PSOF Championships 2012

Comments

•  

sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

/members/images/509622/Gallery/pirate2.jpg

/members/images/509622/Gallery/pirate1.jpg

Now who did we give the mincing prize to? These two are definite contenders although the top one may actually be skipping. The bottom one just needs a handbag photo shopped in!.

• marshallini's race review;

Swim - I started in pen 1.  I'm not a sub 60 swimmer but I figured I'd get a smoother start and beat up less starting near the back there and it wasn't overcrowded. I didn't experience any real argy bargy until the turn point and I would've got that where ever I started. So that plan worked.

Target sub 1:10 - Actual 1:08:09 image

T1 - Had to go sockless on the bike because a sock went missing in T1, otherwise relatively smooth.

Target 4 mins - Actual 4:35

Bike - Essentially uneventful.  Northern Loop was nowhere near as bad as I remember from a recce ride I did at the end of last year. Sailed thru it to be honest.
    I wasn't at all familiar with the Southern Loop so had no points of reference to how I was doing. Struggled a bit with the wind on lap 1, lap two wasn't any easier but I felt better.
    With about 24 miles to go I tried work out how much time I had left to hit target and I thought I was going to be ok. Then the wind and the climbs back towards the finish had me doubting myself now, they were slowing me down too much and I was working really hard now to keep the pace up.  Once over them I tried to push on again and whilst everyone else was taking it gingerly thru the rough section by the Hall I was riding it like a BMX Bandit, my bike is rubbish so wasn't bothered.
    The road back to HPP seemed to go on for ever, but I got there eventually and handed my bike off to someone.

Target sub 6 - Actual 5:51:27 image

T2 - No probs here did have to stop for a comfort break exiting transition tho.

Target 3 mins - Actual 3:26

Run - Although I'd taken time off both the first two disciplines which gave a massive buffer for my overall time target the run was what it was all about.
    I left T2 feeling ok, stomach wasn't 100% but the legs were fine.  Took on just water for the first lap of the lake and down to the turn around by then my stomach was feeling ok so I started on the gels, I took a gel every other feed station with water and then Hi5 on the others.
    I felt I was running well and based on the 5 mile markers my pace spot on. As the run went on my knees started to to ache a bit but nothing bad, my shoulders/traps were giving me more grief, then on the last lap my right quad started twingeing a bit, but I was too close to let anything stop me although the wind was trying it's best. The last mile or so to the finish was a real grueler and I did lose a fair bit of time here but I got there without walking.

Target sub 3:30 with no walking - Actual 3:29:19 with no walking*image
    (* two pee stops but they are permissible under my rules).

Overall - The final 3-4 weeks had been terrible for me, I felt like 5h1t and was really doubting myself. People kept telling me that's quite often how it is and when the race starts it'll be fine. 
    And it was fine, more than fine it was AWESOME!.

Things could not have gone better really.

Target sub 11 - Actual 10:36:59 image

• Thanks to all the Pirates for a fantastic weekend.It was great to meet you all.

The support on the course was great, and I couldn't have done it without you (in fact without the Pirates I'd have loads of money, my house wouldn't need so much attention and I'd remember what my family look like. But that's another story.... image).

The adrenalin high and the immodium are wearing off but the memories will be there for years. You never forget your first image.

Race report one day....

• M.arshalliniO. wrote (see)

Awesome effort, M.arshalliniO. Loved tracking your training and seeing how it ought to be done. Congrats on "putting it out there" and getting the reward.
    Loving the new name too!

• M.arshalliniO. wrote (see)

And it was fine, more than fine it was AWESOME!.

Things could not have gone better really.

M.arshalliniO, absolutely fantastic mate, massive well done imageimage

I need to think of a way of pimping my name to include Iron....image, now that I've actually done it image

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

The last one really needs a caption... "Is this a donut I see before me?"

He says Cake saved his life with that donout.  Twice. So thank you from me for looking after him. image

• Yay TST .. so you were the tiger at the roundabout .. brilliantimage .. thanks for your support and the yarring and not faaarrring ..even if the not farrrr was a bit of a fib image.

