Bupa London 10,000 - Sunday 27 May 2012

Comments

• Oh yeah!  Have done it twice I think and love it love it!!!

Dashes off to kitchen to fetch number....aha! Red B for me. 

Tensor fascia latae at top of ITB!

• Yes, thought I remembered you from last year! Ah, I know ITB so thought you maybe did a typoimage Well done opening your number image

• Hello, quick question, I'm doing my first ever 10k in the race next week, I'm not going to be quick.  I'm in the last starting group (i think) C Green, and I read in the pack that they start re-opening the roads at 11.30, I was hoping to do a time of around 80 minutes, I'm going to be last and running on the pavements by myself?

• Victoria my friend runs every year and does 1 hour 50 usually.  She ha never had an isue.  Nor is she last!  I imagine they start closing roads from the back.   

• It's my third year running this race! I ran in the torrential rain in 2008 as my first ever 10k. I entered in 2009 but had a bone marrow transplant which meant I couldn't run (kinda hard with no blood, and forbidden to be in crowds!). I did the British 10K in 2010 (big mistake!) just because it gave me an extra month of recovery & training time, but then I ran this again last year and now this year. image

Slowkoala wrote (see)
     As it's such a big field, does it take quite a while to get into your stride at the start?

The first km is always a dip & dive around the inevitable "fun runners walking in tutus" (how they get into the fast pens ins beyond me!), but once you get to the Embankment the course widens out and you can really stretch your legs. Watch out for the cobbles at Leadenhall Market - if it's even the slightest bit wet they get really slippery and everyone slows down to avoid injury.

I'm in Blue A, hoping to beat my pre-illness PB of 51:17 from 2008 (which I technically did in the first 10km of the Paris half, but it's not the same as an official PB!!).

• Just popping back to the thread I started last year.

Originally I was going to pull out of this race as I have an injury, but have decided I am going to walk it, especially as I have run it every year for the last 4 years.

I can't have a break in my medals image
  • Course you can't Schmunks - the very thought image

Anyway I've run a grand total of 3 times since the VLM. Managed about 6 very slow miles this morning but with little chance of either me speeding up or the weather cooling down by Sunday I'm just going to plod round at snail's pace and enjoy myself image

Hi TracyB - yes I remember you from previous years.

Still haven't opened my race pack but I'll be at the back of blue - same as last time.

• Hi TracyB - I'm good thanks - hope you and gmike are well.

Do you know if Mr K is running this year - in those dodgy shorts?image

• What time does the race start? I think I'll head out and cheer you guys on. Does anyone know what time the elite men start?

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    10.00 is the start time. Assume the elite men will start first.
  • Ooh I just saw in their email that they'll have the misters out again, at 3km and 5.5km. If it's this hot on Sunday I'm definitely running through!!

• Thank goodness - I'm never a happy Screamy running in hot weather image

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone on Sunday -  take care if it's a hot one.  Looks like a scorcher out there already this morning image

• Thanks t2 - typically I think I'm starting a cold (what is it with this race?) so I'm going to be quite happy walking as much of this one as I need to. More important to finish in one piece than to make myself ill - there will always be other 10ks.

• Hi andyp, yes we are both well image
    Yep, Mr.K. will be there - haven't checked about his cheeky shorts! and also Miss Knees (do you know her?) - We'll be in the pub after again as usual! Feel free to join us.

Hi Screama and Schmunkee. Hope you have a good walk/run/race.

Remember the suncream cos it's gonna be hot, hot, hot.

Enjoy the day and good luck everyone! image

• trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Managed to crawl round in 1.10 - didn't think the misters were very effective image

• Wow! 49 minutes of pure heat!

• First time I've done a road 10k  but enjoyed it. Misters were rubbish (didn't even see the 2nd one) but everything else was excellent. Brilliant organisation but oh the heat. 52.59 so very happy with that  

• I didn't see either mister. I remembered the fussed the pre-race announcer made of them and thought they must have forgotten to turn them on.

