Rome 2012

Comments

• Am running a 10K leg of an Ekiden (team relay) marathon in Brussels on Saturday, which will be good tempo training. Just wondering what to do about running today and tmrw. I'd initially been thinking some intervals today and a 22km mid-long run tmrw but that will definitely count against optimum speed on Saturday. Then, combined with a 32k+ run on Sunday, that might be a few too many back to back hard running days.... mmm.... so much easier following a plan than making it up as you go along.
  • Hi All

Enjoying the "build-up" to Rome and Brighton in 2012!!  Ran Henley half last Sunday and going to Cardiff this weekend.  After that into a period of building up the miles to about 18 by the end of this year.

• I think that we should have a Forum pasta party / get-together before the race...

• Hello everyone. Glad you have found us Tricky.

Wow, this thread has blossomed since I have been away in London.

I'm getting worried now....I still am unable to run and training for Rome should start soon. Fortunately, I can ride my bike without any pain whatsoever. 5 more sessions of osteopathy/kiné booked and an X-ray to see if the abductor is healing. I am damned if I am missing this marathon as well as Berlin!!

I'm up for meeting before &/or after the race.
  • We must be catching up the Paris thread now.image

22 miles on the bike today.The legs are still tired.Infact i'm tired all over.

I'm golfing tomorrow and will be getting a long run in on Saturday as i'm out on the pi55 all day Sunday,with a little matter of a Sheffield derby in the middle.I'm using the over endulgance of alcohol to get my body used to dehydration.I leave no stone unturned.

• I may just take you up on that offer Karen.But not the wearing of the shirt.I'll bring my own teams colours thank you.I've sounded my mate out about buying his cross trainer off him.He's not used it since he bought it 6 months ago.Once he's found a place to hang his clothes i can have it.
  • I can't see it William.I'm not a subscriber.

Make sure you don't rush back too soon Elizabeth.It's still a way off yet and your better getting to the start line under trained rather than carrying an injury.

• Looks like I will be joining you guys in Rome, flights and hotel now booked. Waiting for BIB number now !image
  • Little 22k run before work today. Made a big mistake on the clothing front. Thought it would be over 10C so went out in shorts, base layer and vest. And I'm not what you'd call 'chunky' by any means...

By 'eck it was cold. 3C by the time I drove to work a couple of hours later. It was a bit of a shock to the system and my body looked a shade of blue by the time I got to have a shower. But really beautiful conditions outside once the sun came up. Blue skies, mist over the lakes, dreamy.... I'm still cold though 3 hours after finishing running and I've got a vest on!!

• Hope you warm up soon Tricky! Fair play for sticking through the 22.

Elizabeth, I know how you're feeling as I haven't been able to run since Berlin but I should at least be grateful that I had the chance to run there image I first strained one of the muscles on the left hand side of my back but by overcompensating on my left side the right one has gone now..... Haven't slept well for weeks and needing to be helped out of the bed last week by my fiancee wasn't something that I had expected at the age of 26!

Not sure how long it is going to be until I can start training again but hopeful that it won't be too long and I'll be able to get a few more training sessions done outside before it gets too cold / too much snow here in Oslo.

• Sounds like you need to see an osteopath cjay. If you are badly aligned, these problems don't tend to restore themselves very quickly on their own.
  • Good advice - I am getting regular treatment from a chiropractor and masseuse at a private clinic.

It is improving but it's kind of two steps forward one step back so it is taking longer than hoped! Had some pain before Berlin and that race kind of blew the whole area up. I'm due to start some light activity next week but definately want to avoid rushing it back and causing further problems.

• 16.8 miles for me this morning in glorious sunshine.It's a wonderful autumnal day here.Miles 7 to 12 i ran along a flat path and managed to do them all around 7 min mile.I eased off after that as i was starting to struggle.I need to keep the legs moving his afternoon now.
  • Well done Howey. I ran an Ekiden marathon here in Brussels today, a 10K leg. I was starting to lap people before I got to the start/ finish area in the Heysel Stadium. I was so focused on cutting through backmarkers, I missed the guy i was handing over to and when I looked up to where I expected him to be waiting (basically, where I had started from), there was no one there at all and for a moment, i was completely lost.

Then I realised I had to run another lap of the stadium to get back to him, but as no one was expected to go on that partof the track until the end, I also had to vault a couple of crowd barriers. I felt like a right plonkah and thankfully there was only about 10,000 people there who might have noticed my stupid mistake

My watch battery was dead before I started... but my team mates said it was about 39mins... official results not available until Monday afternoon.

