Welsh One Day Ultra Marathon Series 2011/2012

Comments

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Trimmed?!  After all the years of work to get it like that?

Cut and pasted the excellent maps on the website (best I've ever seen for an event) onto four sheets of A4 and all mandatory kit sorted.

Would I be right in assuming there will be no event waymarks on this course?   Some of the CPs are in amazing locations already without expecting waymarks as well.

BritNick are you lurking?  Hope to see you on Saturday, although you will be soon disappearing into the distance ...  Perhaps I'll catch up with you every time you stop to take photos.

• T Rex every MCN event I've run thus far has been way marked very well and I'd expect this one to be the same. At least I hope it is image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

OK.  Sounds good, especially if it is murky.  Which I hope it won't be.

• frenchy232frenchy232 ✭✭✭

Hello, yes course will be marked and you will all receive a pre-marked waterproof A3 map, in case you haven't seen it yet, link to newsletter below, see you next week;

http://mcnutsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

• Ahhhh I'm beginning to get paranoid about other peoples germs. My son has a cold and one of my colleagues has a cold.

Why is it whenever an event comes up everyone gets ill?

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Depressed immune system from overtraining?

You'll be OK - Get your vit C and echinacea in.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

frenchy, if you're still around - thanks for the link.  I don't think that link is on your website is it?  I've been wondering where the race info was!  Just one thing - are there are any showers available anywhere afterwards for finishers?

Looks like weather is going to be very good - just on Saturday!

• Ouch. That tickled a bit more than I expected.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I still feel hot and glowy now!  But what great scenery.  I can't imagine how much more difficult that would have been in the wet weather like we've had for the last month.

If it wasn't gnarly, it was boggy.  Was desperately struggling to get sub-10 but that cyclepath in the last couple of miles wasn't the nice downhill bit of tarmac I was expecting.  There was an uphill and it was all cobbles.

A well organised event I thought. The lengths ROs went to put up signage was unbelievable, including some mischievous ones right in the middle of the worst bits of bog.

• What fun that was! Hard as nails.

That run off of Pen y fan down to CP4 was a real highlight.

Standing at the bottom of Cribyn looking up was a pretty low point.

At one point I was sprinting downhill on the cobbles and tripped skidding across the stones on my knees.I ended up in a stream on my back minus all the skin on my shin and knees. ouch.

Started flagging at about mile 30 but i think that is down to the amount of miles i've done on my legs over the last couple of months.

All in all a fantastic race with some of the most spectacular views i have ever experienced.

• Absolutely agree, was far harder than I had thought it would be, fantastic weather though, for all the times I've been around the area I've never seen ti so clear.

The plan for yesterday was to take it very very easy all the way around, I was running with a freind who's doing GUCR in three weeks so we'd agreed to just do a very gentle training run and not race at all. The route kinda took it out of our hands though, there was no way that wasn't going to beat us up image

Very gnarly indeed, very little of it I found was comfortable running,even the flats and gentle downhills were on such rough and rocky tracks that they really needed you to take it easy. Brilliant fun though.

Agred with the assessment of Cribyn, the first part was tough but when you came over the final false summit to see the peak rise straight up I had a little 'feck me' moment.

Further along though, not sure what descent it was but it was the fairly good path near the end, mostly crushed gravel,that was brilliant, really went for it on that and according to my Garmin I went under a four minute mile!

• Anyway ended the day quite happy, plenty left in the legs and even went out for a little six miler club run today. ONly issue is the pesky hip flexors still pained me mosy of the way around yesterday, still not more than five or six on the pain scale but definetely something I need to do something about before the end of June

• Glad your feeling ok Li.

My legs are a bit sore today. Walked a few miles with the dog today and could have ran but my quads are a tad sore. All good though no injuries.

Might cut back to minimal mileage this week before the final push to the SDW.

• Probably not a bad idea Dill, it's approaching fast now isn't it? As an aside it surprised me how many perple were there in white camper vans! I said hello to as many as I could but you'd be surprised how badly people react to you when you wander up to them and say 'hi, are you Dill?'

• That's funny.

I was the one parked on the grass right outside the recreation centre.

Broken down!

• In which case I did see you as I was leaving, you gave me a nod of recognition in shared pain image
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Sorry not to come across you guys.  You sound fast and were probably well on the way home by the time I tottered up that bank and into the garden.

Liked the bell ringing for every finisher.  Good food afterwards.  That's important.  Went back to my campsite for a shower so that was OK.

Excellent event.  Got one or two bad blisters so no running for a few days, then Cardiff ultra on Sunday.

Hi Guys,

Glad you enjoyed the day, Lirish think I can now place you if your partner was a lady saving her legs for GUCR, I was on CP 3 & 5 for most of the day...

Race report and all results below;

I have seen the official photos as well and they are great will post a link as soon as they are public..

Thanks for supporting the events...

• Yeah that was me frenchy, I chatted to you for a while while we waited for her to catch up. Congrats again on a brilliantly organised day, see you the winter for the 30
  • My quads are still sore! Done a couple of 5 milers since but enjoying a well earned rest week.

Frenchy that was fantastic, other ultra organizers should take part in your series to see how it should be done. The whole day was great.

Sorry our paths never crossed T I'm certainly not fast sub 9 but sure we'll catch up soon. Lirish and my paths have crossed many times and we still haven't met. Might carry a banner at the SDW to grab his attention.

Should be pleased with my 9th place series finish but the fact that there was only 17 of us doesn't really give me bragging rights does it.image

• People don't need to know how many did the full series Dill, just tell'em you were a top ten finisher and leave it at that image
  • WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Will there be a 2012/2013 series? image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

*Dill*  sub-9 is very fast by my standards.  No real problems with tiredness or legs - just mashed feet.  Haven't run since - even walking's been painful.  Feeling a bit better today which is just as well because I have Cardiff ultra on Sunday.

Those mountains were spectacular and that run will stay in my memory for a long time.

Hello All,

Just to let you know that dates are confirmed for 2012/13 and entries our now open for The Welsh Ultra Running Series, details can be found here;

http://www.mightcontainnuts.com/events/welsh_one_day_ultra_series/index.html

Cheers image

• Morning,

Autumn Newsletter which includes information on The Welsh Ultra Running Series and our new Trail Marathon series.

Cheers

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Just entered Black Mountains 33 so something to look forward to in March.

• morning all, entry list for the Ultra Brecon 40 - Winter Edition has been updated and is on the site, last few places left for the Ultra.

Plenty for the Trail Marathon option, need 3 for a team, Forum team maybe?

http://www.mightcontainnuts.com/events/welsh_one_day_ultra_series/winter_40.html

• hello, UB40 - Winter Edition now sold out, thanks for supporting our events. We have had a few emails through from individuals who have missed out so are doing the rounds, Race HQ / Event Insuranace etc. to see if it is viable to increase numbers, if we do it is likely to be by 20 or so, cheers