• Thank you fellow racers, and fab supporters - great weekend. LOVED the race, hand on heart, I enjoyed every single minute. Pirates are awesome!

• BB ... you could have an O. in the middle instead   image

• kittenkat wrote (see)
    button mushroom wrote (see)

To all the pirates that did the outlaw go job To the pirates on the feedstation thank you for haveing me lot's of love . (S.M.T.) AKA BUTTON MUSHROOM.

You need an avatar!

oh dear .... Monkeys and guns springs to mind image

its a 100x120 pixel limit though Button so you should be able to fit it all in image

• Don't know what all the fuss is about doing one of these...............

{Nurse when do you think I will be able to walk properly again?}

• For anyone frustrated by the broken link on the OSB results page, the finish times are also avaialable here:

http://www.racetimingsystems.com/public/results.aspx?raceid=2387

Fab weekend!

• I think it was you I was chatting to, Ferret - did you manage to drive home, or did you have to call the AA?image

• Solid stuff Marshallini... If you come back next year you will only get strongerimage

and you already know about lanza.......?

• I'm having a little celebratory glass of some sparkly bubbles image

What a fantastic weekend!!

Thanks to everyone especially the Pirate feed station which was absolutely amazing. It was so fab to see the signs leading up to you guys, I got so excited I almost took a guy out throwing my drinks bottle at the bottle dump! image

The support on the run really kept me going and I'm grateful to you all. I wasn't having fun by then and really thought I was going to dnf. The one and only reason I forced myself to carry on was that my son was there and I was determined not to fail in front of him.

It was a tough day for me but overall it's a day I will look back on and be proud of. I have a shiny new peebee and have done a time (especially on the bike) I am very proud of and happy with!

I'm just very proud to be a Pirate and really wouldn't want to do an Ironman (or triathlon for that matter) any other way.

Congratulations to all new additions to the Ironman family! image 

I'm going to have a brief retirement from the full distance, but will be back for the 10th Birthday of the PSOF in 2015. Please can we go somewhere sunny with no wind and.. oh and a downhill course would be lovely!  imageimage

• i *may* consider IM in 2015 image

• Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

i *may* consider IM in 2015 image

actually amongst many other things last night....image you said WE COULD ADD you to our 2013 start list

... i'm just looking for an IM with a 25m out and back swim....

TAXI!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Is that 25 metres or miles?

It was great to meet everyone at the weekend. Either I'm easily influenced, or you lot are powerful persuaders - I've been out of the bike today and am looking for a half ironman to enter this autumn as a test for the full thing next year...

• sarah the bookworm wrote (see)

Is that 25 metres or miles?

It was great to meet everyone at the weekend. Either I'm easily influenced, or you lot are powerful persuaders - I've been out of the bike today and am looking for a half ironman to enter this autumn as a test for the full thing next year...

on the question, errr..... i'll let someone else answer that (do they do a 50 mile swim badge? I think IronCat was looking into getting a badge from memory of the meeting)

on the second part, i'll add you to the 2013 start list

• Just got in folks and unpacked my car.  A fantastic weekend full of surprises and learning.  

My race report: 

Prep: Forgot my garmin so my HRM was useless.  Thanks to DK for thinning out my transition bags from himalayan propotions to something more IM-like.

Swim:  Barley's tip about starting on the outside of a pen worked for me.  Target 1:30, actual 1:12 ish image  .

T1:  Got naked, wehey!

Bike: Support was amazing, hated the wind but enjoyed the course.  Spotted TST and her hat.  The trip through the farmyard at the end was something to remember as were the bruised nuts on the rubber speedbump.  Took high five mix for first time and my stomach bubbled and brewed for the next hour, think I nearly regretted it.  Target 7:15, actual 6:39.

T2: Met a whole host of fellows.  Dunked the mandatory twice into Cat's vasaline tub. 

