Comrades 2012

Comments

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Warren - if you get down to Dorking you can run Boxhill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill and Pitch Hill in succession - the north downs here is pretty hilly. In fact the Greensand marathon in October takes in three of the four hills (twice each - it's an out and back course).

Ben - I reverse my training routes each season to match the Comrades direction too!

I've been really struggling with my runs - they've been hard, slow and none of them have been any fun. It takes all the will power that I can summon just to get out 4 times a week for "pointless" 6 mile runs - hoping that my running mojo will return soon...
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    SD - you have my sympathy - my mojo is only just creeping back now and it looks very rough frankly, I don't know where it's been hanging out! That lurgie 2 weeks back took two weeks out of my training - was going to potter round high wycombe hm on Sunday but for the first time ever just sacked off a race I'd entered in favour of a mammoth lie-in. No regrets, well not enough to make me wish I'd got up at 7:30 anyway (Handy Cross *do* put on lovely races).

But not running at all just makes me mildly depressed and constipated.
    Did a progressive (bollocks - my pace is ALL OVER - I blame Comrades) 8 miles tonight, feel much better i.e. knackered but happier.

Valencia's when, November, so there's no hurry surely image
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear there's some lost mojo - I guess all you can do is try and relax about it as you know it will come back!
    Now I know this is a stupid question but hopefully as it will be my first comrades you'll go easy! Is a substantial amount of hill training a good idea even for the down? I don't do much specific, club night is fairly often hills and I route runs to include hills so feel pretty good on them. Did the Haytor Heller race on sat which was  rather hilly.
    Focus at the mo is for Amsterdam marathon which will be m qualifier (I know v flat but want a good qulaifying time!)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Jeremy - down at the Comrades is a phrase that tells lies. The first 60kms of the "DOWN RUN" you spend a lot of time running UP.

Welcome :¬)
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gobi. I have 2 marathons to do this year and then new year was planning something like speed/hilly run/medium longq run (club run), rest, then back to back long runs, rest for a weeks running. The Bill Rowan training plan I guess gets added to after New Year. Luckily :-/ there are plenty of hills near me!
  • Anybody planning the Jack & Jill Downlands Challenge on Sunday?
    I haven't been further than 10 miles since Comrades (and that only once), so the extra 20 should be "interesting" image
  • Jeremy G - As I undestand your post, you're looking to set up a training week for Comrades as:
    Mon - Rest
    Tue - Speed
    Wed - Hills
    Thu - Med Long Run
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Long
    Sun - Long
    If I've got it right then I'd say that 3 quality days in a row is quite a big ask. (Tue-Thu)
    I'd Combine the speed & hills session on a Tuesday and have an easy day on Wednesday. I'd also more controversially do a hilly steady run on Friday, rest on Saturday and a long run on Sunday. I think that weekend doubles are a waste of time unless you have injury issues and that one longer run is far more beneficial. (although I know lots of people on here do them)

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I'm not too set on the order apart from speed tue and medium Thursday as these are club nights and I want to continue those. I don' (touch wood!) have problems recovering. Do 30-40 mpw anyway which peaks at 70 in 12 week plan for next marathon.
    Just need to know what's best for endurance for comrades back to backs or just longer. Though I guess everyone is different! My leaning would be longer with a recovery run the next day. Getting ahead of myself I know as I guess the hardest training comes after January. Can"t get the thought of it all out of my head!!!!!!!!
  • Jeremy - If you don't have injury issues then one long run is definately better IMO. The idea of splitting the long run is to try and replicate running on tired legs and to allow you to do a higher overall mileage with less injury risk. But you have 24hrs of recovery inbetween, so it isn't very effective. I prefer to have a days rest before a long run and even after as well on really long runs, as it's what you need to prepare your body to complete Comrades.
    If you want my opinions on structuring a Comrades training programme then PM me, as I don't want to bore everyone.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends what your individual weak area is that you need to work on.
    In my case I think I might have been able to hang on for 10:59:59 if I hadn't got sick in the 2nd half.

(Advice & comments from old lags very welcome...)
    So I was thinking probably the most useful training I should be doing is yer actual ultras (to practice nutrition and pacing).
    Last year I did 2 ultras and 4 maras for training runs, but I was thinking next year perhaps maybe 3 or 4 ultras but otherwise proper marathon training with speed/tempo/mara pace/20 miler runs. Less of the pissing about in tutus, more trundling along 40 milers trying not to bonk or throw up.
    ?
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy - good to read about not being able to get Comrades out of your head!! Once its in there its difficult to think of anything else. I was the same last year and i am still completely hookedimage
  • As a complete Comrades novice (I will be entering the 2012 race) I am looking for advice on how to train for the down run. I have done the Two Oceans 56K before as well as the JW Ultra (30 miles) twice so I am not a complete beginner but nothing like the distance of this one. My current marathon time is 3.24 but I aiming to get 3.20 at Abingdon this year to qualify for B seeding (with a lot of luck and wind in the right direction!). I have read that the down is very painful so I want to train specifically to avoid too much agony!

Many thaks for any input/advice image 

• Karen

You are probably too fast for most of us anyway!

