Old Wives Tales

To determine your future: set fire to some strands of your hair - cut them off first!. If they burn brightly, you are in for a long life. If they splutter and smoulder, it is said to be a death omen.

Never pull out grey hairs, for one will be replaced by ten.

'Trust not the man whose eyebrows meet, for in his heart you'll find deceit.'

Anymore?

Comments

• My Oma used to say she could tell how full we were by squeezing the tip of our little finger.
  • If you had a sore spot on your tongue, my Grandma used to say it was because you'd told a lie.

• You can tell when a pineapple is ripe because the leaves on at the top of the fruit will come away easily when pulled.

Only found out this was a myth at the weekend.

If you pull a face and the wind changes direction your face will get stuck like that.

• "Stop doing that or you will go blind" image
  • FerrousFerret wrote (see)

You can tell when a pineapple is ripe because the leaves on at the top of the fruit will come away easily when pulled.

Only found out this was a myth at the weekend.

Are you sure that one isn't true? We use it when picking out pineapples & it seems to work!

If your ears are burning, it means someone is talking about you.

• I thought it made you deaf, BDB?

If you unwind a swiss roll before you eat it, it will coil up again in your tum and give you tummy ache

• yeo - really?!!!!

If you swallow gum, it will bloke up your throat

• I was browsing a cook book by Russ Burdon(sp? Southern hemisphere cook, was on Ready Steady Cook at lot) who suggested it was not true.

Wikihow http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-when-a-Pineapple-Is-Ready-to-Eat also dismisses it.

• I heard (& believed for a long time when I was little), if you swallowed gum it would wrap round your heart & kill you. I also heard that if you swallowed hair it would do the same.
  • Carrots will help you see in the dark- Nobody can see in the dark
  • k8greene wrote (see)
    I heard (& believed for a long time when I was little), if you swallowed gum it would wrap round your heart & kill you. I also heard that if you swallowed hair it would do the same.
    Don't go down chewing?
  • If you swallow an apple pip, an apple tree will grow inside you.