Chased by a goose.............any other funny stories?

Hello fellow runners,

I though I would share here something that happened to me yesterday, and may give you a laugh, as it was quite comical.

Yesterday I went for an early morning jog, and I passed near a local farm, where the animals sometimes come onto the street.

I saw a few hens and goose and horses around, but did not think much of it. I did my best not to disturb or scare the animals.

But one goose got angry and decided to attack me!

It looked really angry.

It started chasing me down the street and battling its wings, hissing and spitting…………..it kept chasing me for a few minutes…………..

I was a bit scared, as I did not know what to do. Well, yes, I knew what to do……..run faster!

Yes, it definitely made me run faster, i think that was the fasters i ever run................

Afterwards I saw the funny side of it: Nothing like being chased by something vicious and aggressive to give you more speed……………lol

Does anyone has more comical running/races/ exercise/fitness stories to tell?

Comments

• I once got asked by two women if I knew how to help a 'scared' chicked.

I was running past a free range egg farm and a chicken was balanced on a barbed wire fence next to two women, it was apperently was too scared to go back in the field because there was a fox in there.

I said I didnt and carried on, dont know what happened to the chicken in the end.

• Hee Hee Fatima

Your story made me laugh.You will just need to think of this when your running in a race LOL

My funny story was last year when running along my usual canal route where there are cyclist and dog walkers which is usually not a big problem. Except for this once when this dog went one way so I went the other and guess what what ever way I went it went .I was going fairly fast at the time well fast for me lol so I had to hurdle over it. So glad it was not a Great Dane.

cheers

• A goose thats nothing, you would run faster if my wife was after you with the rolling pin !
  • Fatima - geese ARE scary!! I posted earlier in the year about the psycho pheasant I encountered on one of my favorite running routes. It started running alongside me, and then as I decided to overtake as it was freaking it out it flew at my back! I could feel its wings & claws on my back!

It chased me again another time (but I must have got faster as it didn't get me) , and I 'chickened' out and turned around on another run when I saw it waiting for me.

Haven't seen it for months now (thankfully!) so I presume its been shot. I still refer to that track as 'psycho pheasant alley'!

• I often run past a pond that has a number of geese. They do like to see me off, although the path doesn't really get that close to where they are...unless the lady that feeds them bread is there, then they couldn't care less!

Erika

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    The geese are with their goslings on many of my runs. The goose on sentry duty often hisses and spreads its wings as I approach. I spread my arms and hiss louder in reply.
  • Non-running story, but one Xmas eve I was on the common with the kids trying to show them how tame the squirrels could be, holding out food to them so they'd eat out of your hand, when one pesky squirrel dashed in, bit through food and outstretched finger, and I screamed 'fuuuuuccckkkk', to the consternation of a passing elderly couple and the amusement of my wife.
  • I was running one of my usual routes the other day and up ahead I noticed two police officers standing on the side of the road doing speed checks.  As I ran nearer towards them, the officer holding the speed gun pointed it at me !! image I was pretty convinced I was not running over 30mph ... made me giggle though.
  • Someone shout "knees up, knees up" and another time "run forest run" funniest thing I ever heardimage
  • While not very funny, I found it ammusing. Recently I was running along the river. Across the path I was on was a duck with all her ducklings lined up ina row behind them. The only thing I could do was jump over them.

Another time, I was running around my local park. As usual, there were a number of people doing their own thing. At one point, a huge fluffy dog (no idea of breed) came running toward me. I had 2 choices - dodge out of the way or keep running. I knew that if I moved the dog would likely follow so, I decided to keep running. My knee then connected with it's head. Fortunately it didn't feel too hard and the dog quickly got out of my way. The owner just look at me stunned, possibly with the knowledge that he should have at least attempted to call his dog away before we collided!

• A self-confessed animal abuser, eh?
  • Helenmat26Helenmat26 ✭✭✭
    Had a tramp shout after me as I ran past, 'run faster the end of the world is coming"
  • Got stopped by a bloke who said"you can't run down here..................you're far too gorgeous!!"
  • Those were funny stories, too. Made me laugh...................

