Options

Cheltenham Half Marathon

2»

Comments

• Options

Evesham AC werent overly pleased with the event either.Neither were some of the reviewers on here

IF you advertise Chip timing and medal, then that is what you should get.

As I mentioned previosuly - less than half the cost Bourton AC put on a brilliant race.

I wonder how many people were actually put off because of the cost of the event...... image - given the incredibly high number of unattached runners.....I would suggest quite a large number.

• Options
    You run a marathon on a track? Yawn, surely?
  • Options
    As you have questioned it I have also run 24 hours on 400m track 15 times. I organise the Crawley 6 & 12 hour track race. 28th April 2012 if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    @Nick L - I was put off partly because of cost, but largely because the route (even the revised one) is crap. I've run it about 70 times as part of my LSRs over the last two years, and it's just soooo boring.

If they're going to call it the Cheltenham Half Marathon, then, surely, it should be in Cheltenham. Looking at the parish boundaries, absolutely none of the route is in Cheltenham - it's all in Tewkesbury CBC parishes!

I hope it comes back next year, but with a far better route that includes part of the town centre.
  • Options
    I wasn't really questioning whether you had run marathons on a track, but more, why? Isn't it rather dull?
  • Options

Interm - both of the routes are rather dull, and yep fair enough it isnt 'in' Cheltenham....but to run in the town would be a logisitcal nightmare. If the racecourse isnt in Chelt borough, then perhaps that is a tad misleading too? (just playing devil's advoacate)

As for running maras and longer on a track - I have never done it, and cant speak for Pam, but the mental challenge is something that is probably quite important for ultra runners. Scratch the surface and there are much more dull/boring/challenging events out there - the practicalities of the track though for 6/12/24 hour races are important I suspect. 

William Sichel took part in a 1000mile event last year that was (i think) 1km laps on an airfield in Greece.

• Options
    @Nick L = fair point re. the race course, but the entrance to it is in Cheltenham - the exit for the HM was in Southam, though image

I might have a 10km track event coming, which I'm not particularly looking forward to. I like 10km, but I like to be out on the road, and the only time I've ever run on a track was at the end of the Cwmbran Fun Run in the 80s - just two-thirds of the track at the end of a 7 mile run. Since then the only time I've even been on a running track was to get Daley Thompson's autograph - before "DT's Decathlon" had even come out!
  • Options

We all like someting different I guess otherwise life would be so boring!

I was helping to crew for William Sichel (top U.K. multiday runner) at the 1000 miles in Athens and, yes, it was a 1 km circuit on a disused airfiled. 

As someone who does not live near Cheltenham (I live in West Sussex) I thought the route was scenic with nice views of the edge of the Cotswolds etc. but I guess if you live locally you wouyld have seen those views many times.

Finding a route nearer the town centre would not be easy these days, I doubt if the police would approve but maybe the organisers might take our comments on board for next year.

By the way, my track ultra races are sold out every year and there is always a waiting list for people to get in so, someone must like track running! 

• Options
    @Supergirl Pam - at least you can't go the wrong way on a track!
  • Options
    On a side note, one of the guys at work's parents used to be in the same running club as Dave Dowdle when he set the 24hr and 48hr records in the 80s.
  • Options

..you might want to peruse some of these pics if you havent already seen them?

http://www.glosaaa.org.uk/GAAA_RRarchivephoto_gallery.htm

including some of Norman Wilson

• Options

I have seen those photos, in fact you have reminded me that I promised to sort some out to be included with them.

I know Dave Dowdle well, I am a life member of Gloucester A.C. The club had the best ultradistance team in the U.K. in the late 70's early 80's. Dave still holds the U.K. 24 hour record of 170 miles 974yds in 1982.

Ah, happy days!