Options

ironman lanza 2012

Comments

• Options

So where are the race reports?!  *drums fingers on table*

C'mon guys, this is no time for rest and recover, you have reports to write!! image

• Options

Congrats guys!!

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

well done both of you. image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Well done, Guys. Stunning time, OC image!

• Options

Fantastic going you two.....well done. image  Looking forward to reading those reports.

• Options
    Race report - IM lanza

Pre race - the race briefing was a bit different to the IM briefings I have been to before. ?? It was done by the race director - he's about 60+, with his white hair in a pony tail - bit of an aged hippy. ??Credit where its due though, he has been running this for 21 years.... ??It was all a bit amateurish, but on the other hand there were a few jokes, and all the info was covered. ?? Just a different style to the tutonic versions I have seen before. ??Bumped into Holgs and Philip graves at the bike checkin (just thought I would name drop the famous author Iron Holgs!)

Phil on the other hand is surprisingly short - I had the idea he was a big unit, but he's a bit of a short arse image

Again everything felt nicely chaotic, lorries reversing down the street through the gathered queues waiting for bike check in.

Elton John until 3am the night before was not ideal image
  • Options
    No idea what's going on with the ??
  • Options
    So, down to the race start in darkness, usual pfaffing to sort the bike out, then wetsuit on, bit of a warm up and then we all queued up. ??I made my back beyond the 65 mins and faster arch. ?? Hooter went and we eventually got going. Meandered down to the water, few strides in then splosh and away??

I think the narrow start worked really well- it was a relatively quiet swim, only 1 elbow to a goggle and one gentle kick to the nose image

It was generally pretty friendly though- when people bumped they generally veered away as there was room

Lovely clear water, saw some fishes. ??The only down side was the smell/ taste of diesel for 200m each lap

So out the swim, (1:11 and a bit) ??a quick shower (3 seconds!!) and off to the change tent. ??Rinsed the feet in the handily provided buckets then emptied kit on the floor, wet??suit off and kit on

Put a bike top on (eventually - as it got a bit hung up) then socks and bike shoes on. ??Forgot to check I had no sand in between the tootsies - oh well, ??out the tent, up the hill off the beach and grabbed the bike and off we went.....7:45 for T1 - it's a long transition zone image

So one of the nice things about my argon is that there are not too many of them around. Unless you are in Spain.... Dozens of the buggers. ?? Mine is prettier though image
  • Options
    So off out through town, and the gentle climbing starts more or less straight away with rollers climbing you up to Yaiza

I spent the next 2 hours trying to eat/ drink and avoid vomiting. ??I think I drank way to much sea water and things did not feel good. ??Only a little vomit down my arm though

I just tried to get the hr down from ??160 when I got on the bike, aiming for 135-145, but I think I got it down to a minimum of 149 for the next 4 hrs

So after the rollers it was a long drag down to the el gofo loop- it's really fast down there, but the pros were already heading back the other way....

Weeeee around el gofo then back up to Yaiza and over fire mountain

That looks way worse than it is.... You just see the road stretching ahead for the next ??5 k climbing up... Looks daunting but it's reasonably gentle

Weeee down the other side, weeee down to la Santa, weeee down to famara (obviously a couple climbs back up but shhh they are not real hills)

Then the real climbing started- about 20 k up to teguise then on to haria. ??None of it's that steep, it just goes on, and on, and on. ??Blew my hr cap of 155 out of the water up to Haria

I put my gels all into 1 bottle- worked really well till I threw it into a bottle drop! ??On went the anchors, and I went back for it, upsetting the poor wee lad who thought he had found a good water bottle.... ??I gave him one of the crap ones they were giving out instead - he did not look impressed
  • Options
    Onwards and upwards, into the wind. ?? By the time I got to haria I was thinking this is harder than Wales. ?? Loved the switchbacks down to haria village, then the climb to the mirador had be thinking that yes, if this carries on like this, then i am gonna stick to flat courses in future. I was suffering by then.

I was generally passing people but not that many, and a fair few were going by me - lots of fast people here, and lots of flask kit

However after the mirador most of the work is done. ?? The next 10-15 k is all down hill with the wind- way too fast even to peddle. ??That finally got my hr down, so the next 45k was all bang on- great flat/ slightly uphill bit with the wind- great TT bit, then a small climb up to Nazaret (hardly worth thinking about after the rest) where the pave started for 5 k. ??Lost my salt Tabs which was a little problem, as my black shorts were almost silver they were so crusty. ??However I had already had 4 and I had more for the run. So trundle through the vineyards, and it really feels like the horse is heading home... Cut left to conil, weeee down to a roundabout with a nice red storm drain on the outside of the corner, with a grill that looks ready to eat / suck in bike wheels....then down to PdC on the donkey track - 8 k of windy single width road- all down hill and with a tail wind - weeee. ??Looked at my watch and thought hmmm 8 mins to get in for a sub 6 hr bike.....push push push back into town, I thought I missed it by 6 seconds but obviously the garmin started late as I was a minute over with 6:01.

I was glad to get off the bike
  • Options
    So went for my slowest ever T2 (8mims!!) - Changing tops, slapping on more P20, chatting to the helper- apparently phil graves broke the bike course record as it was such a calm day.... That bike course would be a total bastard on a windy day

So off I toddled.... Into the unknown but with no real urgency . ??The plan was a nice easy run pace and see how the knee felt, and wondering where it would say no more or my calf would cramp up terminally in sympathy

However, it was feeling ok... ?? I guess the ibuprofen and the extended warmup with lots of endorphins were doing their stuff

Just ran between the aid stations, walking these for 30s to 1 min while I drank lots of coke and water at each

It was hot and I was parched

So the first long 19k lap came and went in about 1:45.... The pace felt relatively comfy-I did a hilly half mara in 1:25 this year, so I was slower, but I was a bit stunned. ??I even started overtaking people....

