How to cope with the rain?

2»

Comments

• I am getting a complex now..................image  i feel so lazy.....................

All you happy to run in the rain..................make me feel so lazy!   (cry, cry, sob. sob) image

I am scared. I don't like rain. I hate rain!!!

That was one of the reasons it took me so long to take running....................until now i always prefered the gym..........shelthered and dry............. 

Yesterday i went for my run and did not rain..........only a few drops.

I know that is only water..................but i am not used to it. Is so wet!!!

But as you all say, I suppose i must get used to it. I still had no chance to run in the rain, but when i do i will tell you here, so you can laugh at me.image

looks like tomorrow may be it,

I have put my name down for a few races so that will force me to go out and train in the rain.

who knows? i could enjoy it.

• biker-mouse wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Chilibean wrote (see)
    Yep, I got wet today too image I love running in the rain as long as I'm not cold with it. In fact there was one time when I was running in thunder and lightening and I got this rather hysterical grin on my face and began chuckling to myself. Which I thought was hilarious which made me laugh even more. Yes, it does help to be mad... and all I could think about was how much the people driving in cars past me were missing out on. image

Brilliant! image

One disclaimer about running in snow - it has to be falling and not settling or nice and fresh and crunchy with plenty of grip. Half frozen into dirty, slippery lumps is just dangerous.

So that means you can run at midnight as the snow is falling but the following 2 weeks when it's turned to ice is a no-no?

where on earth do you find freshly fallen snow a day after it's settled? Just doesn't happen, not around here.

Granted that was personal preference more than a set of rules but  I think it's odd that you seem to be suggesting that a) snow only falls overnight and that b) you then have to wait for two days to go and run in it. image

• You're not used to water... it's "so wet"?!  image

"cry, sob" --- Do you have a nervous breakdown every time you shower? 

"cope" with rain...  you "cope" with a bereavement, you "cope" with an injury or terminal illness...  there's nothing to "cope" about with rain...

It's rain!! image

• Is that Seren pissing about? image

Has her ellipsesimage

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    biker-mouse wrote (see)
    Chilibean wrote (see)
    Yep, I got wet today too image I love running in the rain as long as I'm not cold with it. In fact there was one time when I was running in thunder and lightening and I got this rather hysterical grin on my face and began chuckling to myself. Which I thought was hilarious which made me laugh even more. Yes, it does help to be mad... and all I could think about was how much the people driving in cars past me were missing out on. image

Brilliant! image

One disclaimer about running in snow - it has to be falling and not settling or nice and fresh and crunchy with plenty of grip. Half frozen into dirty, slippery lumps is just dangerous.

So that means you can run at midnight as the snow is falling but the following 2 weeks when it's turned to ice is a no-no?

where on earth do you find freshly fallen snow a day after it's settled? Just doesn't happen, not around here.

Granted that was personal preference more than a set of rules but  I think it's odd that you seem to be suggesting that a) snow only falls overnight and that b) you then have to wait for two days to go and run in it. image

Where have i sugested waiting 2 days? The same day its fallen it will be walked in and trampled to slush / ice. Unless you get up in the middle of the night when 90% of folk are in bed. If it falls during the day it will never be fresh as it will be walked / driven in and be slush or ice.
  • There are some places that walking on snow doesn't turn it to anything, it's just the same snow but messier. There are also some places without vast numbers of pedestrians turning all snow into ice the second its fallen. Mornings are also quite good for finding snow that has been undisturbed overnight without taking the drastic step of getting up at midnight.

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    LIVERBIRD wrote (see)

I think running in the rain should be banned. People should only do it if the temperature is 7-10c, there is a prevailing east wind of around 6mph and the moon is in Uranus. image

You can fit the moon up there? Good going!
    She always says she has a biggun but I think equating it to 10,921 km in circumference would be an exaggeration! 
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Vervaceous wrote (see)

There are some places that walking on snow doesn't turn it to anything, it's just the same snow but messier. There are also some places without vast numbers of pedestrians turning all snow into ice the second its fallen. Mornings are also quite good for finding snow that has been undisturbed overnight without taking the drastic step of getting up at midnight.

Yes but I don't live in Scotland I live in the South East, close to the coast so the salt air adds to the mushyness of any snow that falls. Early morning means middle of the night here as it gets quite lively around 5am. There are also one or two people that enjoy turning all the tracks to mush in there off road vehicles image. They have even been out today with the tiny amount of rain we've had trying to turn lane to mud.
  • I don't live in Scotland but not near the sea either.  Love running in falling snow - last December by the time I got back from my run the roads were deserted. 

Rain?  Baseball hat to stop my contact lenses floating and I'm sorted

• how do you all cope with the really really heavy rain? I find the flippers reallly really problematic, I tried waders first but the chafing !!
  • The only thing I'm not keen on running n is thunder & lightning storms.  Everything else is fair game.

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

I think most of us are fair weather runners at heart. However you do get wet with sweat when running. Warm rain is lovely. During a hard race a little rain is always welcome. I don't think anyone seriously likes running in cold, heavy driving rain and wind.

