Options

Pharmalink Maidenhead Half Marathon

I've just signed up for this race and am looking forward to it already.

Being the first time that this race has been run, they are saying that everyone who runs will get to keep their number for the history of the race. I think I like this idea...

Comments

• Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

Yeah there was another thread a while back about this one and it was getting a lot of interest. 

The organisers Purple Patch are well regarded for running decent events.  I did Water of Life earlier in the year which was excellent.  I haven't signed up for this one as yet as I have Chippenham already planned but I'm seriously considering doing both.  My aim is to get a PB at Chippenham but if Maidenhead is flat as suggested then could give myself 2 shots at it.  

Keeping your number seems like a novel idea and it even changes colour on running it 5 times.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I'm considering this one also.

Having recently joined Purple Patch, I feel a duty to do as many of their races as possible!

August is looking pretty quiet on the race front so I'd have time to get in lots of good weekend training.

Never heard about this keeping your number thing?!
  • Options
    I've signed up.  I would normally be doing Headington 10K that day but this seems better.  I hope I get a 'nice' number if I'm keeping it.  Don't want a single digit one for signing up early - that just gets embarassing.  I've not seen any other races offering this, but I guess there are not so many new runs about. Wonder what happens if you do the first one and then don't run it again.
  • Options
    I guess that your number just isn't used again...
  • Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    Single digit would be great if you could add a couple of zeroes at the front, a la 007 image
  • Options

I'm in - sounds like a novel idea.  Agree with you RLTW, plodding at my speed with a low number is a bit naff.

I've done Purple Patch's Down-Tow Up-Flow and it was a great event.

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I've had a look round & there doesn't seem to be anything else close enough to do on that day so I think I'm in. I've got 2 consectutive 10 miles the weekend afterwards so it fits in quite nicely.
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

Ok entry has been completed & going out in the post tonight.

I hope I get a good number!

• Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    How's the cold K8, will it be gone by September? image
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

You joke, but it's still kicking around. It's been 3 bloody weeks today!

I've only just started running again, struggled to do a 10k last weekend & missed the race the weekend before image

St Albans half is not looking hopeful.

Now I'm doing this half, I think I might give the Down Tow Up Flow race a miss.  

• Options

Hi Guys, great to see you generating some "buzz" about the race. 

I know some of you don't want a low number but in a new twist we are going to have a silent auction for the number "1".

You email us at info@purplepatchrunning.com and say how much you are willing to pay to have the coveted number "1".  The highest bid takes the number and the sum bid by that person will go to the race charity which is The LInk Foundation.  Minimum bid is £100 as that has already been offerred.

Deadlines etc to follow and perhaps more numbers like "118" or "666" might be auctioned off as well but in the meantime - spread the word  image 

• Options

That might be popular - what's it worth  image

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭

I don't mind a low number.

Esp 7 which is my lucky number (hint hint image)

• Options
    Members first and all that  image
  • Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I like that policy!
  • Options

Perhaps allow people to choose in the order they signed up, but keep the 'specials' for charity auction.

Don't think I fancy 69

• Options
    I signed up for this one a few weeks ago and have e-mailed purple patch for a route map but they haven't come back to me, does anyone know where I can get one from?
  • Options
    Claire Mac wrote (see)

Hi Guys, great to see you generating some "buzz" about the race. 

I know some of you don't want a low number but in a new twist we are going to have a silent auction for the number "1".

You email us at info@purplepatchrunning.com and say how much you are willing to pay to have the coveted number "1".  The highest bid takes the number and the sum bid by that person will go to the race charity which is The LInk Foundation.  Minimum bid is £100 as that has already been offerred.

Deadlines etc to follow and perhaps more numbers like "118" or "666" might be auctioned off as well but in the meantime - spread the word  image 

I've had an idea regarding you auctioning off the numbers.
    You are currently auctioning #1 and have suggested that you will auction other special numbers.

Obviously there are a lot of different numbers that have special meaning to different people for one reason or another.

So, rather than opening up certain numbers for auction, why don't you offer every number for auction?

Anybody who wants a specific number should send their bid and highest bidder wins. Anybody entering could bid for three specific numbers so if they don't win their first choice, they could possibly get their second or third.

eg.

1975 - £50
    2808 - £35
    69 - £120

I think that this many generate more money for your charity as more people would potentially bid than if you only offered a handful of numbers.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's an interesting idea auctioning off the number 1....but I remember running with number 4 at a half marathon once...and it hypes the pressure on image

There were 1,000 people running, and the amount of people who give you a look of...ooh number 4 he must be fast, is quite funny.

Therefore...number 1...make sure you're fast image

• Options
    MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    The number I got of my race next weekend is 2. I'm not worried about people expecting me to be fast, I'm more worried that people think I was a bit over-zealous entering. I think the only other single digit number I've got is 4 which was for a R4L.
  • Options

I do love me a half marathon & was in search of an early September race so this will be perfect for me. Less than a hour's drive & flat as a pancake. I don't like hills too much.

I'm a glutton for punishment as my legs are still aching from a half yesterday but I desperately want to do another already.
  • Options

I'm keen to see the route for this race before entering. I see that PP's own website describes it as flat and traffic free, yet the RW page for it states "Traffic free? No" and doesn't state whether the profile is flat, undulating etc. I get the feeling that the route is not yet finalised.

Can anyone confirm the route? 

• Options

We have been pleasantly surprised by the idea of a Silent Auction for race number 1 and are now going to run the silent auction on whatever number you want. 

The process will work as follows – if you want a certain number you email info@purplepatchrunning.com stating your name, which number you would like to bid for and how much you are prepared to bid. 

The deadline for bids to be received is Friday 22nd July.  Winners will then be notified and they will have a further week to make their donation to local charity the Link Foundation.  Once the Link Foundation confirms that the bid has been received the number will be sent out and that number will be yours forever.  The top bid so far has been for £200 but for obvious reasons we cannot say what number that bid was for image.
  • Options
    runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭

How are entries going at present, are you expecting a sell out this year and if so any prediction of when you may become full for those of us who still haven't got our finger out image

• Options
    ... and can you let us know what the route is?
  • Options

+1 for the route image

Would like to try one of my long runs along part of it in preparation....

• Options
    Claire Mac wrote (see)

We have been pleasantly surprised by the idea of a Silent Auction for race number 1 and are now going to run the silent auction on whatever number you want. 

The top bid so far has been for £200 but for obvious reasons we cannot say what number that bid was for image.
    Being that (as far as I am aware) people have only been able to bid on race number 1, then wouldn't it stand to readon that the top bid is in fact for this number?
  • Options
    Another 'me please, me please' for the route! & the numbers. Haven't yet entered yet but really want to if everything goes right. Would be a lovely little half mara for me to do.
  • Options
    Has the auction idea been added to the actual race website as I didn't notice it & only found out about it by reading this thread....the deadline is looming.

Having said that I'm not very observant image

As Headington 10k has now been cancelled I'm planning on entering this race instead image