Options

ironman lanza 2012

Comments

• Options

Have a good flight Holgs,  race well & enjoy the experience both of you (sub 6 hrs on the bike OC seeing as you've not got to worry about the runimage).   I'll be following you both online.

• Options
    Good luck guys hope it all runs smoothly!!
  • Options

Good luck to you both. Cannot wait to hear the race reports 

imageimage

• Options
    me me me me me me!

So For the first time I am injured and contemplating doing an IM.

Am I crazy?

(its 'only' an IM - but its still a long way, and the run is gonna hurt)

Where did it all go wrong?

Has the last 6 months been a total and utter waste?

Well, I entered Lanza because its Lanza, and I wanted to do well. Its a hard race, on a hard hot course, but I think I am a strong biker...

So I started 6 months ago with solid training, (thanks to Steven Lord's program/guidance)

Swimming was varied, (but I always skip sessions) but progress has been slow but steady

Biking has been great, not as many 6 hour rides as planned but I have been out just about every weekend all winter/spring. The nice winter made it easy.

Running has also been excellent, with falling heart rates, having to push to hit HR targets, and faster run test results.....

It was all going so well. I had a niggley knee, but I had that last year as well. some pain following fast/long runs, but it was hanging together

Then came my training camp. Boy was I looking forward to that....and it went really really well. I loved it

my swimming was average

My running was good

My biking was excellent

My knee flared up a bit, but hey I just ran a 42 min 10 k after 25 hrs of training

Then first run after a week at home, and after 100 yards I am almost in tears with pain and frustration.

It feels like someone has inserted a screw driver behind my knee cap when I run

So I fire up the health insurance, but it all takes an absolute age. In the mean time I still bike, but no running. As the weeks tick by, hopes of a quick fix start to fade.... I have broken myself

So.....

I have a really really solid bike.

I have discovered confidence in it, but I also need to actually do some intervals consistently and properly...image

Running has been brilliant - feeling really really solid and with great steady progression

Swimming needs work - can't wait for the olympic legacy and a decent pool to swim in. Core / functional weights work has been steady.

Its been a great solid 6 months.

The only problem is I broke badly.... for the first time in 10 years or plus.

It feels so unfair - it felt it came from nowhere......

but its my body, I am in control, and I feel its let me down, but actually I broke it by going too hard /too long / too much on my training camp

So Was the last 6 months worth it...?

Yes

I have met some great people, on camp, with elt and with the castles boys, and i have got a massive boost in confidence in my ability. I know what it is like to train (reletively) hard, and train consistently.

I really enjoyed it.

Once I fix myself, it is all still there to be rediscovered, probably next year.

So Lanza.....

Am I mad for going ahead and doing it?

Probably,

but what the hell.......

I am not going to 'do well'.

My run will be 5-6 hrs and will probably hurt... a lot.....

But I have trained for it, its my A race for the season, and I *want* to be an ironman.

Again.

I have no real idea why but that it has been my goal for 6 months.

I've done it before, but thats not the point.

I want to do this event and finish it, get the T-shirt etc.

This one feels even more special than the ones before, as its not going to be easy and will now be a real test to finish.

Would I pull out if it was not Lanza?..... probably.

But I have a holiday booked, its all paid for and what else am I gonna do on a Saturday night but run/walk 26 miles.....?

I *will* be an ironman

its not a knitting club

• Options

Warning to thoses doing Lanza this weekend.... there's a heat wave going on there and in the areas where the race is taking place there's 40C temps.

I've just got back from the islands and there's a local orange alert because of heat, there's been people being treated from heat exhaustion and even a couple of tourists out in hikes have died.

Be careful

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

OC - great post.  I think we started this IM journey around the same time?  However, you are very slightly (image) better than me!

I can totally understand your reasons for doing Lanza even carrying an injury as that is exactly what i would do.  But there is a risk as I'm sure you're aware of doing a lot more damage in the process.  You are the only one who can weigh up that risk.

You are dead right about the training and the people and experiences you have had - that's what this game is mostly sbout as the actual race is a single day amid months of training experiences.

I wish you the very best of luck and will be rooting for you ( from home) throughout the long run.  Stay strongimage

Same for you Holgs - the very best of luck.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

OC - gosh, look after the knee - hope it holds out and you can finish strong

• Options

Good luck boys   image

• Options
    Great post OC very inspiring, pretty much how I feel about my upcoming marafun, but like you I'm going to hit that start line and finish - lucky for me though I only have to do the marafun part

Good luck to both of you, take care and hydrate well, do remember that it is only a race... No heroics in the heat pls!
  • Options

Race well Holgs and OC, anyone any idea what time they start

• Options

Goodness .. I forgot, its a saturday race innit??

I think its a 0700 start (same time as UK)

WIll check a bit later

• Options
    PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    Go Pirates

Will be routing for you.
  • Options

IM Dead is having a disco

• Options

I remember that well .. a disco on the beach before breakfast  image

• Options

Pros out of the swim and on the bikes

• Options

Bella bayliss 3rd women out of the swim, her hubby leading the mens

• Options

1.9 swim time

OC 35:32

Holgs 41:29

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Go pirates... <waves pompoms>
  • Options

That the half way stage for the swim SA ??

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Weather forecast is reporting 19 degrees C at the moment with a forecast high of around 28 degrees.

• Options

I remember dancnig on the sand on the beach, not through choice but because it was so feckin hot !!

• Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

C'mon OC and Holgs   image

• Options
    IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭
    OC completed swim time - 1:11.34

Holgs completed swim time - 1:24.02
  • Options

Good going guys !  

Pretty even splits there too ... image

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Oooh forgot this was today!

Go pirates!
  • Options

OC onto the run with a clock time of just under 7:30,  just hope his knee doesn't cause too much problem for him.   Holgs through the first half of the bike as well

• Options

onto the run already..............great going.................those swim times are fast.......

go boys.......

someone please keep us informed

• Options

Just seen a pirate on the run course, couldnt make out who it was?

Go Pirates image

• Options

Must have been OC