Options

Comrades 2012

Comments

• Options

Hello lurking in tha background

Trin- Take care

FIDO- I new it. I wont tell the others but now so wish I had gone for my BTBimage

Stevie- Your wife will hate me but I was in a similar position in 2011. This may sound a bit cheesy but in the end I simply said "I need a target in my life and I want to go" Although never happy she understood. O and the promise of taking her to the Venice marathon later in the year helpedimage Good luck

• Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    You old romantic Martin - weekend for two at the Venice Marathon....
  • Options

Hi Keith- Amazing run yours by the way. Another BR off so much less training. Venice was great and to be honest I didnt train muchimage However for everyone out ther here is a little tip. After 18 miles started falling to bits so the mantra in my head was " Its only a half Comrades" made me laugh didnt walk and still managed a sub 4.

Im starting to spend to much time on here! 99% still will not go next year but am going to do the grantham canal double which is 58 miles but you do get to have a sleep in the middle. !

Good running all

• Options

martin-

You mean to say that there is actually a Venice marathon?

How do they manage that in a city with no roads?

• Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Ben, I did it last year as well. Unfortunatley though it has to start some 30k away in a town called Stra and you basically run into Venice. The best bit is the last 10k when you run across the causeway into venice itself and then across the 14 bridges which are very kindly numbered for you. Oh yes, and a special pontoon bridge is built over the grand canal specially for the race. An excellent experience and one i am gald to have run.
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    buona sera (keeping with the venice theme!)

i cannnot believe ellie greenwood did comrades then won a damn 100m race!! i can barely run -- infact, i have done only ONE 10k since coming home, and it exhausted me! my head wants to run but body doesnt, so instead have been cycling which is great to get back to ( i stopped before SA as i'd been knocked off twice and didnt want to risk an injury!). MUST get back to running again...think cos i didn't stop after comrades because i was on holiday, i'm now feeling shattered, some wierd delayed reaction!

need to sort out some runs and work on my speed - i want to do a sub 4!!

happy running people -- and stevie, get a nanny, you know you want to image
  • Options
    Keith LKeith L ✭✭✭
    I have been running OK since Comrades and building some speed stuff in nicely apart from any time I try and run long (over 10 miles) my mind just shuts down and I struggle from about 4/5 miles even at a slow pace. Guess its my body telling me that runnings fine but keep it relatively short!
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    You know that 5k I mentioned - the one I was doing for the medal - the one on Sunday when it was a bit hot... not a lot of people turned out and I was first lady image ... didn't expect *that* - that made me laugh!
    Did 3 miles today, practising keeping the pace down to 11:36 which is the average pace for a bronze if you allow ten mins for toilet stops...
    Carmen come and do Eindhoven with me, you know you want to....

When is the best time to book flights and hotel for next year?
  • Options
    In a major upset at the Soth Marston 5k, a previously unknown runner has come from nowhere to dominate the womens field!
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Fido whoo hoo!!! well done!!

not sure about eindhoven - it means using yet more annual leave as it falls on a work day -- will decide in a bit when i start running properly again as a marathon right now would be suicide!!
  • Options

I had to withdraw from the UR 100 this weekend owing to a bad bout of chicken pox, which was a considerable disappointment. 

I have signed up for the North Downs way 100 in August, so I will get a shot at redemption. 

• Options
    Well done Fido. Haven't even managed 5k yet...tendonitis around left ankle so been going on the cross trainer instead to try and keep the fitness up for when I can start again. So desperate to get outside and run though, although not in this heat I have to admit.

Ben - nightmare having chicken pox with it being so hot.

Maybe see you at Abingdon in October Stevie...Clive and I are there too.
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    What about Valencia in nov then, SD swears by it?
  • Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Ben - bummer - horrid when you're grown up. Sam - ow, get well soon.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I shall be marshalling at Abingdon as I do every year. Usually on the 1 mile roundabout and shouting abuse at people.
  • Options

Fido - Good work on the 5k, it's nice to win a race every now and then.image

Ben - Sorry to hear you missed the Ultra Race 100, but al least doing one in August gives you time to prepare correctly and be fully recovered from Comrades. Only 4 weeks of recovery from Comrades was always going to make it a difficult day and hamper your performance.

