Marathon to Ultra Marathon in 6 Weeks?

Hi, I am looking to move on from completing the Edinburgh Marathon there on Sunday to taking part in a 28 miler through the Scottish Cairngorms in 6 weeks time (Larig Run). Does any have any advice on whether this is a good idea or not and if so, what would be the best way to rest initally after the Edinburgh marathon and then pick up the training once more for the big day?

Thanks

Comments

• Sounds like an excellent idea to me image 

Just make sure you recover well after Edinburgh. The training for that and then the race itself will be excellent training for the ultra. Good luck and more importantly have fun image

• Just to add, I don't know what the marathon course is like but I assume the ultra is upflat so if you have not done much hill work for the marathon then two to three weeks of hill work before the ultra would be a good idea.
  • just keep things ticking over and have a good 2-3 hour outing at the midpoint. You should find your self on great form. Good luck
  • You will be fine!  From minimal I did 8 weeks training, then a marathon, two weeks off, marathon, one week off and then an Ultra - 33 miles!

The marathons were all a build up to the Ultra.  And inbetween I did maximum of 10 mile runs to recover.

But that is still light weight compared to some of the mad chaps and ladies on here!

• Agreed - perfect timing for the Lairig Ghru.

I did the Edinburgh on Sunday as well. Very enjoyable and hope you are back training. I also love the Lairig Ghru race - probably my favourite race of all time. Low key and stunning scenery. Only one mile section at the top of the pass is technical (massive boulders). I'm giving it a miss this year I think as I've the WHW the week before. I also did the Highland fling 2 weeks after London with no adverse effects. I would concentrate on the long runs for the Lairig Ghru and get plenty of trail running in. There are no really steep hills - just one long steady grind and the paths are excellent but it is still largely off road and a long way. Other than that treat it as a more pleasant slightly longer version of a marathon and look forward to a much less chaotic finish than Edinburgh! You'd be hard pressed to realise that there was a race on in Aviemore that day even though the finish is right in the centre.

• Hi all, thanks for the advice. I took onbaord and the race went very well. Legs felt strong throughout and although tired, were not sore at the end. In fact my legs were in a lot of pain over the last 4 miles of the Edinburgh marathon, which I presume was the effect of the tarmac compared to offroading!!

To summarise the training for those interested. I had 5 weeks between races. I rested for 9 days after the Edinburgh Marathon (only swimming to keep up some fitness). I then gradually came back with the 30 to 40 minute runs over the next few weeks, building in a 1 1/2 hour run at the end of week 3 and a 2 1/2 hour run at the end of week 4 (the week before the race).

I agree with Hillheader, its an amazing run. Thinking about where you put your feet keeps your mind busy and the views are amazing. Yeah Aviemore are generally unaware a race is taking place on the day!!! : )

Oh time was 4:44 which put me in the middle of the pack result wise. They had a record entry this year. 153 compared to an average of 80 in previous years!!...so please don't tell too many other people ; )