ironman lanza 2012

1234568»

Comments

• IronshasIronshas ✭✭✭
    Great report OC & well done again!! Also glad the knee held up during the race for you!!
  • Firstly - thanks everyone for your amazing support on here, sorry I kepy you up late but this was never about time for me, I just wanted to finish, and finish I did.

OC - nice to meet you, very well done. I'm a poor cyclist and I found the bike course tough. COLT ( City of Lancaster Triathlon - is my club, they were primed that there was another pirate on route image )

It was a tough day but very rewarding, unless you've raced it you just can't imagine how tough it is. Even the run isn't flat.

The bike course can be very lonely, nothing to see, just lava, desert and the feckin big hills you know that await you. But to be honest it's the leg sapping hills that don't really register that hurt you the most. They don't feel like hills, and your average speed is shit ( yes mine usually is ) and it messes with your head.

The best way to create the bike at home - JUMP on the turbo, with a pile of my books under the front wheel to make a hill, crank up the central heating, pedal like fuck and get nowhere whilst your Mrs/Mr hold a hairdryer 2 inches from your nose, on full blast for several hours...only pausing to run to the industrial fan at your side, switch onto full and then for a laugh throw a bag in between said fan and you.

The descents are great fun though especially El Golfo and down to La Santa, I went 50mph +

That pave stretch caused me to lose my bar ends, it hurt like hell.

My transitions were slow, they are weirdly set up, lots of running in cleats, and the wrong way. However I took my time, never got changed at all but got lathered in sun cream. However I am seriously burnt with huge blisters on my forearms, elbows and above both knees.

BUT

I raced my plan, didn't die in the heat and did it, simple really. Crossed the line and expected to be medically assessed but instead was whipped into the press area to be interviewed. I'd also attended the pro press conference the day before which was mucho cool image

Thanks again everyone.

Right couple of hours sleep, then 8.30 train to that there London for some poncy books awards bash tonight, but none of them  have got an Ironman Lanzarote medal......

ps: full report on blog later in week

pps: if you do decide to race this next year any of you start hitting as many hills as you can now on the bike and lose as much timber as possible, if you have any weakness you'll be found out.

• what was also very surreal was being recognised by people that had read my book: bike check in, on the bike route, on the run, and at the airport today by one of the spanish customs guys.

• So pleased for you Holgs, you defeated a really tough course and came out on top image  Can't wait to read the full report.  Hope you get the sunburn treated okay; blisters sound pretty hellish image

• Well done holgs, that's just awesome, so very cool and you're so humble despite the fame, I loved the fact that on the athlete tracker your occupation was librarian... I mean I know it is but some people with the slightest bit of fame would have changed it - I love that you haven't changed still a top bloke and still post on the forum etc

Good luck tonight, even if you don't win, who cares how awesome to be considered!

Right TOTALLY inspired by our boys OC and holgs, i'm going to murder my first marafun this weekend! 8848 @ Edinburgh, no pirate kit yet, but I'll be wearing black and yellow
  • Ooh is Edinburgh this weekend?!  I'll come and watch as i live in edinburgh too image  I shall look out for you, and try to get the number right so I don't scream MOVE IT GASTANK!!!  at some upsuspecting soul and frighten the life out of themimage

• Nice one Holgs,  you didn't keep us all up late,  I had every confidence in you getting home in time once I'd seen your run splits (pretty consistent stuff) so left you with 10k to goimage   Have fun in the Smoke tonight.

• OC and Holgs, great work both of you. That race is definitely on my 'to do one day' list and these reports will both help with the long term planning...

• Lol Lee yep on Sunday... Some abuse will be welcome!
  • mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

holgs - well done. Can't believe you have the energy to go to a book awards thing! Look after that sunburn.

reallu inspirational, but I don't think I am that mad....

• Thanks very much everyone, suprisingly my legs feel quite fresh today, just the blistered feet and blistered body that hurts.

• Well done Holgs and OC, you are both true Ironmen...image

• Great report OC, I decided after biking on a recent holiday to Fuertaventura that I was NEVER doing IM Lanza. Is Holg's full race report available yet? Really looking forward to it.

• What a fab report Holgs, bit teary here now!!!  I can't even imagin tackling something like Lanza, so hats off to you image

• p.s. you need to update your race record!! imageimageimage

• cheers pet, I know, I'll get round to it at some point image