New Forest Marathon

13»

Comments

• Crippso

I've run alot of half marathons over the years, a typical year sees me running at least 17 plus other races of varying distances and 12 league races as well, although this year has been less due to my preference to enter the longer distance races of 16 miles +.

In my opinion you should not need to carry water with you on a half marathon, so long as we don't wake up on Sunday morning to find the weather has turned and its in the 80's just 1 drinks station half way around the course and drinks at the end should be sufficient. You should of course drink enough to hydrate yourself before the race but don't go overboard, one glass of water should be good enough before the race as you don't want your stomache to sound like a water bed as you are running along.

I'm running the marathon and will be having my usual 2 weetabix (other breakfast cereals are also ok) a cuppa tea and half a pint of water before the race. I won't be carrying any water myself as experience from last years marathon tells me there are enough drinks stations on the course.

But in the end its up to you what you decide to do, us more experienced runners can only advise. 

• The simple truth is that if you carry your own water you can choose when to drink and how much. On the downside, you have to carry it however you choose to do that.

I don't bother as I find the water station en route to be enough. For this race they are plentiful, however if you need the security of your own take it.

I have a cold so my plans of a PB are on hold right at the mo. I'm not going to kill myself trying as it just won't happen. I am however going to kill the person that gave me a cold.

• Thanks guys! I think I'll leave the water bottle in the car then! One advantage of this being my first 1/2 marathon is that I stand a reasonable chance of getting a PB image Hope the cold doesnt slow you down too much imelda!
  • 2 days to go and so the self doubt creeps in .....

• My self doubts have been told to eff off!
  • My self doubts are always banished to the broom cupboard .....

just need to put one foot in front of the other a few thousand times and its the finish line in view image

One consolation ......... the weather looks like its going to be superb image

Friend of ours who lives in Lymington and is giving us a place to stay Saturday and Sunday night will be watching me set off at the start ........ his name is Gary LePort and he used to play base Guitar in his band that had a relatively unknown guy call Rod Stewart with them in the 60's. He also used to go to school with him and they were best friends, Gary has also played with other rich and famous musicians over the years so its going to be a memorable race weekend this year. image

Resting now as much as possible and getting my kit ready with a final wash and dry ready for Sunday.

• I'm with you IM on killing the person who gave me a cold too! I am going to do the marathon too but much slower than anticipated as i think it would kill me to run as i normally do!
  • You all have a good run on Sunday and see you relaxing in the pub afterwards.

Safe travels down to the New Forest

Oh, to regonise you folk please dress as your profile picture shows........

• My ears really aren't very big. image

I don't feel carp but I don't feel well. I hope all the rubbish that I'm taking will see me through, if all else fails I'll be on the red bull - watch out for the fairies though. (I tend to hallucinate on caffeine).

• Good luck for tomorrow everyone. Have a wonderful experience.
    Remember - you choose to do this so, unless you are a bit weird, you are doing it for enjoyment not for punishment!
    I wish I could be there, but I can't so I hope Kazzah makes it in my place.
    Mile 20-ish is one of my memorable stretches on this run. If you are feeling weak there - I always felt great - I hope I have left some positive vibes along the way for you to use!

Have a great day.
  • Good luck everyone

I will be travelling down from Loughborough this afternoon, looks like the weather will be good for Sunday.

I will be wearing my Help for Heroes running vest so say hi if you spot me as I'm rubbish at spotting people.

Bistern Close is my memorable part of the route as some of the houses are fantastic to see, just hope I don't have to jump out of the way of any stampeding ponies this year.

See you all Sunday ..... don't be late.

• Good luck everyone. My first marathon after 6 years training, 2 stress fractures, 3 x shin splints, 2 x hamstring pulls, 2 x calf pulls, plantar fasciitis, and periodically inflamed knee.

In shock that I've actually made it healthy to the start line so absolutely going to enjoy the day, whatever!

• Have a great race everyone.You'll spot me easily, I'll almost definately be at the back and  I'll be in green and white - green shorts, white and green NF running club top, green bandana and of course green snakeskin nail polish!

Watch out for cows!

• Good luck everyone.  It won't just be the ponies but the 600 pannaging pigs you'll have to look out for - see here.
  • been very warm down here today....im going to gauge whether to carry my own isotonic drink in the morning, but if its as warm as today i will probably opt to carry one.