Sam - I'll look out for you and Clive.

Personally I'm still struggling, I've been running fairly consistently for he last 2 weeks, but only easy stuff and I'm finding it a real struggle. I've got to start the speedwork, but at the moment I just don't have the energy.

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I'll see you there then Gobi - me & the OH usually do that one too. Glad to hear you'll be there, the more big loud marshalls the better - particularly since the cops were replaced by traffic management people last year and funnily enough I did get the odd mouthful of abuse (you don't get that when a cop's in view!). Very handy marshalling spot for us as we only live round the corner!
    So far I have a list of SM, SN, CN to look out for @ Abo (plus two peeps from the sub4 thread) busy busy!

SM - it'll come - it only matters how it feels on race day :/
  • Options
    jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Good evening, good to see that I'm not the only one suffering from Comrades withdrawal. image

As yet I have not run a step since the race although I was thinking about going out this evening...only thinking mind.  I plan to run easy for July, try a 5k club race at the end to see how much fitness I've lost and then start training for a 10k at the end of August if all is well - if not then another month of easy running.

Stevie, I was going to PM you to find out about the training you did for Comrades but you're not PM enabled on here.

I must say I'm amazed at how much everyone on here is doing already.  I usually run an Autumn marathon and have found over the last three years that if I try to get going too soon (for me) after I tend to crash badly half way through January.  So with that in mind I'm being rather cautious this time....with the result that I've already gained 7lbs!  But like olive oil it's good fat!image

Whilst still in S.A. I got an offer on the house so hopefully that will go through over the summer, but I won't hold my breath on that one.  It means that for the moment long runs have been replaced by car boot sales and trips to the tip.......deep joy.

Did anyone look at the link on Marathontalk to Mo Farah's win at the Pre Classic?  Worth a look, one American commentator didn't even mention his name until he moved up to the front with about 3-4 laps to go and the other didn't know who he was.

Right I shall get changed and head out!

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I watched the whole thing while stuck in a hotel room in Seattle - it didn't half cheer me up! Never mind the commentator, what about the other runners? I don't think Mo will ever get to park himself at the tail of a pack and do the "nothing to see here, just move along" schtick ever again!
  • Options
    Jelly Bean - Sorted I think.
  • Options
    jelly beanjelly bean ✭✭✭

Stevie, I just PM'ed you.

Fido the other runners must have known who he was......I don't think they reckoned he was good for a 26.44 though and I reckon with someone pushing him he'll go a lot faster.  When I watched it I obviously knew the result before hand but if I hadn't I would not have seen any way he could have got from the back to the front and kept going away from them.  Brilliant stuff!  

Carmen if you don't fancy Eindhoven I can recommend Nice-Canne first half is pancake flat second half undulates a bit but well within your abilities!image

..and there are some cracking restaurants in Nice.....which is nice.

• Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Nice sounds Nice image

Need to see about work before i can commit to a marathon as i can't book any leave Oct-Nov, plus i dont know what my shift pattern will be (apart from permanent overnights during oct -nov image( cos of the big mobve north!) plus i'll be living somewhere diff to travel will be something to consider - grrrrr!! bloody nightmare this Salford move

on a positive - i have recruited fresh blood to the comrades cause, mwah haha! Rach from work really wants to do it next yr - she's a super good runner anyway so i bet she'll be amazing (though a bit too excited about it being downhill - i'm trying to warn her it may not be as easy as she seems to think downhill suggests!)

Do i get an extra medal for getting more people involved??!

Am fat and lazy at the moment and not fitting into my dress for Henley - so THAT will force me out of slothdom and outside for a run!!
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    another vote for Nice to Cannes - did it last year and would go as far to say it has 2 slopes in the second half but is still largely flat.

Lovely place and well organised race.

Carmen - maybe show her the course map so she can see the first 60 kms of the "down" run
  • Options

Yo, well HELLO everyonneeeeeeeeeeeee. Nice to see you, to see you - Nice, Venice, Snowdon... ha ha ha!!

