Comrades 2012

Comments

• Hello over here image

Jeremy, the down run hurt like you wouldn't believe and I much preferred the up run.

My down time was 9.14 (and yes, ok, I made a few errors during the race)
    My up time was 8.50

Personally I wouldn't say that the down run is easier or faster because it hammers your quads so much... I was practically in tears with every step running the last down hills.
    But I know Keith, and some others prefer the down runs

• jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

I think Sportaloo has highlighted something that I hadn't really considered - that is that the 3.30 marathon would have to be run without taper/recovery.  When you look at the Comrades training schedules the slots for qualifying marathons are within the schedule, but I missed the relevance of this.  I ran my qualifier properly tapered and then rested before I started the schedule.  I'd guess that my 3.28 qualifier was only worth 3.40 or so.

Jeremy - I've only done an up run but I would say that the easiest route is the one you're best suited to.  Slow Duck prefers the down run but I find the down hill sections excruciating once my legs are tired.  Given that the down run has most of the steep long down hill toward the end and that they go on for many miles, it would be my worst nightmare.  Some people handle the downhills better than others.

Stevie, It would seem the MT lads were telling porkies about their last 5k.  When I get round to it I'll PM you about your training, I'd like to know more.

BTW, I found the sub 9 bus driver finished 5mins behind me.   I wonder how much stick he got. image

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Well that's setled then as I think I prefer running uphill than down so 2013 for me then! Also a good point about the sub 3:30 not being tapered. I figure if I get to a sub 3:15 that should be an ok starting point.
    Good luck for everyone going for this next year.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Agree with jelly bean the relevance of the marathon time is more to do with what you can consistently knock out rather than what you can do and half kill youself with. Scrapping in a 3:39 isn't probably a good indicator of BR potential but running a couple of steady 3:30's may well be.

As many know my training this year was very curtailed due to injury with only about 7-8 weeks of good training this year before Comrades. But at Brighton I knocked out a 3:24 and a week later at london a 3:23 both of which with something left in the tank. then ran halstead as a taper run and came in again under 3:40. It was this that enabled me to get round in a BR despite fading badly in last 1/4 of race due to lack of long miles in training (those three marathons were my only long runs)  

As for Up or Down give me Down anyday prefered it as a run and thought the support in latter miles was better (and I ran faster image )

• FizziofinnFizziofinn ✭✭✭

Unlikely I wil be joining you on this thread. It would be torture not to be able to run again and follow you all. So I will dip in from time to time to check how you are all getting on.

My very long race report is on the other thread , if anyone wants to bore themselves. Best of luck gang.

• One up, one down, keep moving. One up, one down, keep moving...

Yes, count me in for 2012, fellow freaks! It'll be my 3rd. Can't wait.

Target for me next year is sub 3h30m marathon and to make more friends at Comrades. Simples.

Happy running y'all.
  • Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭

Data for 2011 race - is available on teh Comrades site - shows what a tough race it was. Won't format here properly

• Has anyone seen or heard anything about this years race photos?

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Slides in the side door and sees a lot of familiar faces.

Haven't been since 2008 when I got a silver on the up run. You guessed it I am coming to get a silver for the down run.

Assuming I am successful next year I may call it a day but I have friends in South Africa so more likely I will become an every few year more relaxed Comrades runner. Of course if I fail next year I will be back again in 2014 looking for a silver on a down run. There is a pattern here.

History

3 Comrades 2 up 1 down

Down 2005 - Bronze popped a knee and hobbled 60kms getting home in 10.50 something - I have a score to settle with the down run

Up 2006 - went for silver and ran 7.49
    Up 2008 - went for silver and ran 7.20

Possibly the only ultra I will run next year as I am starting to wind down my marathon/ultra career.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Gobi - you definitely have unfinished business on the Down run - I have one Down run time that's faster than yours! image
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, surely I have just got myself a year of abuse.

Looks like I better get it done next year then
  • Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭

hellloooooooooooooo all!! and thanks Marty for pointing out you're all hiding here image

I'm def in for next year - though already scared & excited1 not sure how that works! Now I HATE HATE HATE downhills - they were what hurt the most this year - so, what's the best way to prep?

Still havent been out for a run - just got back from SA on Wed (I am in love with that country!) - i will go out next week but what's with the weather here?!

just saw a note on the Comrades FB page that some people have already booked accomodation in PMB! I gather most stay in Durbs and bus it up in the morning??

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Ditto Carmen. I love SA as well.