On another note, doing final preps this evening i thought id check my timing chip, and try it on. Im not a small chap, and have quite large ankles, and sure enough the strap only just goes round, and grips with less than 2mm of velcro. Very worring i think as it doesnt seem enough to hold the thing in place, and with a bit of movement i can see it coming off...Anyway know can i just thread it through my laces like normal chips ? Why on earth cant they use longer straps !???
  • Karlsp,you can thread it through your laces although it'll take longer to remove at the end and the organisers do like to get them back as they get a refund which means they can give more profit to charity. You can always safety pin it to your sock instead or just post it back in the envelope afterwards.  As for drinks, I'm using Nuun tablets (electrolyte) dissolved in a little bit of water and stored in a gel bottle on my belt and then will squirt a bit of concentrate into the water given at the drinks station. THat way I don't have a big bottle to carry. Bloke is bringing Ice cold drink and jaffa cakes to Burley.

And yup, the pigs are out, pannage season started on 10th September. Bacon sarnie anyone?

• Hi there - I'm guessing it might be too late to get a reply, but just on the off-chance... I'm running the half tomorrow, but my race pack hasn't turned up after I switched from the full (did a half-iron tri a couple of weeks back so decided to give my long-suffering legs a bit of a break...) I'm picking a spare up tomorrow, but I've got no idea what facilities to expect - specifically, is there baggage storage or maybe even a shower I'll be able to use afterwards? My long-suffering wife would definitely appreciate it if the answer to the second question happens to be yes.

Very best of luck to everyone in both events - perfect day for it, by the looks of it...

• Mutton Kart_ Yes there is a baggage area.You give to the volunteers behind Station Road (the start) who put it in their furniture vans and they lay them lout in the recreation centres hall afterwards and their are plenty of showers in the  recreation centre(at finish) for you to use. I certainly will be using them!! 

Good luck!

• That's great bingo - thanks very much, and have a great race.
  • Hello, how did everyone do today? I didn't hang around to watch everyone finish as I would have liked but I just wanted to curl up in a ball. My time for the half was not great - 1:38 but it could've been a lot worse. I managed to stave off the coughing for the finish line so no one new they were running with the plague ridden. image

Limper, I am not sure on your comment - pleasure? image It doesn't feel like it, are you sure?

• FInished, at the back (ish). Enjoyed most of it. Got a whacking great blister on my little toe.

A lovely day.

• PB for me so I can't grumble!  Great day and hoping that I'll be able to walk tomorrow!  Hope you all had a good run and TL that your blister doesn't give you too much grief ... remind me again why we do it????  and IM 1.38 is a fab time even without the lurgy!!
  • 1.38 was a good time on an "interesting" course....I came in at pretty much bang on 1:40:00, and although i wasnt going flat out (4 more Halfs to run in the next 7 weeks), i did work quite hard for much of it...Crowd were great, and the masses of Jelly Babies on hand got me through to the finish...I finished 213th apparently with 1:40, so your 1:38 definitely got you in the first 200 !

Having run 1:42 at Bristol 2 weeks ago, Im well happy with todays race, as i felt much stronger, and will be pacing to take another 2 minutes off at another interesting race in Swindon in a fortnights time.

• 168th Karlsp

seems like I'll get another trophy for being old. image

Just entered the Salisbury half for 2weeks time.

• My time went completely out of the window, legs just gave up but the rest of me was doing fine.  Very disappointed.   Apart from that great crowd cheering on which helped no end.  hope everyone had a good race and are no aching too much this morning

• Hi all,

Hope everyone had a good race. I did the half in 2:09:10, ten minutes slower than last year. Set myself an ambitious target, went off too fast and paid for it in the second half. Hotter and more humid than last year and I think I preferred the original route but my excuses end there !

After I'd finished I took some photos of the marathon finishers at around 4h:15 to 4h40:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanm001/sets/72157627755705844/

Well done everyone !

Next up, the Royal Parks Half in a couple of weeks. Hopefully sub 2 hours there.

Dent Arthur Dent

• Hi Twiglet, glad you had a good race and hope your blister is OK. Thank you for the recommendations, we had a fabulous and well-earned lunch at the Cliffhanger, which I would never have found by accident. Cheers!
  • Glad to hear it Buggsie, It's a nice place up there. Blister is fine, nothing a sharp needle and a bit of tea tree oil couldn't sort out. Thanks for asking.

Just entered Hellrunner.

• Nice pics Dent Arthur Dent. I look in far less pain than i felt.
  • this was my first ever half and although i didn't get a good time, it gives me something to improve on! image