Options

Friday 27th May

Morning all:

Thanks for the pats on the back, the fitness is definitely coming on. The only reason I am impatient is because I am meant to be doing 5k in Norwich 9th July, you're not allowed to do it if you can't go sub-20!

Yesterday's lyrics - Something Good Can Work (Two Door Cinema Club)

What: Maybe a little cross-training, not sure
Why: No running today, got hard session tomorrow/
Last hard: Yesterday
Last rest: Monday

Hope cold clears up soon Christine, happy anniversaries to those who have them, and enjoy Whitby LMUH!

Comments

• Options

Morning BCDB and rest of the peeps

What: A run later

Why: Disturbed pup going out earlier, so played with him in garden to keep house quiet at 5amish !

Off work todayimage

Have a good one

• Options

Morning!

Smon - Whitby is ace, good countryside, breathtaking coast, plentiful good food, pretty houses etc. Not sure I'd feel quite the same about it peak season mind you.

Tom - I've found the tri training great for my running OCD - how's your swimming?

BSCDB - do you travel with your work or just to run?

birkmyre - enjoy your day off.

Well, all the walking about I did yesterday after my run (and maybe the huge amount of protein eaten last night - had to leave some of my fish and no room for pudding) has done wonders for my battered legs so we're off out for a final bike ride this morning.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Simon - Love the Blue nose joke....LOL

What - a few miles
    Why - have a 10k tomorrow night
    last rest - yesterday
    Last hard - Weds

Off line for a few days after today as going camping with Jnr and a mate.... hoping for some decent BH weather, but not looking too promising....

Take care

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 75 mins easy on the bike
    ??lunchtime
    Why: Crunchie Friday so relaxing
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: 28th March
    Lyrics: No

RFJ - take a wetsuit !!!!!
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Madame O: Oh yes, the dreaded max HR rest - expect to feel image

After my initial HRM purchase in '08 I never ventured there again. Too painful. Although there were a few visits to the vomitorium doing hard intervals and more or less maxing out.

So Tom and NZC are heading for their respective Golden Wedding anniversaries then!  That's very impressive. 

Impressively fast running, Simon.

BCDB: what happens if you have a bad day and go over 20 at the Norwich 5k? Do you have to buy beers for everyone image?

Hoping to head out for a 5 mile recovery run at lunchtime. It was storming and lashing down with rain this morning so I wimped out. It's still gusty but at least the rain has subsided. What's with the weather at the moment?
  • Options

I just travel for running. Have done races in Paris, Marseilles, Rome, Ulm, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Lisbon, Geneva (where I currently live and work), and all over the UK. I get about.

if I pass through halfway point in Norwich over 20 minutes, they pull me out! if I get to halfway inside 10, then blow up and finish in 22, i will be OK.

• Options

Morning all.

Rest today because i deserve it and it avoids one of Toms obsessive urges to keep going every day because i've gone a week withouyt a rest.

Tom - have you heard of this lot . They are Derbyshire based but lean more towards trees than sheep. They play in Derby and Nottingham (as well as several obscure locations). A mate of mine is the bass player and he throws in a few backing vocals too (i'm sure he didnt sing with the newcranes though). They are a cross between SLF and the Drop Kick Murphys. They've been around a long time now and they got their name as they are resisting the fading away of late 1970's (particularly 1977) punk.

Anyway - enough of that - hope Whitby is good LMH - enjoy the calorie burning - you might find a good punk band playing there too!!.

I'm off for a rub later to hopefully get me primed for Monday's marathon effort!

Danny - keep up the work.

NZC - chin up - We all have to have winter sometime - where i am we have winter 9 months of the year!!

MadameO - Can you get a Goth/ Metal themed Garmin?

Simon  - they are fast 400's - I will be introducing a few sessions of 400's the week after next and I will be extatic if i achieve low 80's. 

• Options
    sorry, over 10 minutes ...
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    BCDB: That's ok then - you can just go out spectacularly hard and then blow up. Happens in nearly every single of my races image
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

BCDB
    Even I can manage 5K in under 20 - should be easy for a 6 min miler like you!

What:  Down to the track this morning for some Hadd tests
    Why:  To compare with how I used to be several years ago
    Last hard:  Reviewing the results!
    Last rest:  1 day
    Lyrics:  No

I also feel the need to re-establish my HRmax, but don't seem to have it in my legs to push that hard at present.  Will have to address this somehow.

• Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

what: 20.41 miles on bike this morning, cycle home later prob 25 miles hilly

why: I really love my bike

last hard: this morning

last easy: sunday I think

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Did an easy and pleasant 5 miler today in 35:22 - felt very comfortable.   Cold is feeling a lot better today though not completely gone.  I think perhaps the 3 days of enforced rest might have done me the power of good! image 
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Paddy - haven't come across the, but the Rock City banner brought back some happy memories!

40mins - I always thought that 20min for 5k was doable on about 6 weeks training from scratch....however I'm no longer sure. I've been back running for four months and I still don't fancy my chances yet.

5 easy relaxed miles this morning keeps me on target for a weekly total of 50
  • Options

Afternoon

Still resting here, doctors orders

What: Nothing

Why: Sick image

Last Hard: accepting I was ill & pulling out of league race

Last rest: I think there will be a few

At least we have a long weekend. Enjoy all.

• Options

Afternoon All

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the times - I have been making a point of stretching the hammies every day - and it does really work!! Lost a bit of weigh too - only 1/4 of a stone. Think running to and from work with a bag helps too - as it gets me an extra 20 miles from nowhere!!