However, I think that there is a psychological thing with some people.  If there is a wind or there is rain that means it is not nice out there - try it a few times, face the fear!

• It never rains when I run indoors
  • Why? Have you fixed the roof?
  • It still rains when I run indoors, I find the sound of it hitting the windows gives me a headache
  • It rains off me when I run indoors! I am a one woman sweat machine! image
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Crazy Diamond wrote (see)

The only thing I'm not keen on running n is thunder & lightning storms.  Everything else is fair game.

Wind - well strong wind - it's not just the endless battle of trying to move forward it's the risk of things falling down on you or being blown at you. I've had branches fall out of trees in front of me when cycling and the peddle fast go nowhere scenario - comical except when you are trying to get home totally drenched cold and tired.
  • This reminds me of a thread years ago on this subject. It produced the response "Just get out there, you big jessie" which is still makes me smile to think of and is my motivational mantra when I don't want to get out there.

Really, it is only rain. I agree that I don't like setting out when it is raining hard, but stick a long sleeved top on to keep that bit warmer and once you've warmed up, it's fine. Winter running is the best, getting home after a muddy run, with mud splats to the waist as a badge of honour, is just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

• I did my first ever run in the rain on thursday and i have to say i really enjoyed it. The cool rain the puddles the lack of other people about. I think it reminded me of being a kid and playing out in the rain.

I'm not sure i will enjoy it as much mid december with a cold winds accompanying it though.image

• Chilibean wrote (see)
    I love running in the rain as long as I'm not cold with it. In fact there was one time when I was running in thunder and lightening and I got this rather hysterical grin on my face and began chuckling to myself. Which I thought was hilarious which made me laugh even more. Yes, it does help to be mad...

This so could be me, I love thunder and rain, makes me go a bit mental and jumping in puddles so much more fun to run image But importantly it can't be cold rain.

• Helenmat26Helenmat26 ✭✭✭
    Baseball cap and off you go, you still need a shower when your done so whats it matter if its wet or sweat!
  • Yesterday i went running and it was raining.................a bit.

Well, at least i had the intention, didn't I? i am improving.............is no my fault that as soon as i got out the rain stopped......................lol

OK, now seriosly. It was raining a bit but i survived it, si i suppose i'll be ok for when it rains more.

I had to laugh at the comment from Nam. Quite funny.

No, Nam. I don't get a nervous breakdown when i have a shower or bath. The reason it that in my bathroom i control the hot water, have nice smelling bubble foam, wear no clothes and i have my rubber duck!

Now, if I could go out running and have a hot tap to control the rain water temperature and i had no clothes and i had my yellow rubber duck with me..........i'd be ok running in rain.

(Ok, that's my sense of humour)image

• There's nothing stopping you from running with your rubber duckie if it gives you comfort...

The nudity might be another matter.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Well I'm either culturing a cold from yesterdays drenching or I'm allergic to something.

Sore throat, runny nose, sneezing. A cold doesn't explain the sore face and sore eyes. Maybe I'm allergic to the rain.

I did not do well in the rain yesterday. I ran half my run in the damp drizzle but when I reached the top of the big hill it started to chuck it down. I ran to the bottom of the hill and along the road a bit but started to find it quite hard going. Had to clean my glasses as I couldn't see where I was going and if I don't wear them everything is a grey haze. I was running along a country lane with no verge or path and fast cars. So I do need my wits about me - it's only a short stretch of road, no more than 1.5 miles. By the time I got home I was so cold that I struggled to get the key out of my key pocket and needed the key widget that hangs on my door to turn it.

When I get cold everything siezes up and I can't function. It doesn't have to be cold, it just has to be cooler or less warm.

So I do not like running in the rain. I do not find it refreshing. I do not warm up, just get colder. It is not fun or enjoyable just bliddy hard work.

Yeah ok I know I have Raynauds and my experience is not typical but it's my experience and if it's different to yours please respect that we all react to the cold or heat in different ways. My body just shuts down.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    NellyMarcos wrote (see)
    Baseball cap and off you go, you still need a shower when your done so whats it matter if its wet or sweat!

That's if you are fortunate enough to finish your run somewhere where you can shower or warm up for that matter.

I've recently bought myself a new running top - Rab - it's a long sleeve wind resistant / shower resistant top with a hood. It's for summerwear so is very thin and not too hot to wear. I wouldn't wear it on a hot day but at the moment it seems fine. I'm coping quite well with it but not sure if I'd wear it without anything else on the top of the downs. Maybe it will be fine.

I think that there's an element of being able to adjust training to suit the weather. Don't do a LSR in the peeing rain if it's going to be dry tomorrow but a tempo or short steady run is fine.

Anyway - today is a swim day and I like to get into a cold pool otherwise I overheat. image

• biker-mouse wrote (see)

Well I'm either culturing a cold from yesterdays drenching or I'm allergic to something.

Sore throat, runny nose, sneezing. A cold doesn't explain the sore face and sore eyes. Maybe I'm allergic to the rain.

I

Could it be hayfever? Grass pollen is out at the moment, and mine has been quite bad the last couple of days...I reckon the rain just stirs it up (rather than dampening it down).