Just been out for my first run post Comrades this morning, a nice gentle 5km park run. Really enjoyed it and enthusiasm is most definately back, even though i did get soaked through. Looking to put all the lessons learned this year into practice for next. Am busy reading the Comrades book on sale at the expo which is bringing back so many great memories of the day.

I have a copy of the newspaper results and am going to put that amazing front page of the start on my wall to remind me and encourage me for next year.image

• Hello everyone, thought I would say hello, hope to run comrades next year, so will be reading this thread with interest.
  • RR54

Just do it. 

It is an awesome experience. 

You will notice how everybody is talking about going back!

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Carmen - you're hooked! Mwahahaha!

I tend to practice running downhill, hard, as much as possible...

Yep, the 3am bus from Durban to Maritzburg is much, much nicer than the bus home after the Down run.

Welcome RR54 - you're in for a treat!
  • I really don't have any excuses. My uncle lives in Durban and has run it 11 times. Had better look at training for it, and perhaps some longer distance events closer to home beforehand.

So running downhill and leg strengthening. Skipped my long run this morning, won't be able to do that so much in the future!

• RR54

A fair few people here used the Compton Downland challenge as a preparatory event and as part of their training.  It has a lot of hills, and we were fortunate (relativley speaking) that it fell on a hot day. 

It has also entered lore that your time at at Comrades is 1.25x your time at Compton.  This seems to broadly hold true. 

• Hello all,

I too am thinking about this for next year, torn between fear and excitement at the moment.  I ran 3 marathons (flat ones) in 5 weeks this Spring and struggled to recover so totally get the point that this is going to be much harder work.  I had a look at the training plan on the website and the timings of halfs, marathons and ultras in the build up.  Anyone got a list of recomendations for races to incorporate?  I live in Milton Keynes, so pretty good commutability.

Thanks, this is quite scary.  MB1

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Welcome MB1 - as Ben has mentioned, the Compton 40 (that's miles!) on the Saturday of the Easter weekend is usually a good one to go beyond the marathon distance in training.

I tend to do a selection of marathons (without tapering) between March and May for my long runs... This year I ran 3 marathons and 1 ultra (March to May) - so having run 3 this year you're not too far off what's required for a comfortable bronze medal...

Ran my first post-Comrades race today at the Freckleton Half. 1:42 so was over 10 minutes off my best but was reasonably pleased as I thought it wasn't too bad on 3 weeks' recovery...
  • The Compton Downland Challenge looks good. I have a place in the Brighton Marathon on 15/04/12, and am in the balot for London (22/04/12), should I get a place I was intending on doing both, however should the Compton Downland Challenge be held at the same time in 2012 it might be on 21/04/12. A 40 miler 6 days after a marathon, perhaps if I run the marathon slowly!

Was also looking at the Thames Trot (50mi) in February, its long but flat.

• I ran the Thames trot this year as well. 

It is a good event for a first 50 miler, and having done it you will know that you can go up to 50.  It is flat as you say, but the terrain can still pose challenges.  After a heavy rainfall it becomes boggy and energy sapping. 

I think my quads actually hurt more after the Thames trot than they did after Comrades!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Even I have jogged the Compton 40 but not an event for me. I plan to do my qualifying race early and train rather than race next year. I expect to start Comrades next year having done less races than ever before.

Comrades Training starts Jan 1 2012 for now I am a triathlete and in August I am training purely for a marathon for the first time in my life.
  • RR54 - Compton was 6 days after London this year and it made for a perfect big training block, both being treated as training runs and not races.  Having said that Compton was a horrible race and although I may go back on my claims to never run Comrades again, I have no intention of running Compton again. Also if you wish perform at your best for Comrades, you should treat Brighton as a training run as well. Bruce Fordyce suggests that nothing longer than a half marathon should be raced after Jan 1st, but I guess if you're running Comrades for the experience rather than your best time it isn't as important.

MB1 - Don't think about it, just enter, I guarantee you wont regret it. 

• Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    yay i smell fresh blood here!! speaking as someone who did it for the first time this year, i can't recommend it enough, the more i think back to it all, and watch all the videos online etc, the more amazed i am at the whole thing and feel incredibly lucky to have experienced it. I can't wait til next year! (though when it's cold and dark and i have failed to run for the millionth time in a row i will regret this enthusiasm!!). I reckon i'll try for the thames trot this year - only did Compton this year, in glorious sunshine..if anyone remembers what that is like image

speedy duck - yes i am hooked image
  • Overjoyed enthusiasm from Carmen about running, very suspicious! Who's hacked her accountimage