challenge Vichy

2»

Comments

• Possibly, Cake, depends a bit on finances as we're both doing a Channel relay swim at the end of July, and that's sort of expensive - over 400 squids for my entry in a 6-person relay and as OH is doing a 3-person relay his cost is double mine.

Anyone complaining about the cost of an IM can just stop right now!       image

• Hello Everybody,

I followed your post since the start image ... and i come just to show you photos from Challenge Vichy last sunday. It was extremely hot , 40°C during the marathon ( it's not so warm all the summer in Auvergne, we had the hotest day of the year).

You can find very nice photos (300) on this 2 links :
    - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.250050325027449.68254.158187084213774&type=1
    - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.250059725026509.68257.158187084213774&type=1

Hope to see you in Challenge Vichy next year ... have fun Gael
  • excellent pictures but you have royally screwed getting any pirates there by showing a non wetsuit swim !
  • Veni, Vidi, Vichy

Nice   image
  • The water t° was exceptionnal with the last "hot" week. 10 days before the race the water was at 17°C ... it was like last year in francfurt when in one week , the water passed 21° to 27°.

Without wetsuit and 40° ... it was a small Hawaii image
  • Iron Rose wrote (see)
    excellent pictures but you have royally screwed getting any pirates there by showing a non wetsuit swim !
    image None wetsuit you mean I might actually have to put some effort in. Still well up for this but might go the year after so can hold SA’s hand.image I like holding his hand but he always tries to run away. imageimageimage Mummy says I'm special.
  • Well, I am now looking at doing the Vichy half maybe, seeing as my titanium hip has put paid to doing any more marathons. That or Zurich Olympic, then we can cheer on the Pirate presence at IMCH the following day.

• I see it was hot again this year - but they made it half distance for safety ?

IW would they make the Half IM into a Quarter IM ?

Running in 40 degrees sounds brutal. Spectating in 40 degrees sounds almost as bad !

• Is that the second year running that it's been oven-hot and compromised? Bit worrying. Not sure I'd fancy committing to this as my main race of the year if it it's a risky one.

• Its just too hot for me - thats silly temperatures. Pity, as the race looks good other than that !

• Hot, hot, hot. I wouldn't even fancy spectating in those sort of temperatures.

The plan was to find an European event in the summer holiday to combine with a  family holiday. Maybe IM Sweden would be a better temperature.

• Probably would, but Sweden is really expensive, and alcohol is hard to come by! That's why Copenhagen is full of Swedes at weekends - they all come over on the ferry from Malmo to Denmark!

• The weather this year is pot luck - the German Elite and Under 23 Championships were held yesterday in northern Germany and it was 40c there too, no wetsuit swim as water was 25c. Same here in the south, and today as well. Both LJS and I have run in 40c and while it isn't very pleasant it can be done.

• Well, we should have returned from France with an IM distance race under our belts but were scuppered by the weather.

We found out at bike racking on the Saturday that we had a 'level 2 heatwave' on our hands and that they could stop the race at any point during the event.  They made the decision late on Saturday night to turn the full into a half - we found out an hour and a half before race start.

It was 22 degrees at 5.30am.  I'm not sure how high it went.  Funnily enough, neither of us felt the heat until we stopped racing.

We're disappointed that we didn't get to race the full distance but they've offered a discount for entry to Barcelona or Henley next month or Vichy in 2013.  All options are currently under discussion.

The Challenge Vichy course is a scenic, fast course however there are a number of things they promised which they didn't deliver on:

• text message race updates to a specified mobile
    • backpack (apparently they're going to post these out to everyone!!!)
    • visor cap
    • bike covers at racking
    • Formula 1 style swim start with bi-colour lights - no lights in sight, we got the blast of a horn like every other swim start.  Meldy knows how much I was looking forward to this

They also missed important points in their race pack and at briefing (eg lap bands on the run).

I know these are minor points and that it's only Vichy's 2nd year but the Challenge company has been established for 10 years and feel that they should be delivering on their promises.

• Sounds like you're a little underwhelmed, 'dillo. Sorry that it didn't live up to expectations. Must be gutting to set yourself up for a full distance race and have it shortened at the last minute. But hopefully you can make good use of the discounted entry for another one image. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll swerve this one after all.

• for anyone interested in this for 2013, they put the date back to 1st September to try to avoid the worst of the summer heat

• Lots happening on the 1st then image

Dillo ...pop down to Marlow again and i'll play with the traffic lights and beep my horn for you if you like   !!

• looks like it Moulds - so for those wanting a French day out on 1st Sep it's Chtriman or Vichy.   some might like to try Ironbask on Sep 7th  - www.ironbask.fr - we're doing the standard there this Saturday but there's a long, 1/2 and sprint on as well on the same day.   so between those 3  we have the North, Middle and SW France covered....

allez les pirates....image

• Will be popping to Henley.  Took Challenge up on their offer of 20% discount - didn't want to waste all the training i've put in.  Must admit it's proving difficult to motivate myself for Henley having 'peaked' for Vichy.

• 1 September sounds like a better date for Vichy, starting to think about it again now.

• Hi Pirates,

Here is our new video presentation of Challenge Vichy 2013

On Sept. 1, 1600 triathletes are expected on the banks of the river Allier to compete in the ETU European Championships Long Distance Triathlon and Vichy Half triathlon, 750 athletes have already registered, + 33% compared to the same period in 2012.
    Challenge Vichy presents you a teaser of 3' about their 5 days triathlon fest : http://vimeo.com/61004742

Have a nice week-end