• Love it.Well done Tricky.Great time too.
  • Hi all, good luck in the derby match John....

Just watched the rugger, now making more tom.soup then will get out in the sunshine for a run, it's chilly, but clear blue sky, I think mid length shorts today image

Just posted (new thread) details of the 3 Rocs for May 17th, so you chap/girls who like a challenge, come on, get registered......

Am tempted to do the relay (team of two) so am going to "walk" it soon to check it out - but I know it will hurt...!!

• hello Panos, good luck with your half search, I'm sure there will be a few around that time.

Just been out for my 9k, lovely weather.....

Hopefully we can all meet up at the Marathon Village the day before?  All have to wear something distinctive - best idea wins.......

I'll go for the traditional Red Flower / Rose in lapel - not very exciting, I'm sure you will think of something more interesting than that....? 

• Cardiff Half Marathon this morning. When I entered the race I was in top form & planning to go sub-80 for the first time, however things have conspired against me since my last marathon and I've not been feeling too good as I've been suffering from more than a few aches, pains, cuts & bruises lately. So, under my revised estimation, as long as I finished under 90 minutes this morning then I would be happy.

For the first time in my life I started a race in the Elite section and when the race began I started to bang out the miles as well as I could until they started to hurt... The first 5 miles were out of the way in under 30 minutes, then I started to slow... 15 minutes to get through the next two miles, before I got a second wind & kicked on again. By the time I'd hit 11 miles I knew I had a problem - big achilles pain on the right ankle & I'd lost the feeling in my left foot... I got to the 13 mile banner - and stopped dead. People were shouting at me to get moving, that the finish was just around the corner, that I was nearly there... But the pain in my feet was killing me... So I bent down, removed my shoes & socks, felt the life suddenly flood back into both feet - and I ran the final 200m in bare feet - Abebe Bikila stylee... Finishing time? 1:26:22 Get-In!!!

• WB - that last stretch around the corner at Cardiff did seem a long way this morning.

Great run by you though!!

I enjoyed my race and was 7 mins quicker than a half I did last week - well pleased.  The last 2 miles today were very scenic along the mouth of the bay.image

• Tremendous time William.Well done.

Welcome Panos.I'm sure you'll love it.

I did the Sheffield 8 this morning .It's not a race it's getting drunk as soon as possible.i got off to a good start and managed a bottle of lager by 9.30.After that i got stuck in and managed to keep going right up to kick off.Post match i managed another before falling asleep on the bus home.

• Great time William! Capped off with a stylish finish...

Panos - Not sure what part of the country you're based in but I'm doing a half in Wokingham, near Reading, on the 19th Feb. I also know that Brighton half is the same day

• I'd vouch for the Wokingham half too - I've done it a few times and it is a great run in the country image

I've entered for 2012 too!

• Sounds like a courageous run William. Well done for sticking it through to the end and I hope you don't have any nasty consequences to deal with.
  • Howey - running is picking up thanks.  Have had a bit of an off year for a number of reasons since doing Berlin last year, but over the past few weeks I've definitely been getting my legs back.  Good 10 miles yesterday, including a fast last two, which I wouldn't have been able to do a month or so ago.

Still can't decide about entering this.  Have decided I'm definitley going to do Berlin next September, but may do a spring marathon too.  If I do, it's this one or Manchester - don't laugh, for a proud Mancunian that's not as easy a choice as it sounds! 

• Reminds me of an old Boddington's advert Omar.... by 'eck.
  • Good shout TD.

"Do you want a flake with that chuck?" image

• Rest day for me today.It's our second winter handicap race tomorrow and i want to be fresh for it.It's great for seeing how i've progressed over the last 2 years.I'm running 3 minutes quicker now over a 4 mile course and should improve on that..

Manchester or Rome Omar?Is it really a question.Get yourself on board mate.

• If you save the link from your e-mail informing you somebodys replied in your bookmark it takes you right to this thread rather than have to go through the forums.image
  • WB - Nice one and nice time, looking nice to run them times now, gives you plenty of time to get in 3 hour shape image

As for me, well, tonight was my first proper run in a feww months, 7.36 mile done and dusted and the back is fine, so, training now starts... 5 weeks of prep, then 16 weeks of total battering it... this could be my final marathon for a few years... so need to go out with a bang...

Cheers Pug image