Whether you are attempting the up run or the down run, the challenge is finding suitable hills to train on.  A lot of people think that there is nothing close to where they live, but when you look into it you might be surprised what you have on your doorstep.  I managed to find a hill with a single stretch ascending 200m, which I can pound up or down as the direction of Comrades requires. 

Based on your marathon times you should be aiming for the Bill Rowan medal (or bull run as the locals call it).  Most silver medal winners seem to be sub 3 hour marathoners, but that might not be an unattainable goal. 

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Welcome Karen! If you can do Two Oceans comfortably you'll be fine for Comrades. What I find most benefitial (apart from running long distances) is to do hills - as much as you can - so that you get used to constantly running up or down hill (which is what Comrades is all about...) - but I guess you probably did that in your training for TO anyway...

Douglas - I did the Jack & Jill two years ago - fabulous stroll on the South Downs if the weather is nice. Giving it a miss this year - but I'll be passing the route (where it crosses the A27) as we're going to Glyndebourne on Sunday. If we see you we'll give you a hoot!

JememyG - agree with Gobi that you should do hills - it doesn't matter whether it's called an "Up" or "Down" - you do a lot of both on each run. With regard to the long runs what works for me is a hard long run on the first day then an easy long run on the next so that my body learns to keep going when tired. I find this helps me recover quicker than one very long run - but with not dissimilar training benefits. There is no "right way" as such and I think it's about finding something that works for you.

Fido - If what you need to train for is to take on nutrition then it sounds sensible to do more long runs - maybe take them at an easy pace if you're planning to do loads? Valencia is in November but I've got a "warm up" at Liverpool in October. And I'm thinking about entering the Madrid - Segovia 100km in September - may be an extreme way to try to encourag my mojo to return? image

Mojo search goes on...
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    When do I *not* take long runs easy?! Hah!
    Enjoy GlyndB, am slightly envious.
    Mojo back, had to do some intervals and kept passing this group of lads who let me through but then made puffing noises as I passed - which was fair comment and very funny. Bless their stinky little socks... the cruel Real World will come along all too soon...
    Got 8 miles mara pace on Sat... training for Comrades was much easier!
  • JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Hi Karen
    Sounds like you are in the same situation as me - great advice on here though. Are you going to aim for a Bill Rowan?
    Glad to see mojo is back Fido, if someone can find Slow Ducks then we're all good to go!
    Tough/hilly 8 mile club run last night, recovery run today and 15mi on Sunday
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    SD's autumn mara is five weeks later than mine so he doesn't really need his mojo for another month or so image

I am not so worried about uphill training as I'm slow enough that I'll be walking the big hills anyway!
  • Don't worry too much about lost mojo. I am sure it will reappear exactly when you need it most.

I am enjoying my running so much at the moment. In fact, I only lost my mojo for 1 day this entire year, just a pity that it was the 29th of May!

I have a few old PBs to take care of. Doing a 10km race this weekend for the first time since 1990! So my 10km race PB of 50:31 looks to be dead in the water. I am also racing a half marathon next month for the first time in nearly 2 years so that PB should also take a beating. 

I can only reiterate what others have already said about the misnomer that is the Down Run. There is plenty of climbing to do in the first half of the Down Run. You climb a bit to get to the top of Pollys. You climb to Umlaas Road. You climb up the easier side of Inchanga, but it isn't easy. After halfway in Drummond you climb to the top of Botha's Hill. This is, in my opinion, the toughest part of the Down Run. In fact, Hillcrest lies at about the 56km mark in the race, and is roughly at the same elevation as the start in PMB. So some say that the Down only really starts in Hillcrest.

Enjoy the running this weekend. Hopefully we are blessed with some sunshine to run in.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    Blimey Warren that's less than a minute off *my* 10k PB - you should have nooooo trouble sorting that out image
  • Welcome Karen! Loads of good advice from serious Comraders on here. You're not in my category of running but that never stopped me sharing an opinion. if you are doing Abingdon then Fido is bound to be able to encourage you along.

Marty: new pic - niicceee, but, err, can't see the colour of the medal image

Indeed blimey Warren - my 10km PB is faster than yours, and look what a sad Comrades case I am (well, not as sad as you of course, and I mean that in a sympathetic rather than scoffing way, but lightening can't strike twice)!

SD: I can come and break your leg, it's amazing what not being able to run at all does for your mojo! Enjoy Glynd!

Fido: you sound like you've had a rough time but good to hear you are back and fighting. Not sure I can make it down to Eindhoven in Oct; there are some rather unpleasant trips lined up for me then.

Sam: yeah, not nice but hey, I'm a lazy b******d, I still use 'em. Hope your ankle sorts itself out and you get back to running soon.

Jeremy: I concur with the others on weekly training. This year I did back-to-back long runs on the weekend as I was under the impression that it would help with running on tired legs. I think it did near the start of the long runs, but by March I don't think it was much use. If I do it again I am more inclined to do more really long runs since, in the end, Comrades is a really long run. For me this decision is partly informed by the fact that for the first time in my life I got shin splints. The only way I can explain it is that the step-up from almost weekly marathons to one 64km and then to 87km was just too much in one go (that's 2 go's but) for someone with biomechanics like mine.