Tom - Did 4.12 last year for 1500, PB is 4.04 which I am hoping to get near this year -wind and form permitting! 400 PB is about 57. 3k PB 8.59, but feel I could do 8.40 if a get a good race. We'll see.

Rock City - great 80's night in the late 90's!!

JEB - hope you feel better soon - LMH - ex GF was a bit hippy ish..did hair twirly things for people in Whitby. must go sometime...

• Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Simon - I think that it takes a few races to hit your 1500m stride, so very often your first outing of the season isn't really a good indicator. Several years ago there was a guy nickname "Sven" who posted here...a really class act who ended up running 3:48 for 1500m. I believe his debut for that season was about 4:06 or thereabouts.

Your targeted 8:40 for 3000m is dead in line with your 4:04, but I'm surprised that your 400m is only 57secs. On the basis of your 1500m time I'd expect it to be around 55secs. I think your a very different kind of 1500m runner to Moraghan!
  • Options

Simo:n Impressive series of 400m reps recently

Forgot to mention that mate.

• Options

Wabo - bet it took me longer to ride my 21 miles this morning than it did yours - ended up an hour and three quarters - but we did climb nearly 600m.

Unfortunately I had a bit of an asthma attack after one climb which rather stuffed me for the rest of the ride. Thankfully I had an inhaler in my saddle bag (I'm rarely asthmatic and tend to forget to carry an inhaler) which enabled me to ride home easy though I'm still a tad on the weak and feeble side - amazing how it takes it out of you. Better today than at the start of the week though and at worse it should mean a rest day tomorrow though I'm hoping for a last cheeky little run round the cliffs before heading home.

Jeb - hope you're feeling better soon.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hi   late post from me...
    what - hope to get out later for  or 6 easy,
    why - busy weekend so may not get any running done...

thanks for the top music tips, plenty for me to browse!

NZC - eldest finished 6th overall, pb in the 800m (won her heat) which was the top 8 so she beat the medallists which she was pleased about. All the hurdles times were .5-.8 slower due to winds & rain.

You see that Peter Beardsley is the latest football star named in an injunction case?
    The lady in question is trying to protect her anonymity...
    have a great weekend

• Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMUH: enjoy the rest of your holiday. Sorry about the asthma attack. It can really bugger up your life image
  • Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Afternoon,

Hope you're feeling better today NZC. I'm impressed by yours and Tom's respective marriage streaks btw! image

Also hope JEB and LMUH are feeling better - take it easy.

Tom - I stumbled across Flogging Molly on Kerrang Radio one night and thought they sounded good. Reminded me of watching the Dropkick Murphys at Reading a couple of years ago.

Good session Simon (and yet another good Brum joke) -  and oooooh how exciting about AW!! Will make sure I buy it tomorrow and have a look. (I do like AW but have trouble keeping up with weekly publications... must subscribe).

Enjoy the camping trip RFJ, and hope the weather holds out for you.

What: Nothing

Why: Mini-taper

Last hard: 25/05

Last rest: 17/05

Lyrics: No

I did it I did it I did it - I ordered a Garmin Forerunner 110, yay! Only the most basic, with no HRM - I've worked out suggested pace times using the McMillan calculator so will just use those as a guide. The main thing for me is an inability to maintain a consistent pace during interval training (unless I'm on the Treadmill of Doom)... might consider upgrading if I get on with it ok.

Happy weekend everyone!

• Options

Simon:Way back in 86 I remember runing an 2.02 800m and then a 4.11 1500m within a week of each other. Both were on a cinder trackimage

'During the war !'image

JEB and LMUH: Get well soon oh and NZC too

• Options
    Dustin: I laughed at the Peter Breadsley jokeimage
  • Options
    Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Simon/Birkmyre...for me it was 1:58 and 3:59 way back in 1972;-(

That 3:59 was the last time I ever raced 1500m....not sure what I could manage now!
  • Options

Tom and Simon: I'd need to have a dig through old training diaries to see exactly what I was doing re track sessions back then

I'm sure Morghan would be able to offer decent advice on this.

• Options
    MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    Just realised I missed Dustin's post - well done to your eldest, and image at the Beardsley joke!

I know very little about the very short distances, but all I can say is I can't imagine how much they must hurt!
  • Options

Lyrics: personal jesus. Can't believe no-one got that.

Johnny Cash version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQcNiD0Z3MU

• Options

Cheers Birky - don't worry about not commenting on it - i'm rubbish at commenting on everyone else. Thanks for the link. I'm used to the 'back in my day' stuff from everyone at my club image ...i say i'm an honest trier, as compared to those with natrual talent LOL!!

Tom - I've met Morgahan at Bedford - my missus runs for them too - and he is completely different to me - he definitely moves up to 8/15 from 400, whereas Ihave moved down. His 400 is loads faster than mine

Yes O - I'm still getting over the excitement of the AW mention. Agree about the stupid M35 vets category though - sooner or later it will be scrapped I hope!

Good running...

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Tom
    Regarding ease of 20mins for 5K, I think it depends what sort of runner your are.
    If you're coming at it with good leg speed (eg young and/or from a track background) then yes, 6 weeks or so for a bit of endrance, and away you go.
    If you're an ageing vet more used to half marathons, it can be a rather anaerobic experiance, and a big ask regarding leg speed.  Took me about 3 races to get there.
    If you just can't move that quickly, it's a different story...