Half Ironman

Hiya people,

I just wanted to know what half Ironman distance events are out there and any recommendations?

I have seen teh 70.3 Ironman website and im after an event in the UK and teh Ironman support team say there is going to be the same event next year. I'd liek to do it but before I sign up are there any other ones I shouls look at first?

Costwolds looks good and I think that half Ironman distance?

Comments

• Shiploads.... If you go onto the BTF website you can search for events by distance.

Last year I raced the following and would recommend any of these

Bala
    Cowman
    Belviour Castle
    The Vitruvian
  • trentham big half is pretty well organised and on next month..
  • also day in the lakes on the last weekend of this month..
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    new 1/2 events this year

Cotswolds 113
    Ely 1/2

plus established ones mentioned and

Swashbuckler
    Marshman
    New Forest 1/2
    Little Woody
  • Marts there are tons out there I'd just think about what sort of race you want because of all the different types there are and how far you want to travel. You can even do full on fell and MTB type half ironmans. If it helps Trentham is very good and cheap for the type of race it is and from what I've heard the cowman this year is going to be fun.  
  • If you are prepared to travel to Scotland there is an excellent race in the Aberfeldy Middle Distance which takes in two beautiful lochs and great countryside.
  • Couple Challenge (in Northumberland).
    Fambridge Yacht Haven 1/2
    Full Boar Middle.
  • Thanks all...

im based in Wales so I would liek to keep it local ish, but I dont mind going away for a weekend so thanks for the advice.

I'd like to keep it simple and flat as its going to be my first IM event..

• image Wales? Bala matey everything thinks it's great but not played there personally, Afraid it's in june through.
  • marts2smooth wrote (see)

You're stuffed then !!!
  • Cake wrote (see)
    image Wales? Bala matey everything thinks it's great but not played there personally, Afraid it's in june through.
    I wont make it this year as Im not physiclly ready.. im still building up my triathlon CV image
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    marts2smooth wrote (see)

You're stuffed then !!!
    Ermm? How come?
  • it just that most Im events are hilly certainly IMWales.. however Outlaw is relatively flat with around 800metre climbs and compare to wales its around 2600metres..
  • Marshman is flat (only one hill on the bike and none on the run). Can get windy though, and quite a long way from Wales.
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    marts2smooth wrote (see)

You're stuffed then !!!
    Ermm? How come?
    Why do you want to do a flat one ????  You need a challenge....  Bala ?
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    if you want flat and close to Wales then the Cotswold 113 at Cirencester is about the best - 1st running is this w/e so await feedback. I looked at entering but other things got in the way and the bike only has one hill of any note - and you do it twice (2 laps) - other than that it's as flat as a flat thing.

downside of flat races is no rest - no freewheeling on downhills - so you can mash the legs more than you think.

Flats boring! I’d would be worried if were you by the way this lot will talk you into doing an ironman before you know it. If it helps Trentham on 10th July is flat other than a couple of bumps in the road on the bike barely worth calling hills. It’s near stoke so not that far depending on which part of Wales you live in.

Steve Ho wrote (see)
    it just that most Im events are hilly certainly IMWales.. however Outlaw is relatively flat with around 800metre climbs and compare to wales its around 2600metres..

See your going to end up doing an ironman? image

• Marts - now I'm confused - are you looking for an ironman distance or middle distance or both and is it for next year?
    Cake wrote (see)
    image Wales? Bala matey everything thinks it's great but not played there personally, Afraid it's in june through.
    I wont make it this year as Im not physiclly ready.. im still building up my triathlon CV image
     Bala half was just held on Sunday, in the worst weater conditions ever, so probably just as well you've missed this one!  Sign up for next year though image
  • Gyraffe wrote (see)
    Marts - now I'm confused - are you looking for an ironman distance or middle distance or both and is it for next year?

Half Ironman ... please!

Well to start anyway! image

• Whats your training like at the moment matey? Is it a Half you can do in the next few months or best to wait until the autumn or 2012?
  • bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

Hi Marts,

I did Bala on Sunday for my first half, previously only having done Hever Castle olympic last September (which was actually not a proper olympic as swim and run both short!).

Despite the appauling weather, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it for your first next year, if you can wait that long! Don't worry about the hills, all part of the fun, what goes up must come down!

Plus it's in Wales so perfect for you!

Of course I've only done this one so can't comment on the others which I'm sure are great too!

• My training is ok I blog it all here http://marts2smooth.blogspot.com/ 

Do you think I do enough to complete an half IM?

I dont think i'l be fit enough to do one this year if im honest to myself..

I dot mind hills, I did the Wales IM half marathon down Tenby 2 weeks ago and it was a tuffy!

• bhflyerbhflyer ✭✭✭

Looking at that I'd say your doing much more running than I was in the run up to Bala, as I suffered from some niggly foot problems. You're probably swimming more, but cycling less, although a lot of mine was 11m commutes to work rather than proper long training rides.

My time wasn't great (6.24) and the run hurt, but it's doable!

BTW I'm a similar age to you.

Hope this helps

• I would say you are fit enough but that you would need to build up the cycling and probably cut back on running to optimise fitness for tri. This autumn would be possible - although it may not be enough time to wean you off running - next spring/summer perfectly reasonable for middle distance.

Agree with others that Bala is a great first middle distance race as very well organised and supported.

Vitruvian is also excellent but further for you to travel.

I suggest you enter both for next year.

I like your log - lots of lovely data.

• bhflyer wrote (see)

Looking at that I'd say your doing much more running than I was in the run up to Bala, as I suffered from some niggly foot problems. You're probably swimming more, but cycling less, although a lot of mine was 11m commutes to work rather than proper long training rides.

My time wasn't great (6.24) and the run hurt, but it's doable!

BTW I'm a similar age to you.

Hope this helps

Thanks! Thats a great help... If you know of some good places to get some training plans that would be great!

Gyraffe wrote (see)

I would say you are fit enough but that you would need to build up the cycling and probably cut back on running to optimise fitness for tri. This autumn would be possible - although it may not be enough time to wean you off running - next spring/summer perfectly reasonable for middle distance.

Agree with others that Bala is a great first middle distance race as very well organised and supported.

Vitruvian is also excellent but further for you to travel.

I suggest you enter both for next year.

I like your log - lots of lovely data.

I'll have a look at the Vitruvian I do enjoy my running so i'll probably go for the sprng if im fit enough...

Note to self leave running shoes at home and get out on my bike more! image

Thanks for the help and info people..

• If you fancy the vit be aware it will fill up quick can’t see any reason why you can’t play at a half ironman at this autumn the rest is just down to finishing time.  image
  • Thanks for the encouragement cake! image

This autumn the events are?

• Mostly sprints and Olympic tri’s as far as I know but a few longer ones in September and October. Anyone got any details of a nice half for this young chap?
  • Anyone done the Full Boar Middle Distance?? Thats 18th September i tink...