live in the middle of no where and hardly ever see anyone.....

had a good 5k this morning, felt good, will try for a longer than 10k tomorrow morning in the new kit...yeah

• Options

Three 10K races in four days; the first being a 10K(ish) fell race this evening. It's pouring with rain here in Bristol, so rest assured that that will mean thta there's plenty of mud for me to charge around in...

Tomorrows race is also a 10K, but on an undulating path; which turns into a swamp after heavy rain...

Thankfully, Sundays race is mainly on road; although we do hit the trails for part of it. And when I've finished racing that one then I'll be hopping into the car & belting up the motorway to watch the Diamond League Athletics in Birmingham. I'll be sat in the section with very little cover...

Next week: trench foot.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2559/3709976135_2d4f9b9e45.jpg

• Options

ooh sounds very damp........perhaps you could send some rain over for us? 

Bristol is nice, got rellies who live there, hubby's family come from Clifton.  In fact we had a couple staying from there a month ago, works for aerospace.

Good luck and perhaps invest in running wellies? image

• Options

Hello everyone, how's the week been for you?

I've been a lazy so and so really.,  Managed three runs I think.  Got stung by a wasp so have a right hand like a bunch of bananas and took a anti hist pill yesterday and knocked myself out, so am still sore and feeling really sluggish now.

Will get out tomorrow as it's meant to be cool and drizzly...yeah.

off to UK on Thursday so had better get some KM's before I go as that's going to take its toll on my liver and waitstline..... image

• Options

Hiya solitary-boob!!!

This weeks been okay(ish) training wise and, with one exception, managed to hit all this weeks training schedule targets:  nailed my hill session on Tuesday (15x 2min efforts); raced a 5k on Wednesday & missed my PB by ONE second; Thursday, instead of putting in a steady 10 miles, I put in a brisk 5 miler over to my running club then put in a very easy 4.5 with the beginners group; and on Friday I did a brilliant easy 6 mile off-road loop around Kelston near Bath Racecourse. It's a rest day today, but tomorrow is long run day & I'm determined to put in a very wet & muddy run along the river path from Bristol towards Bath for 11 miles before turning around & heading back home...  

• Options

My word, I'm sweating just reading that lot.  I'm having a quiet evening, up early and running 15k to meet hubby down in the village and a lift back UP the very very steep hill, that NO I'm not even gonna try..!

I like the solitary boob by the way.... image

• Options

How's everyones training going?

I'm just about 4 1/2 weeks away from the Wolverhampton Marathon now and training seems to be going okay. I'm hitting my targets even in this heat (including a sub-85 half marathon), still racing different distances & terrains like a loon, and making sure that I'm well fed, well rested, and focussed.

Once Wolverhampton is out of the way I can start to focus on a few half marathons & the upcoming cross country season before I start training for Roma...

http://www.shabelle.net/uploads/9258-full-so.jpg

• Options

I like your photos WB.  Well done on all your training.  I've been a slug lately I have to admit, have been out only twice in the last week, but did 22K on Sunday, and 5 on Tuesday.  So feel I ought to get out today/tonight.

It's hot and I can't move in the heat, so am hoping for the promised storm later.

Just been reading my RW, so it's given me some inspiration and now waiting for the two new arrivals for B&B to appear from the bedroom - no idea what they are up to in there, and then I can get out for my run.

Am entering a 1/2 at the beg. of Sept in Montauban, so that should be good - I hope - and flat...!  image

have been reading about New York - so tempted to go there, but it will be next November and I'm not even sure it's one to get into easily these days?  Ideas?

Right, off to change and hopefully get out for a nice 10k shortly.

• Options
    Hello everyone

Less than 7 weeks off from the Berlin marathon and I am injured. I have frayed muscle in my glute that has trapped a nerve. I can run but it is so slow and after about 12km it starts to really hurt.

I have been going to physio which takes a lot of effort not to scream out loud in pain.

Realistically, I think that I have 50/50 chance of it healing in time but I can't do my hilly 18 mile LSRs. If I train too hard I risk further injury - if I don't train I won't get a good time in Berlin. My husband helpfully remarked that there was always the Toulouse marathon in October...not quite the same thing.

I'm miserable and feel like a petulant teenager image

I'm looking forward to Rome though image
  • Options

hurrah, managed a hill this morning.....10k and not too bad a time 1.00.03, I did have to "trot" up the last part of the hill though, it was quicker than attempting to run, then the downhill bit was a bit of a killer , but nice to be out early before the heat today.

Rest tomorrow then my "usual" 22k on Sunday - which I think might have to be a very early start looking at the forecast. 

Hope all is okay after the physio yesterday E?

Let me know if you go for TLS!?

Kx 

• Options

Just 18 days until my next marathon & it's taper time!!! I'm not sure if that should be followed by a 'hurrah' or a 'harrumph' though...