Thought you'd got rid of me eh? hah! Thought I'd abandoned you? Thought 'huh, one trick pony that Slotwin, won't ever see her again' Wrong on all counts, just been off on the old summer hols (as opposed to business trips round Russia) and my goodness, pop in to say hello and find myself reading War and Peace on the old 2012 Comrades forum. Pace ourselves lovelies, it's all about pacing. If we keep this pace up we'll be into page 200 before 2012 image.

Anyway: Speedy/SD: I'm here and will happily launder/pay for anyone wanting to do Eindhoven since I have both a Dutch and British bank account. Of course, when I say 'pay' what I mean is you can pay me in GBPs since my altruism does not extend to funding all your runnig habits.

Fido: yeah, well done girlie! a win, how coool is that! Stevie, our secret weapon, knows a thing or two about that.......

Trin: bad luck darling, you must have been gutted but sounds like you knew it was the right thing to do, so onwards and upwards (as opposed to downwards).image.

JB: hope the house sale is successful and the flowers are still blooming.

Carmen: Good luck with the move. Yuk. I'll be in touch separately.

Pete: how's the op recovery? Sounds like you are doing well.

As for me, not run a step since Comrades. Shin splints takes bloody AGES to sort themselves out and althought most of the time my leg is OK, it is still marginally swollen and I simply do not want to risk long term injury for the sake of haste, so slowly slowly catchy monkey does it for me. Mind you, slobbing around on a boat has encouraged me into slothfulness and tip-toeing onto the scales on return last night shows I have manged to put on almost all the weight I lost whilst training. Life can be SO UNFAIR (or was it the 3 large meals a day, vaste quantities of alcohol and only the odd exercise bike visit?)!!!

Need to start running soon (ish) as have Berlin in Sept and then Snowdon, so, Gobi, see you there.

• Options

Ben, sorry, meant to include you on the list above and then you dropped off, so....hope you are over the worst of the pox (the perils of working with kids) and will give the next ultra a good hammering.

Am I doing the 'down'?? Hhmm, still undecided. Running downhill doesn't bother me overly (so long as I am not running hard) but you know what, the more race reports I read the more lucky I feel that I had no real problems and I just do not believe lightening strikes twice. Now, it could well be that I simply wasn't running hard enough to get problems (definitely true), but even so, I have very happy memories of the race (well, tbh, large tracts of it are a complete blank), and I want to keep it that way...................................whatever, I will keep dropping in here though!

• Options
    Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Hello Slotwin! **waves manically**
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Slot, u know u need to come back! It's not real unless u do both directions! I also cant remember how painful it was! Must start proper running again and curb my growing pimms addiction!
  • Options
    Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Slot: welcome back.  Operation recovery is going well, and I am back to full training preparing for the Ironman in September.  Doing the Great South Swim tomorrow.  Not sure the surgeon quite imagined I would be back running within a week.

And by the way, I am with Carmen on this one .. you know you want to come back ... for that back to back!  image

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Slotwin, thanks for the money-laundering offer - very kind - I will get in touch shortly then!
    Sounds like a nice holiday. You mean you *lost* weight training? I put it on! Am busily losing it for this autumn... (mmmmm holiday.... sigh).

Follow your heart re. next year, after all it is a bloody long way if you don't really want to do it! I know that at the time I was all, "well I am not feeling the Down Run love here", but since then I kept on thinking, "I wonder what I would have to do to, you know, not throw up, and get a bronze..." though I'll also have to come to terms with how different it is going all the way to SA (rather than a quick hop to e.g. Holland where you can then skip freely about the streets etc).

P, glad to hear recovery going well.
  • Options

Pimms - NOW you're talking Carmen, that's the sort of training I like!

Fido: no worries, just text me or PM me. Also, indeed, follow my heart, but as a Gemini I follow it to 'yes I will do it' one day and then 'no I won't' the next.......

Pete: blimey! Good luck with the swim, hope the weather is good. I am also umming and ahhing about triathalons. After all, I cycle to and from work every day, and I DID swim whilst on hols. In fact the personal trainer thought I had been taught professionally. Nice compliment and completely wrong, but I'll take it (and share it!). Let me know if you need anymore info from Tenby (will be there in a few weeks, but off to Russia again on Monday, BIG sigh).