Run:  Felt good for the first couple of miles but it very quickly turned into a battle.  Missing my HRM and due to my inexperience, my pace on the bike was way above my target zone and I was feeling payback time.  Couldn't take any nutrition and could only bike oranges and sip water.  My past 8 weeks had no running due to injury and there was nothing in my legs.  Shuffled/walked.  Pirate support was unbelievable and buoyed me for nearly every lap.  Target 5;00, Actual 5:29

I have to pay homage to the pirate support and help.  Even my mates from my local tri club felt lifted by the whole pirate thing and felt the support went well beyond the pirates.  A big and heartfelt thank-you.

To those I met and spent time with, very seldom does one walk into an established group with no experience and no clue and yet feel completely at ease.  You seem to have the formula spot on with the right mix of personalities.  Long may that continue. 

• Keep the reports coming folks! Well done to all of you, i had such a fab weekend. Supporting is ACE!
  • Artful Hen wrote (see)
    Amen to that, Hope.

So you've NOT retired?! image

• image "Dunked the mandatory twice into Cat's vasaline tub"  image sounds uncomfortable

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Thanks to all the Pirates for a fantastic weekend.It was great to meet you all.

The support on the course was great, and I couldn't have done it without you (in fact without the Pirates I'd have loads of money, my house wouldn't need so much attention and I'd remember what my family look like. But that's another story.... image).

The adrenalin high and the immodium are wearing off but the memories will be there for years. You never forget your first image.

Race report one day....

Ditto....spent this evening ordering wood to build a shed and looking up roofers to fix my leaky roof!

But, all done with a permanent smile, still living off the adrenaline and satisfaction. What an awesome weekend, race went exactly to plan in terms of no panic attacks in the water, no technical issues on the bike and no nutrition problems and my time significantly better than I dared to hope for.

Had previously experienced the magic of pirate support at a few smaller events but this was something else and I'm eternally grateful for every single aaaarrghhh throughout the day.

Only regret from the whole weekend was that I wasn't able to hang around to see the later pirates in but by the time I'd finished my kids (not to mention wife and parents) were definitely in need of food, rest and warmth.....hope I can be forgivenimage. I will definitely repay the favour at the first opportunity!

Like several others I've indulged in a bit of name changery.....after the weekend I'm hooked and my previous distraction of paragliding which had been put on hold has sadly now been binned for the foreseeable! (wonders if selling paragliding kit will fund slinky TT bike??)

Great to meet and chat to so many pirates during the race and at the pub; sorry I didn't manage to speak to more. We need a rougues gallery of faces / forum names / real names somewhere as I can't keep up!

Well done everyone, sounds like there are a lot of people very pleased with their results and of course commiserations to those who DNF; as others have said it can only make you stronger for next time.

• Nicko. Hdau wrote (see)

Don't know what all the fuss is about doing one of these...............

{Nurse when do you think I will be able to walk properly again?}

Define "properly".
    The stresses of the event may leave you with a bit of a wiggle in the hips but, from what I hear and if those photos are anything to go by, that's the norm in Pirate circles.

• I lost to Gladys on the mincing award, as did Ferret, Jaffa and a few others - I thought I would have been a "shoe in" with my kilt on too! I even did a practice mince at about 20 miles for cake, bookie and Tom and the were very impressed... I think Gladys paid off the committeeimage
  • Just popped in to say a massive well done to everyone and now see I have about a week's reading to do!

Awesome effort by everyone - runners and supporters alike. Well done to the first timers, old timers and everyone in between. Sorry I could not be there and I can only imagine the party you guys had on Monday.  

• Well done everyone.

Thanks for all the support out on the course, and thanks to everyone that gave their time to either marshall or man the feedstation.

Great to meet so many people and exchange brief words, Aaarghhhs or smiles on the bike and run.

Sorry if I was a grumpy twat on the last lap, I was just hurting badly, I was aware of the shouts from the grandstand but couldn't find the energy to muster an acknowledgement. The only thing that kept me going on that last lap was the thought of finishing with my daughter in my arms image

Well done again everyone.

Someone stick a fork in me I'm done.