Bupa London 10,000 - Sunday 27 May 2012

Comments

• Understand Bob.  I'm not a serious runner by any stretch, espec with my times image

Good luck swith the British 10k, let's hope you don't need to moan!!

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭
    andyp - was doing "baggage" in 2008 so does that mean I'm an ever present?  That was the first year and it rained so badly that even the flooring of the marquis where we were looking after the bags was under waterimage
  • That definitely counts Trigger2. I always admire the volunteers at events who have to be around for much longer than it takes us to run the distance. They don't get the chance to warm up by exercising like the participants.

My neighbour ran in 2008 and was the preverbial "drowned rat"...
  • I wonder if anyone has any idea how long it's safe to leave it before entering? I'm new to running and would like to leave it another month to six weeks before making a decision over whether I'll be ready for the distance by then so that I'll be more confident telling people what I'm doing, but I really want to do this one, even though it's not local to me (mainly due to the date giving me extra motivation) and if all the places are likely to be taken by then, then I'll enter sooner, and if I have to walk part of it, so be it.

Also, some other questions, and I figure this is the best place to ask them because people who've run the event before are more likely to see:

1) I don't suppose I'll be able to listen to my iPod while I run (on an armband)? If I'm going to have to learn to run without the assistance of music, then I'll have to start weaning myself off as soon as I no longer need the couch to 5k app.

2) is there a maximum size for bags? I'd have to come down the night before, and if I would be okay with a small suitcase it'd mean I could bring more in the way of a change of clothes and stuff to entertain myself with at the hotel.  Obviously if I have to restrict myself to a large handbag or rucksack, I need to only bring essentials.

3) I take it there's nowhere to change around the finish area, so I'd need to find a public toilet before going to get a meal before catching the train home?

4) How long does it take to collect medal etc and collect luggage after finishing? Trying to work out what time train I would need out of London - I can't book one yet, obviously, but the time I can get home for is the one thing that might change my mind about the event because there's something I want to be home for in the evening.  Also, I guess the amount of time it takes to get to the startline will impact that too - how long is it likely to take given I'll be towards the back?

I know it's pretty obvious that I'm a complete newbie but I figure I'd better ask and look silly than not and end up regretting it.

•  Stop mincing and sign up,its a good un but pricey.

1 Officially no i pods but people use them.

2 You will sent a very large plastic bag for your clothes,you use your own bag if you wish.

3 loads of toilets in green park

4 medal and goody bag just after the finish,a walk down the mall into green park for your baggage,around 15mins max,very smooth operation.

The starts are staggered depending on your expected finishing times. It really is a fun event,and you wont look silly image. Fire away if you have anymore questions  .....

• I hate breaking rules so I'll probably have to have a good faith attempt at weaning myself off music while running because I probably won't have a pocket to hide it in till I start... Something to work on when I've finished C25K and I'm not worrying about having to cross the road in the middle of a running segment, and therefore can make my routes more interesting to replace music as something to occupy my mind

So, I'm not going to be told "we can't store that?" when I get to the baggage area, whatever I have? I won't have anyone with me to take it

How long does it take for everyone to get across the start line, roughly? I'm not aiming to be quick or anything, just would like to not have to walk any of it, but it depends on how I progress - so I'll be towards the back... that's another thing I'm not sure about, how to guesstimate how long I'd take so I can put it into the online entry form... I'll be more jogging than running, and likely a slow jog at that, but it's really a big unknown at this stage

•  Purely from memory if you start in the last wave,say 11.40 then  what 1hr 20 ish ?  that would be around 1pm,then around 20 mins to collect your bits and bobs. I can guarantee you,you not be last.  In fact Many people will be walking from the start.  The Marshall's are usually very good,please do not fret. Use 2 bags as long as they have your race number on,it is not an issue. The support from the crowd is very uplifting you wont miss the headphones.  jogging,running,slow jog  it really doesn't matter...

1hr 20 is based on around 13min plus a mile.which is achieveable.

• Ah, that's good - nice to know I shouldn't have any problems getting a 2.30pm train home, which means I'll be back for when I need to be.

The two bags suggestion is a good one, that'll be easier to cart around than a suitcase, too.

It takes me about 20 minutes to walk a mile, I think, so that does indeed sound achievable - and now I'm not fretting so much as to what to put for predicted time, so that's very useful

Thank you very much for your answers, very helpful and much appreciated

•  No worries and good luck !  Believe to Achieve
  • Taken the plunge and entered! Put 1hr 30 as predicted time to be on the safe side.  I'm not going to tell my chosen charity that I'm going to run for them just yet as I want to be a little more confident before I start fundraising, but it's nice to be able to relax and know that I have a place... so excited for May now!
  •  Well Done !  If you have your own place,you are under no obligation to raise funds for a charity,if you wish..
  • oh, I want to, I just want to wait until I'm more confident talking about my running before I start fundraising...
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Nearly time for this one - how's the training going?  Mine stalled for a week but am back on track nowimage

• Haven't run since the VLM - having toe trouble image

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Oh dear, hope it recovers soon.  Do you know what you've done?

• Can't quite work out what's going on. I had a blister under the left big toe nail and now it's really tender down the right side of the nail. It isnt actually ingrown so I can only think the nail has maybe dried out a bit and is sort of pushing into this skin. It cetainly isn't shwoing any signs of coming off or anything like that.

Must say it has felt quite a bit better today though. May go out for a couple of miles tomorrow.

• Re a comment about starting in the last wave at 11.40 - I assume that was in 2011 when the start was 11am. This year the start has been brought forward to 10am?

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for pointing that out!  Hadn't even thought about the time it starts - just focussed on doing the training.

How did you get on Screamapillar?

• Hi Trigger,

Run went ok, thankfully it doesn't hurt when I'm wearing running shoes although some of my other footwear seems to set it off. I have been flipping lazy though and not run since. Need to get my *rse in gear image

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

I haven't run enough either - got a 10K next Sunday so we'll see how that go.  Got my race number on Thursday so all set.  In red C.image

• Ooh not got mine yet - am away all next week so it will be waiting for me when I get back image

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    I'm starting in blue b which is about half way. I put 55 mins as my predicted time but have run 50 mins since. As it's such a big field, does it take quite a while to get into your stride at the start?
  • Hi all,

I have a Red number, but my friend has just got her number today and it is Yellow! It doesnt appear to mention yellow start anywhere, and I cant find any yellow numbers in last years pics, any ideas anyone? Thanks

• Ah, it seems yellow is a Championship number, pity they do not have the sense to include this information in the expensive booklet they send out at all!!

• Hi All

I missed last year's event due to the footy on the same day.

Back again this year for my thrid run on this great event.  I'm in Blue "A" image

• did I say thrid??

I meant third image

• Hi All!

Me and gmike are running this for our 3rd year (although his 4th) - it's our 3 year anniversary run (for those that remember we met there after meeting on the forums) - Hey Andyp, how's it going? Hi Loftus image Hey Screama and everyone else that knows meimage

I'm Blue B, and OH is Red A.

• Hi Tracy . image   I am also a blue B

• Hi TracyB I haven't even opened my envelope yet so will let you know, have been feeling despondent with what I think is a sore TFL since the VLM.

• Hi Reiki! TFL? You do know Bupa 10k is a great race and not as far as a marathon?image