So lap 2.... On the way back I was thinking this is supposed to be the lap where it's sooo hard, and I felt....ok. It was v hot, my stomach was going acid from all the coke, I did not enjoy running down the hills, my feet hurt a bit, but generally it was all good

Third lap, queue band envy, trying to work out times and things and deciding that there was no way I was going to miss a 4 hr marathon. ??I was stunned.

I was starting to slow, so instead of going easy at the start, perhaps it was just well paced?

So, into the main drag again, lots and lots of cheering and across the line in 11:18 with a 3:49 marathon.
  • Options
    Summary/ thoughts etc

Shaved about a whole minute off my previous swim time. ??Not bad for another winter of swimming. ??image ??however Sub 1:10 is on the horizon image. I also felt generally quite relaxed/ comfortable. ??

Bike -??I thought I have been riding well, but was a little humbled by it, and by the speed of some others. ??I found it tough, but perhaps that was because I was pushing. ?? I was 30 minutes quicker than wales, 30 mins slower than IM regensburg. I felt it was harder than Wales, but the times don't lie. ??Wales was slower, but Lanza has some really fast sections that maybe hide the tough bits. ??The downhills are all scarilly fast and I found my HR just did not recover much as they were over so quickly

I got some good tan lines on the bike! ??

Take it easy, keep the hr under control as there is always another hill, and it's perfectly doable. ??The last 3rd is a lot easier than the first 2/3rdsi

I discovered I enjoy powerbars, grabbing those in preference to eating my torq bars. ?? I blame the heat.
  • Options
    The run was brutal - it rolls in a few places but generally not too bad. ??However the heat was pretty fierce, esp out towards the airport. ??It might be a bit better for those on the run course a bit later.

I found it went by pretty quick - the first long lap works well as before you know it you are half way.....

My nutrition plan fell apart a bit & I discovered I like bananas on the run??

I think I did 3:42ish at IMR last year so am really pleased / shocked / stunned with this all things considered. ??My running had been really solid so I am looking forward to getting fixed image. I felt I could have run a lot faster if I dared open it up a bit. ??The last 6 weeks of no running had an effect as well

I had a strange attitude for this one.... I was very relaxed and just felt I was out for a nice day. ??The transitions were so relaxed as I was not really in a hurry. ??If I had known my knee was going to be ok I might have had a bit more urgency

Salt - I did 8 salt stick tabs, 4 on the bike and 4 on the run - I started to get a headache after 2 hrs on the bike so upped the rate. ?? It worked. ??If you are a sweaty bugger then these work
  • Options

Cheers OC, nice report & well raced.  Holgs too.  Pretty warm out there, eh?

• Options
    Fab report OC, you make it sound easy! Glad the knee didn't blow up. That is total sandbagging thoughimage
  • Options
    Hydration- I had 1 wee during the bike (still have not learnt how to pee on the bike), and a mini wee in t2, more for show than anything else

That was it. ??In IMR I hit the loo twice on the bike and 3-4 times on the run. ??

Drink anything / everything you can.

My neck aches - too many group rides, not enough Solo TTing.

The Lanza finishers shirt is way better than the IM polo shirts from last year

It's a fast race - ie lots of fast people here- I think I am back in 70th place in my age group / 347 overall or something - ie just creeping into the top 25%. ?? I had been aiming at top 15% this year.... But I am happy

I thought the race was brilliant. Not only is it tough, but it has soul.

It might not feel quite as slick as some others, but it all just worked.??The marshals/ feed station people were great, there was load of support, ( esp from the COLT triclub).??

You also get to have a holiday at the same time??

recommended!

Post race. ??Both knee and calf are a little Fu**Ed but it's manageable with the odd pain killer - not so bad

I am now sitting here under blue a blue sky, beer in hand.

Planned easy spin today has been cancelled image.

I am on holiday afterall and have nothing better to do than write way tooooo long race reports

Saw Holgs as he started his run, then gave him a couple of shout as he started his last lap- I was trying to eat some Putanesca, but was struggling. He had loads of time and looked like he was gona make it - matey
  • Options

Fantastic report OC. Well done you.

• Options
    mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

OC - brilliant report, well done and thanks for sharing your experience

• Options

Brill report - have a fab holiday image 

• Options
    Guys if you're staying in P del C, i recommend a tapas restaurant on Calle Tanausu called La Taberno Nino. Food is delish. It is just off the main drag! On a street to the left just before the road bends right (as if you were heading to Teguise). We loved it and went twice on our trip recently image
  • Options

Fab report Orange 'sandbagger' Cannon  image

• Options

Ace reporting OC. 

Enjoy your holiday.

• Options

great report OC have a well deserved break!

• Options

Great report OC - and they say Holgs is the gifted author image  Getting excited about next year now!! Will need to pick your brains a bot more, especially on tips for the bike course!! Well done mate!!

• Options

I so enjoyed watching this yesterday.  I had planned IMWales 2013 to be my first but ... I guess it's a silly question (cos can 'beginner friendly' ever apply to an IM?), but has anyone here done Lanza as their first?  Any thoughts?  

• Options

And great report OC, enjoy your well-earned hol.

• Options

DTT - there's a couple of us heading to Lanza next year for our first IM with the Pirate Ship!! Come join us!!

• Options

Great report OC, absolutely inspiring.