23rd Great North West Half Marathon

compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
my best time for this race has been 1h30 since then gone on to do hilly races and getting flat race times so happy with that

Comments

• may enter this as prep for greater manchester marathon, also can use it as a surprise birthday weekend away for the mrs, oh yeas lose yourself round shops while i plod around blackpool for a few hours
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I am doing 5th marathon in October at Chester hoping to beat 3h59 and go non stop which is hard work in the full distance
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    read that is a marathon in Blackpool in March
  • I will be doing this. I have done it twice before, it's always a bit windy but running next to the seaside will always be the case.

The Blackpool runs always seem to get a bit of stick, I really like them and will always come back.

Hopefully a sub 2... I have come down from 2:30 to 2:05, just need to shift that last 6 minutes.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    that weekend I am doing spen 20 in Yorkshire do it every year my pb is 2h30 for it
  • I have looked at this race before as I live in Preston but have been told it is a boring repeat laps course. The map online is difficult to read really. I have done 3 halfs Frecklton 2:21, and Leicester twice 2:13 in 2009 and recently 2:02 in 2011. Really like to get that sub 2hr and wonder if this could be the course to achieve it??? I have run a few 10k's in Blackpool over the years and the wind can be bad but on the lower proms it can be very still even on a windy day.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Debbie

I think it is 2 laps not run in Blackpool for 3 years now so not sure
  • Hi,

I did this again 2 years ago (in the snow!). It is a 2 lap course - and fast. It can be windy but being a 2 two lap (loop) course you get a head wind one way and a tail wind the other way so it's not too bad.

I'm doing it again in 2012 as prep for the Manchester marathon.

• Debbie

Personally, I think Lancaster in November or Catforth (Central Lancs) on 2nd Jan are much quicker courses, and both are more interesting routes.

I have done this one and it is pretty flat but when the wind blows it is tough.

MP

• I did this in February and really enjoyed it. It is 2 laps sort of but that was fine as both laps weren't identical. It was very well organised and an excellent course for spectators as they can stand in one place and you pass them twice on each lap.

It was windy on the lower prom but I welcomed that as it was a warm day. 2 water points, decent toilets easy parking and registration made it a stress free morning.

This was my first half so I haven't got anything to compare it to, but I loved it. 2hr 12 mins for my first one and i'll be back in Feb, hoping for close to 2 hrs.

• ebbie, this is a fast 1/2 marathon route. My wife and I i it in 2007, whilst she was 6 weeks pregnant with twins. Well she ran the first loop, but if anyboy who has had children can agree her bladder wasn't the strongest so we spent 10 minutes to find a loo for her to use! even with this I completed it in 2 hours 2 minutes. The route if it is the same starts at North Pier and you literally run north for 3 miles or so which I think came around Bispham area and then back to North Pier before doing another lap. Although not hilly there are some inclines which certainly can catch you off guard.

This was my second (and last to date) 1/2 marathon and am cerainly thinking about doing it.

Also if you like collecting momentos from races the tshirt and medal are good quality.

• me and a few mates considering this - what time does it start?

Plus someone mentioned parking - is that on road nearby or specifically for the runners?

Got my eyes on a hotel just got to work out if its near the North Pier (I presume it starts & finishes in the same place?)

thanks.

• Come and try the new Inskip half on 22nd of jan only six miles from preston and pb potential hope to see you there.image
  • ha, thats a possible - live in Manchester so looking for ones within easy driving distance.

Ran 2nd half last week and plan on doing one a month as pre for the Greater Manchester one.

Whats parking like at the Inskip one?

ta.

• IF you get there early on the pub car park but if not accross the road from the start.

• thanks Alan, definitely a goer.
  • how many enter the blackpool half then?

Plus is North Pier the one furthest from the pleasure beach?

• 1000+ and yes north pier is the furthest awayimage
  • This race fits in perfectly with my "Just get me around" marathon training plan and my questionable ability for a first half marathon. Does anyone have any ideas on places to stay? I may catch the train up. Would it be easy to get from the hotel to the race and train station? Thanks.
  • Gentle Pace - millions of hotels & guest houses in Blackpool.

I think the train station is up towards North Pier but I am no real expert I'm afraid.

• Snake-hips - thanks, I'll Google it.

I just thought someone may be able to recommend one from personal experience.
  • yeah, sorry I stayed there last summer but definitely wouldt recommend the hotel we stayed in (the worst I've ever stayed in)

with the race starting at 11am I'm thinking of just driving now & parking up nearby.

Travelodge have a sale on if thats any good to you.

• I understand. Yes, thanks very much, Travelodge is a good idea, less risky and a sale is even better. Now for the train ticket image.
  • Think I'll be joining you! Just been looking for a half marathon to fit in with my marathon training plan (Paris April 15th!) and this sounds great!! See you all there!!
  • Is it kicking off from outside Norbreck Castle hotel again? I stayed there last year for this and it was like taking a trip back to 1976!

• Think I'll be doing this one, hunting for a pb!
  • This is best half location/timing/work commitments for my London Mara training but I must admit I'm not looking forward to it. My husband ran it 2 years ago and as a spectator standing with the kids it was brilliant. We stood in one spot and he ran past us 3 times and was finished 10minutes quicker than normal! Also as a lover of hills I don't relish the flat course.

Moan over. Help me to be more positive. Hey on the plus side it's Blackpool!
  • I am doing missionary work on the wrong side of the Pennines that weekend so count me in.

Had all my jabs too

image Joe

• I was planning on doing the Lostock 6 on the same day but i have changed my mind as it makes more sense to get a half marathon race in as prep for the London Marathon. I have just checked the events section and will enter the Half. I am from Manchester and have run in Blackpool a few times. Not done the half before. Did the Blackpool to Fleetwood 10 mile race last Oct and really enjoyed it. Got lucky for that race as there was no wind ( apart from the occassional downpour that was a blessing as it was quite humid). Will also be doing the Liverpool Half marathon on 18th March as a final tune up for London ( can never get in Wilmslow Half as it fills up really quickly - always end up doing Liverpool which is a great race).

Bet Blackpool Half gets a good turn out