Another Newbie

Hi all image

I have decieded to join as i started running last yr but haven't got very far as have been plagued with one injury after another.  I had a baby in july and decided i was going to give 110% to running to help me get in shape, lose weight and hopefully enter some races so i could say 'hey i just did that',anyway, i went off one day decided i would try and see if i could do a 5k, did it,stopped 3x but had horrific pains down my shins, found out what these were, yep you know what, was told i had done too much too soon, so 2wks rest, back on cross trainer & short distances, still kept getting aches, got new shoes,helped but still ached, had tip on reading a book called Chirunning and OMG have i learnt some things,i realised that my shins were aching because i was striding out too far and heel striking, so i have shortened my stride and land mid foot (well i think i do! ) i was also pronating which was bloody painful and my hip was aching and left ankle,i think im doomed, BUT having done some exercises and got rid of the aches i seem to be back on track.

I started a 5k training program asdoing the race for life and intend to run it, so things going ok, few days ago i did the 25mins of constant jogging, i did it, pain free and did 2.132miles then the following day i went out again and ran 2.637miles, i am really chuffed about that as i am painfree!"!! 

I just hope i can manage 3miles, and  it would be nice to find a running buddy to !  My step-dad does tri's,marathons & is training for his iron man, but i find him hard to approach on advice,i told him i'd ran 2miles in 25mins and he just said i've just done 6miles in 46mins, talk about knocking you down ! image

Anyway,apologies for the long waffle, just thought i'd share my tale

Look forward to getting to know you all ~ Nikki 

Comments

• EDIT - double posted, sorry.
  • Have a look for the Couch 2 5k (C25k) program. This is a really great way of getting started with running. Start you off with intervals and builds up your endurance. It is a 9 week training plan and gets you out 3 times a week.

Also, if you have a local Sweatshop, they have a running group every Tuesday that takes you out on a 5k run. There is no pressure for time. At the group I run with, they always have 2 staff - one at the fron leading the way and one at the back to ensure nobody gets left behind. Bonus is you get a stamp each week you run with them and at certain milestones you get freebies. 5 weeks is the first which bags you a tech tshirt. If you do want to join this, you have to sign up online and take  you confirmation letter with you (has you membership number on it)

• Hi
    I am doing the 5k training programme from the Womens Running mag, I have go confess now that I gotmto wk 4 I thought omg the race for life is less than 4wks away and I,m not up to 5k yet, but I feel comfortable doing 2miles, will check out the sweatshop thing, haven't heard of any, but will google.

Thanks for that image
  • If you are at week 4 and have 4 weeks to go then you shuold be fine.

I remember each week thinking that the extra time running was going to kill me. Each week I was surprised at being able to make it.

Good luck with your RFL image