Enjoyed the race though, this is becoming one of my favourites. Good organisation, lots of fast runner to pace with, and a great course, particularly the bit round leadenhall market. Lovely weather as well. 

• OH said many were flaking out, one person got taken off the course before they collapsed, he ran in Red A. PB for me at 1:00:16, third year of trying for sub-60. H had a good race but didn't PB at 42mins..

Andyp, sorry I didnt get to meet you again.. Mr. K. said he saw you. Went to usual pub, Miss Knees and her friends were there too.

Mister was a pain when people ran across you to get to it, also water bottles should be put to the side of the road not dropped on the floor, nor thrown across bodies or ankles! Seemed much busier mid-pack this time than previous years.

Great organisation, fab course, great atmosphere, excellent goody bag (although do prefer a technical tee!), just a great race. Roll on next year for that sub-60!! Getting closer each year!

Well done all image

• Hi TracyB

Yes I bumped into Mr K and has friend Ian by the baggage tents.  What a scorcher that was!

I missed the Mister somehow!!

Still enjoyed it though and when I spoke to my son about it he is keen to run next year image

Andyp

• I've just seen my chip time:  1h 0m 49s - wow!!

5k time was 30m 38s so a negative split too - just!

Well pleased. imageimage

• image Must have been close too each other as was 1h 0m 16s! also neg split!

Well done.. see you next year! image

• Ran a bit more of a paced race this year, set a new Pb at 56mins 24secs so I'm happy, ran a negative split also... but gosh it was hot.  An earlier start would be nice, but then I don't have far to travel.

Mid pack was a bit packed.

Misters - the concept is funny.  If the hot weather at this time of year continues please have wet sponges.

• 27 May 2013 - We're in image

Haha sponges... sweat and germ riddled, placed back in cold water to pass to the nextimage

• Yeah the misters were a big disappointment - the first one was placed so the wind from the river blew it away from the course, and the second one was so feeble that I could barely feel it as I ran past with my arms up. I wonder if they had to turn the pressure way down because of the hosepipe ban?

But really that was the only organisational problem of the day - this race is always so slick and well organised, and I had well-seasoned guys from my running club say this was their best race of all time, despite the heat. I've signed up for 2013 already today.

By my watch I finished in 49:45 but when the official times came through, I finished in 50:27! I have no idea how mine could be 45 seconds off, as I tapped in and out exactly on the mats. Did anyone else have such a big discrepancy with their official chip time?

So it's a little disappointing that I didn't get the sub-50 I thought I had, but it's still a big PB for me, and in those conditions, too!

This was the first time I raced as a pair, and my running buddy Daniel posted a great race report if you fancy a read.

I'm just glad there was plenty of water - I usually don't drink anything for a 10k but I drank half a bottle at each station and poured the other half all over me, which really helped!

• The weather yesterday was scorching and I had to have a water bottle with me for the whole course cause I need to cool down myself really often. The misters were really disappointing - the first one was alright, couldn't see the second one and there was one where the volunteers splashed bottled water on us lol

I did it in 55:37, 1:10 slower than the PB I did at British Asics 10k last year, I blame the heat (26:57 5k lap time...could have been better had I kept it up)

• Damn you London Transport!!!!! image

I should've started in Red band C but after pure hell with getting to the site (left myself 1:40 to do a 40 min train journey - first train was delayed - then it had problems en-route and had to drop everyone off - then the next train was out of service - then the next one was delayed!!) I managed to join the race right at the very back 25 mins after it started (I was running through the start moments before Mo Farah ran through the finish - hugely embaressing!!) and spent the whole race dodging in and out of charity runners!!  To be fair I should've probably paced myself and enjoyed it but I was annoyed and just wanted to complete it.  I managed a time of 53:19 - 6 minutes slower than my PB - but to be fair I'd be stupid to expect a PB with all the congestion that far back in the field!

As for the race itself, the course was brilliant - the weather was fantastic (I only started running last Oct and this is my first real sunny race) - and the organisation seemed excellent.  I'm signed up again for next year but I think next time I'll either leave 3 hours to get to the venue or stay in a London hotel the night before... image