I know it sounds strange, but I've got so into the LSR habit that I'm starting to feel 'flat'. I look at my schedule & it says '8 miles slow, approx 60mins' and my head starts telling me to tack a couple of miles onto it... I know I shouldn't, but twice lately I've found my easy 5.5 mile route readjusted and ending up closer to 8.5 miles instead. My last LSR (18 miles) is this Sunday & I have to plan a route from which I cannot deviate - then get my other half to cycle with me in order to keep me on the straight & narrow...

Next week is all about speed though (2 slow runs of 6miles each, 2 short high tempo sessions & 3 short races) before I get to the final week and begin to alternate Rest & Recovery days...

On the plus side, I have rediscovered my love of off-road running. I may be slow at it, and I know that it knackers me out, but I know that it's strength building as well as fun...

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2010-09/1285755146_rome-with-love1.jpg

• Options

Hi there, I am from the Rome Marathon - I won't absolutely enter the discussion (unless you want me to!) but I do want to you to know my direct email address, just in case you need assistance on questions you're unable to find answers to by googling around or asking fellow runners.

It's comunicazione[at]maratonadiroma.it. I am generally hot at replying.

Good luck with your training!

Ah! I'll personally be at the Berlin Marathon exhibition on Sept.22-24 (booth. # 5.011) - those who are running Berlin may meet me there. I love cheddar, by the way - but that's another story, and anyway it's not me drawing the course, so this won't spare you the mile-26-hill (even though by the time we meet in Berlin I MIGHT have interesting news about this).

Take care.

• Options
    Alessio - I am officially out of the Berlin marathon..doctor's orders image
    Had I tried to do Berlin I ran the risk of chronic injury and thus not be able to do Rome. I won't be there for you to tell us about the hill at mile 26. Any incline at that juncture of a marathon sounds like hard work!

Assuming that I recover in time, I am going to do the Nice to Cannes marathon in November in place of Berlin. Anyone else doing it? It's a goody apparently, taking the coastal road running past the iconic Carlton Hotel.
  • Options
    Elizabeth, wanna hear a funny one? I'll most likely be in Nice too - though I am not going to run it. I've heard marvels about that race, though - and I'm in the industry, my sources are reliable.

The incline at mile 26 (provided I'll have NO news to report in the future months) isn't that hard anyway. And you can see the Colosseum, which is the ideal finish line, so you'll be in an absolutely good mood. But...hey, I am getting into the discussion without even recognizing it.

(Mature Cheshire isn't bad either).
  • Options

Hello one and all

WB - how did the marathon go?

I've been sadly lacking in training, but have been on me bike as they say, thankfully sore toe is now no longer sore, so have managed a couple of 5k's and will get another one done tomorrow.  Wednesday I'm aiming for 20k, so fingers and toes! crossed.

Keep on training.

E - hope you are okay? Email me your news

Kx

• Options

Just thought I'd let you all know that I failed to creep under the 3 hour barrier in Wolverhampton yeaterday... I did, however manage a new PB - 3:04:16... Which means I now face a winter of hard training & speed work in order that I can achieve it in Roma...

Bring on the Autumnal Half Marathons & the Winter Cross Country League..!!

http://enroute.aircanada.com/app/webroot/files/images/200904/marathons_rome.jpg

• Options
    If you're running out of motivation, here's a pick-me-up - one of our galleries at http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150163885551211.334551.196761011210
  • Options

You are one speedy bloke WB.......well done, even though you sound disappointed...! image

• Options

I really like the look of that, but am just not ready for a marathon yet. Maybe 2013 !

• Options

go on, you know you want too.....!! I don't think I'm ever ready, but I just do it, albeit slowly.... image

Great fun though, and the "I'm never doing this again" thoughts that creep into my head at about 19miles, soon get left behind when I finish still standing up.

• Options

Ooh, I know that feeling 1boob...

Upon crossing the line yesterday I said to my other half "that's it. That's the last one I do to try & go sub-three. I'm only gonna run them for fun from now on..." Half an hour later she asked, "So, what time are you going to try to run Rome in?"

"No idea", I replied, "Although, I'll probably aim for 2:50" 

• Options
    i live in the US and im running this race, my first marathon ever. I looked through the Forums for the US website and couldnt find anything or anybody. I would like to know if this course is hilly..what r the challenges. I went to Italy this past Marchand had a lil bit if trouble running thru the cobblestones. Looking fwd to responses and maybe to meet some of you in Rome, cant wait!!!!
  • Options

hi there, welcome

Not done it, but heard differing tales of some inclines.....one over a flyover (road/motorway?) and the last, and most horrid, at the last mile or so to the finish, not sure how steep, if it is steep then I for one will be walking or crawling image

cobbles are everywhere I understand, but I don't think I've heard anyone say they are too bad, my roads here are bad, so i think they will be okay, Paris had it's fair share of dodgy surfaces too, so I think it won't be too bad.

Hope to meet you

Karen

• Options
    Are you traveling solo? I was there this past March, the weather was a bit chilly but not too bad. I saw some of the course, and the sights are amazing. Happy training!
  • Options

I'm going with my hubby for a weeks' holiday with the marathon in the middle....can't wait,  Must get on with some serious training now though.... Summer is over, although it's still hot here, so I long for the winter days.