I suppose next time i go same route i'll have a word with that goose and explain to it that if he keeps attacking me......................it will be included on my sunday dinner....................!!!

lol

• NellyMarcos wrote (see)
    Had a tramp shout after me as I ran past, 'run faster the end of the world is coming"
    At the end of one of my runs (when I first started) I had just gotten home so was red faced and out of breath. A drunk walking past told me how it wasn't worth running as it was obviously killing me. I refrained from mentioning anything about his habits. Just a nod and a grunt back in response.
  • Haha these are funny to read, they're great! I once had two Scottish terriers try and run with me. A lad of about 20 years old. He was surrounded by his mates and decided to take it upon himself to give me encouragement and run by my side, which he thought it was hilarious for some reason. Doubt he would have done that if I was a 12 stone man!

I'm always wary of birds, especially in the less populates areas, reminds me of the beginning of midsummers murders! Think the only way to get ridof them it to scream like a banshee.
  • Just about on my last legs due to the heat whilst running in New Orleans, bright red face, sweating like a pig and blinding the locals with my pasty whiteness. I ran by a fancy hotel, and the elderly black doorman greeted me with 'Good mornin God' as I puffed past the front door. That made me smile.
  • Marathon training one year, a girl I know who seem to have the ability to go out drinking til 4am and still run 20 miles the next morning was struggling on the long run. Having never heard her swear before she suddenly stopped and started shouting "fuck it!". I gave her a hug and a gee up  and we continued.  At the big hill at the end of the run. We all made a pact before the ascent that we wouldn't drink at all until after the marathon that was now 3 weeks away. We put our hands in the circle and made our solemn vow. We ran the final half mile up the hill and finished the run.............and then went to the pub for a pint.
  • Didn't involve me but a good friend of mine used to live up in the lakes,

Somewhere out on the trail a buzzard took issue with him and it swooped down and got it's talons in his head and drew blood, understandably he upped the pace but the thing followed him for a good 2 miles still screeching and diving at him, he tells me it was the quickest he ever did that 6 mile trail!!

• I remember someone saying they had been stopped by a landowner and informed that the right of way was only for walking on and not running and if he caught them again they would call the police. What a crank
  • Had trouble with my lung capacity  constantly gasping and coughing whilst running,so i took out some balloons  on advice and started blowing them up when i was gasping. I kept on running in the field and thought i'd stop. I thought i'd be a bit discreet and go in a bush and do some heavy breathing and blow a few balloons when along came this woman and her son.

Needles to say i was as shocked as they were but at least they weren't too dissressed and didn't call the police. I on ther other hand ran off through the woods with my ballons.

• Bullocks.  A whole herd of them.  Or a troop, a gang, a trundle.....whatever.  There I was, minding my own business running through a local field (a new one I hadn't tried before).  I was about half way along the length of the field, sticking to the fence line because the gate I was aiming for was directly in front of me, when from a distance I saw a gaggle of heads nodding up over a false horizon.  On spotting me the pace quickened - theirs, not mine - and they started heading directly for me.  With both gates too far for me to reach and the bullocks getting faster and closer I had no choice but to leap the fence in to the neighbouring field - right in to the barbed wire and gorse bushes! 

I'm fairly certain those bullocks had it planned when they saw me aiming for their field.

• Crazy Diamond wrote (see)
    Bullocks.

Yes indeed - cattle are no laughing matter. I managed to get between a cow and her calf years ago whilst running, and the bliddy thing charged me from behind and sent me flying. I landed in a heap of cow poo with cuts and bruises and a sore ankle. I've been nervous of cows ever since, and have been known to hide behind ladies on club runs.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    sometimes dogs but nothing else
  • Once got chased by a load of teenagers in North London. Hilarious... However one of them kept going after all the others had dropped off and kept with me for about two miles. Good effort I thought 

• stanmorekstanmorek ✭✭✭

Not funny but I nearly ran over a homeless person under a bridge on the canal. All I saw was a sleeping bag rustling in a dark spot as I was running towards it.

Another time in the space of a week when out running  I was threatened with violence, propositioned in Hampstead Heath and attacked by a dog. Mad week. 

• Well that makes me feel bad, I used to go running on Hampstead Heath every other day for a few years and never once was propositioned!
  • Last weekend I visited a friend who lives near Alton in Hampshire.

Whilst out for a run on Saturday morning a 4x4 flags me down whilst running, and the chap driving asked me where Alton Towers was, and then thought I was being funny when I told him it was the other side of Birmingham (approx 150 miles away!).

Mentioned it to my friend who said he has been asked this several times.