SuperCaz: 2 steps forward, 1 step back is very good training for Comrades. hang-in there girl, you can do it.

Virtual wave to Stevie, Ben and Douglas (good luck with the J&J).

• JeremyGJeremyG ✭✭✭
    Marty I am not too worried about it being in my head as I am mentally committed. What worries me is that if I do the down then I will feel compelled to do the up.........seems normal but everyone seems to think I have gone mad, oh well
  • We wouldn't think you've gone mad Jeremy. Don't think there are many of us who haven't felt that pull to do it again the other way.

Having said that I won't actually be able to do it next year after all because Clive and I are expecting Nottage jnr. no. 4 next February and fairly positive that despite trying to keep as fit as possible there's not a hope I could do it. imageimage

Hopefully be back for a down in 2014 and hope no-one minds if I hang around to see how everyone else is getting on and maybe even post now and again.
  • PS Turns out I was about 3 weeks when I ran Comrades...so my littlest is already a double marathon finisher.
  • MANY MANY congrats Sam and Clive! So, what was Clive's excuse then image. Hope you continue to bloom!

Actually, anybody's garmin last the distance and able to give me the km of UP versus DOWN (not elevation gain/drop, actual km run up & down)? Will probably depress me as no doubt less arduous than the ever colourful picture that I paint to anybody who wants to listen, but would be good to know how far adrift from reality my porkies are. Thanks.

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Sam & Clive! Brilliant news!

Slotwin - I know exactly what you mean - I've broken my leg twice in my youth (and my wrist once)...

Ran in my department's sports day today - was only going to try the 1500m (it was the longest race on offer) but ended up being persuaded to run the 100m and 400m as well (big mistake!). Am a bit knackered tonight. These short distances hurt horribly to run hard!
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Sam and Clive - thats fantastic news. So i guess he/she is the youngest ever finisher of an ultra thenimage

Jeremy - i thought when i signed up it would be just for one, but alas no i just have to go back and do both.

Slotwin - thanks for noticing the picture. Just had to change it to that one since definately my most proudest ever running moment. And the colour of the medal is bronze. So next year i have my sights firmly set for a BR. Fingers crossed of course....

KarenG - welcome to the thread. And is that an almost athletes top i spot in your picture?? The reason i ask is i run for cirencester so we may have crossed paths in races before and not noticed. My next few races are the cranham boundary run in a couple of weeks, then chippenham, swindon and strouds halfs. Might see you there???

Enjoy the sunshine everybody. Running the down tow up flow half tomorrow so should be good fun. My longest run since comrades..

• vain - and to some extent pointless - query here. Marty: your pic looks sort of official - where did you have it taken as I saw no-one after I finished that remotely resembled a photographer, only a seething mass of humanity. I ask as I belatedly realised I have no picture of me with a Comrades logo and medal. The closest I can come to any 'look what I've done' is the Tee I bought (thanks Sam for pointing it out). Actually, spooky moment, as I am wearing it as a type....dur dur dur dur.

SD: my sympathies, but that'll teach you to 'go back to school sports day events'! Hope you won something!!

No sun here, just more rain. Ho hum.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Slotwin - it was at the finish after you were given your medal, flower etc. The board was on the left before you exited the "runners area". I bought the picture of me plus about 7 others from the action photo people on line and recived my CD a few days ago. It contains over 100 general shots of the race as well, start, all those killer hills etc. I think it was pretty good value at about £35, much more reasnable than say the London marathon ones you could buy....If you fancy a few of the general ones PM me with your email address and i will see what i can do.
  • Thnx Marty. darn! will have to look out for it more closely next year! I too ordered a bunch of stuff. Still waiting for it so will see what is on there and PM you if I feel the need. Thanks - and good to know your stuff only arrived recently as I was about to get onto them and ask where it was. Also: when does TO registration open? I have been 'volunteered' to do it next year by some friends and OH who all want to return to Cape Town. No resistance from me as it has been on my 'to do' list for yonks, but a bit unfair seeing as their motivation is to sit on the prom in Camps Bay and drink cocktails!

Jeremy: Sam is right, the pull to go back and do it again is enormous. I thought that once I'd done it there would be room in my head for thoughts other than Comrades. Wrong! It is a powerful drug, and longer lasting than more conventional ones!! I am already thinking 'well, if I do TO then I can use it as Comrades training', and that from someone still hobbling!

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Not sure when TO open, but think its sometime in autumn. Absolutely stunning race and much more picturesque than Comrades. I need to find an excuse to go back and do it again and see more of Cape Town and surrounding area. Certainly sitting in Camps Bay or indeed Hout bay overlooking the ocean sounds rather nice indeedimage

And as you say fits in rather nicely with C training. Be aware though i think you need a qualifying marathon first before applying unlike Comrades, so best fit one in somewhere along the line.

And the best thing is, it doesn't hurt as much as Comrades. I was able to walk normally the next day however the worst thing is the camber on some of the roads around Chapmans Peak and Constantia Nek are pretty extreme. (And Constanatia Nek will be a breeze compared to what you have run up this year image)