Red or White Wine

2»

Comments

• Babycham (perry wine)
    Special Brew (Barley wine)
  • Tim... In that case if a nun wants to get ratted, all they have to do is get some communion wine?

Saw some kosher wine in Sainsbury's the other day... Blinking expensive!
  • Evil Pixie - Rosemount wines in Safeway at the mo. are £6.99 (I think you were robbed at M&S!) - buy two get one FREE - hurra for speshul offers...... mmmmm,... Must say though that the sparkling rose at M&S slips down a treat. One bottle to make sure that it takes okay and the second bottle just to make sure - dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it!!!!! BOING - must away - Dougal needs walking.....
  • Tim - If nuns drink communion wine can they get into the habit????????????
  • Communion wine is extremely strong, more like port. So I hear. Although I *am* moving into a convent on Sunday, so I'll have to do a little exploring, the Oratory in particular.
  • Found an interesting thread at last... wine a favourite subject of mine....

It has to be a lovely 'Muscadet et Maine Sur Lie' yum yum

or an really nice Rioja or Chateau neuf du Pape

yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum yum
  • Muscadet??? Nasty stuff that will take the enamel off your teeth?

yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk

• Not the real french stuff..... (I'm not talking cheap crap here!)
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Red, full and fruity (Rhone, Chile or Aus) - Sunday Times wine club online have a real bargain at the moment, Haut Cabirou £72 a case. In the States this is marketed as 'The Fifteen' (as it's 15%ABV), costs $15 a bottle and is rated at 90 points by Robert Parker. I bought a case, tried a bottle and bought three more cases.

p.s. I am not employed by STWC!
  • Yieks!
    There are soooo many great wines of various hues about. S'pose it depends on the mood your in and what you're doing. After a long hard day on the fora, you can't beat a lovely cool glass of fino sherry like La Guita. Or whilst you're tucking into something light, a nicely chilled glass of Kim Crawford's reisling is just the ticket.
    To complement your pasta, how about a nice bottle of Rioja Gran Reserva or Montepulciano D'Abruzo?
    To finish off, what about something sticky with your pud, like DeBortoli's Black Noble or Noble One?
  • I'm more of a Chateau d'yeum kinda guy (?!)

Or atleast I would be if I got paid enough!

I used to work in a wine shop. A guy came in to buy a gift and picked up a bottle of 5.99 muscat. I suggested the d'yeum and he bout it (for a cool £215!!!)
  • Hey guys, I'm spoiled for choice living in the wine growing region of Germany. But it just has to be red, dark and fruity, Spaetburgunder is good but the best of them all is the Dornfelder (not a brand name, that's the grape it's made from). Comes in semi-dry or dry - we drink the dry almost always. Also has a range of prices, but even the cheapo cheapo brand is good. At this time of year we also get 'new wine' in red or white,which is the first pouring off from the harvest - looks milky and innocent but kicks your behind! served with hot onion flan - yum! For white wine, never touch Blue Nun or Liebfraumilch - it's almost all exported, nobody here drinks it, can't think of a shop that even has any.
  • It has to be red and it has to be French. Although I quite enjoy the odd glass of rose which no-one seems to have mentioned.
  • Evil Pixie - did you get to Safeways in the end? Might just have to make another trip on the way home tonight and stock up - always feels good drinking a FREE bottle!!!!! Can't drink toooooooo much tonight as I don't want to put myself at more of a disadvantage then usual for the 10k on Sunday - then I shall have a crate or two to shellabraaate.
  • I mentioned Rose a long way back - I'm currently a big fan of White Grenache. Very nice.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Anyone need to know that I'm having a day off?

Just got up,having slept off a rather nice botte of red (Elderton Shiraz) and am off for a jaunt in the Peak District.

Enjoy your day's work everybody!
  • Oh, Pixie Pixie I had some scrummy Rosemount last night - Maybe I should be called "Evil Zebedee" now as I am now planning to maybe get some vino in for this afternoon (Friday afternoon's are fab for wine-ding down with a few bottles with your work mates!). Anyway, you don't need a car, get a back pack and two sturdy bags (so you are well balanced!) and you can get quite a bit for a jolly!!!!!!! BOING BOING - time for bed said Zebedee,.......
  • For me I guess red is my fave but I love chilled Chardonnay on a summer's evening at the bottom of the garden. I know it's sacriledge but occasionally Mrs RB and I like to put an olive stuffed with an almond in the glass.

Drink the wine then eat the olive and almond. Yum!

However, I also like a fine white Burgundy. I have just splashed out a little on a nice bottle of Chassagne Montrachet and I'm trying to think up an excuse to drink it. (I know I really don't need one but it is a little on the pricey side.

Otherwise, big reds, Australian, South African and almost anywhere. I love Meerlust from S.A. and some of their Cabernets and blends are just SO BIG!

Also Barolo when I fancy a little treat. Wolf Blass from Australia do some nice fat reds too.

• You can't beat Amarone della Valpolicella. Not just the ordinary Valpolicella - the Amarone is something else - it's made from sun dried grapes so a really smooth and intense damson flavour. It's worth the £10 a bottle, believe me.

Ed
  • Chassagne Montrachet is great! Pouilly Fuisse as I've already mentioned is also good. RB... Tried the Louis Jadot one?
  • I slept 12 hours last night after one glass (after 10 miler!) I'm steering clear!